• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hub and spokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I'm not really sure this is thread worthy, but I was thinking if you took a train up* the Trent Valley line from Stafford to Rugby, then every station with the exception of Atherstone has it's own connecting line into Birmingham New Street. Of seven stations over fifty or so miles there are six unique lines into Birmingham. Tamworth and Nuneaton's route in shares about seven miles or so of track from Water Orton onwards but still, those are a lot of lines radiating out from one station all connecting to the same line, isn't it?

* and yes, I said up so I could conveniently leave out Polesworth which doesn't have a platform on the up line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trog

Established Member
Its part of the nature of a Black Hole that it sucks things in from every direction.

Atherstone - Baddersley Sidings - Baddersley colliery - Kingsbury Branch - Kingsbury Junction - Water Orton - New St.

kieron

Established Member
Of seven stations over fifty or so miles there are six unique lines into Birmingham. Tamworth and Nuneaton's route in shares about seven miles or so of track from Water Orton onwards but still, those are a lot of lines radiating out from one station all connecting to the same line, isn't it?
You see something similar in other places where an important railway misses out a large city, such as the various connections between the WCML and both Liverpool and Manchester, and the ECML and Leeds.

Links both to large cities and to long distance railways are attractive to railway users, so a railway which links both will generally be reasonably well used.

Status
Not open for further replies.