• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hucknall - Newcastle permitted routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

Established Member
I’m not sure if this is the correct thread to post this but I’m posting it here hoping that the right people might read it. Feel free to move my post if it doesn’t belong here.

A few weeks ago I travelled from Hucknall (Robin Hood Line in Nottinghamshire) to Newcastle using an any permitted Off Peak Return. I’d done a bit of research and knew that this ticket was valid by the following routes:
Hucknall-Nottingham-Grantham-Newcastle
Hucknall-Nottingham-Newark-Newcastle
Hucknall-Worksop—Retford-Newcastle
Hucknall-Nottingham-Sheffield-Newcastle
Hucknall-Nottingham-Derby-Sheffield-Newcastle

In the past there used to be a slightly cheaper ‘via Sheffield’ ticket which was available only for journeys via Nottingham and Sheffield but this now does not seem to be available. Strange because it is still available from Nottingham to Newcastle.
The TVM at Hucknall used to sell both the ‘any permitted’ and the more restricted ‘via Sheffield’ tickets.

The shorter route Hucknall-Worksop-Sheffield-Newcastle surprisingly has never been a permitted route, although if you really search for it online, a higher priced ticket could be found for that route. How passengers buying a ticket from Hucknall or indeed Mansfield are supposed to know that both the ‘any permitted’ and the old ‘via Sheffield’ were not valid via Worksop and Sheffield I do not know as it is a shorter and sensible route.

Now to my main point.
When I went to the TVM at Hucknall recently there were two Off Peak Return Fares available on the machine.
Any Permitted @ £105.60 and Via Sheffield @ £126.20.
This higher priced Via Sheffield Ticket is actually the Via Worksop and Sheffield Ticket. You do not need to buy this ticket to travel via Nottingham and Sheffield, as the any permitted ticket allows this, but how do passengers know? Where has the old cheaper ticket gone for via Nottingham and Sheffield?

I have done a bit of research online and the disappearance of the cheaper via Sheffield tickets, still available from Nottingham, seem to be an issue for lots of journeys from RHL stations to destinations via York. The TVMs are offering a higher priced Via Sheffield Ticket for the shorter route via Worksop and Sheffield instead.

I hope that is isn’t too complicated to understand and that the issue will soon be fixed. Incidentally, I am aware that the journey could have been done cheaper by travelling via Worksop and splitting tickets at Sheffield, but I wanted more flexibility.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I’m not sure how you think this might be ‘fixed’ but it’s highly unlikely that CrossCountry will be reducing their fares.

ChrisC

Established Member
I’m not sure how you think this might be ‘fixed’ but it’s highly unlikely that CrossCountry will be reducing their fares.
I don’t think it is a case of CrossCountry having to reduce their fares. I don’t think that CrossCountry will even be aware of what I believe to be an error. I think it’s more a case of an error being made which has removed the slightly cheaper fare that had always been available via Nottingham and Sheffield and replaced it by a much higher priced fare via the shorter route of Worksop and Sheffield. The route via Nottingham is still valid with an any permitted ticket but the route via Worksop is not. Advertising the ticket on the TVM as Via Sheffield will cause many people who are travelling via Nottingham to buy the wrong ticket. Perhaps the higher priced ticket needs to sold as something like via Kiveton Bridge.

It’s a complicated one and difficult to explain. The same range of fares as from Nottingham were always available until recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.