• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huddersfield & Marsden to Wembley Central for Play Off Final, Mon 29 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimm

Established Member
The first of many hopefully?

(Just thinking about those mid-week/weekend evening away games in places afar)

Won't be happening - most Premier League grounds only allow 2,500-3,000 away fans - so given competition from coaches, cars and scheduled train services, there just won't be the numbers of potential passengers on offer to Retro to justify running a train - Wembley on Monday was a different matter, as Yorkie says, with ten times more potential customers.

Remains to be seen if Northern thinks there's potential in specials for any games against the five clubs in the North West. They did run one back from Barnsley in February this year. I would have thought a special from Huddersfield and Brighouse direct to Burnley would be an attractive proposition, for example, given the roads aren't that great. We shall see.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
It will be interesting to see what the away allocation is at Wembley next season. Given that the stadium holds 90,000 I would have thought it would be quite high.

CosherB

Established Member
It will be interesting to see what the away allocation is at Wembley next season. Given that the stadium holds 90,000 I would have thought it would be quite high.

8 - 10,000 I'd have guessed. Spurs may not be able to have the full 90,000 total capacity for segregation reasons.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Did the train break even?
I believe the train covered its costs but didn't make a profit.

Also to add to the earlier discussion of whether or not people had to be football fans, the train had sufficient additional capacity for enthusiasts/daytrippers. Effectively, Retro didn't mind who the passengers were, as long as they paid their way and behaved ;)

jimm

Established Member

Apparently - if a post on the Burnley fans' forum is to be believed - it will be the regulation 3,000 that they have to allocate to visiting fans.

Remember, Premier League rules mean that clubs can't charge visitors more than £30,. There is no such cap on what home fans have to pay, so looks like the other 87,000 will be sold for whatever Spurs think they can get.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Apparently - if a post on the Burnley fans' forum is to be believed - it will be the regulation 3,000 that they have to allocate to visiting fans.

Remember, Premier League rules mean that clubs can't charge visitors more than £30,. There is no such cap on what home fans have to pay, so looks like the other 87,000 will be sold for whatever Spurs think they can get.

I have a lot of time for the Clarets but I'm not sure that Spurs will sell out for their visit, in which case an away allocation of 3,000 would be cutting their nose off to spite their face. We shall see.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I also fail to understand what "railway types" means; many forum members are also football supporters, some of whom are supporters of Huddersfield Town!

Indeed - on a 'Sky Bet' picture of the crowd, I spotted one railway enthusiast who travelled the tour, stood next to another who has been a regular on previous tours. Also on board the train, who also went to the match, were the owner of Deltic 55022 (which has been used by Retro on 2 occasions) and the former editor of Railways Illustrated. Certainly plenty of cross-over!

Andyh82

Established Member
Won't be happening - most Premier League grounds only allow 2,500-3,000 away fans - so given competition from coaches, cars and scheduled train services, there just won't be the numbers of potential passengers on offer to Retro to justify running a train - Wembley on Monday was a different matter, as Yorkie says, with ten times more potential customers.

Remains to be seen if Northern thinks there's potential in specials for any games against the five clubs in the North West. They did run one back from Barnsley in February this year. I would have thought a special from Huddersfield and Brighouse direct to Burnley would be an attractive proposition, for example, given the roads aren't that great. We shall see.

One thing we know is that I expect games at the John Smiths Stadium will be sell outs next season, so TPE trains will get even busier, plus as it's the premier league loads of matches will be at funny times for TV reasons including Sundays and evenings.

jimm

Established Member
I have a lot of time for the Clarets but I'm not sure that Spurs will sell out for their visit, in which case an away allocation of 3,000 would be cutting their nose off to spite their face. We shall see.

My reading of what was said on the Burnley forum is that it will be 3,000 tickets tops, whoever the visitors to Wembley are.

Clubs seem increasingly reluctant to change segregation and stewarding arrangements on a match-by-match basis, even in cases where they probably could get in more visiting fans in place of those of their own support who don't deem a particular game attractive enough to turn up for.

Iskra

Established Member
Huddersfield in a unique position for trains like this as well as it's such a hassle to go to Manchester or Wakefield/Leeds to catch a train to London. Really should have a direct service.

This is slightly disingenuous. You are omitting to mention the GC services from Bradford, Halifax, Brighouse or Mirfield which are closer to Huddersfield than Leeds. I don't think it's too hard to travel to Leeds for a London train. I've travelled from Batley to Manchester before to get cheaper fares on VTWC than VTEC were offering. Huddersfield needs better links to Sheffield and Wakefield as a priority over London IMO.

The above said, I'm still happy to see Huddersfield and Dewsbury will be getting a London service soon-ish and I'd like to see it extend to more than one train per day, but I'm not sure how VTEC's 80X fleet size will allow that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Thomas Cook are the PL travel service provider. They have (and do) run trains for London clubs ( mainly Spuds and Chelsea) to various destinations. There is a system in place for arranging these trains although they tend to run to mid week games where the needs of TV mean the games finish after the last train home. They tend to run at a subsidised price for club members & season ticket holders.

No reason why any PL club couldn't tap into this other than demand.

jimm

Established Member
This is slightly disingenuous. You are omitting to mention the GC services from Bradford, Halifax, Brighouse or Mirfield which are closer to Huddersfield than Leeds. I don't think it's too hard to travel to Leeds for a London train. I've travelled from Batley to Manchester before to get cheaper fares on VTWC than VTEC were offering. Huddersfield needs better links to Sheffield and Wakefield as a priority over London IMO.

The above said, I'm still happy to see Huddersfield and Dewsbury will be getting a London service soon-ish and I'd like to see it extend to more than one train per day, but I'm not sure how VTEC's 80X fleet size will allow that.

Just try finding somewhere to park at or near Brighouse or Mirfield stations if you drive there from Huddersfield in an attempt to use GC - the Huddersfield Examiner has run umpteen stories about what a major problem parking is around Mirfield station. Money for a 200-space car park extension is supposed to be on the way but Leeds-bound commuters will probably fill those up in an instant.

If people are going to drive to a station from Huddersfield to get a train to London, most will go to Wakefield Westgate - 900 parking spaces and frequent London trains.

The fastest all-rail Huddersfield-London journeys are either via Wakefield or changing from GC at Mirfield but none of the timetables seems to be optimised with these links in mind and the attitude seems to be that there are so many Leeds services now that it's easiest to point people at those, or, as Yorkie say, changing at York...(the Northern pocket timetable doesn't even bother giving London connection times at Wakefield)

In the absence of lots of passengers connecting to and from London, I have my doubts that there would be much point adding more Huddersfield-Wakefield trains.

How exactly would you suggest improving links with Sheffield? No one is ever going to foot the bill for redoubling between Huddersfield and Barnsley, which is the only way that route could be speeded up with some semi-fasts on top of the stoppers and I have my doubts about whether you could afford both the existing level of service via Penistone plus adding a Huddersfield-Barnsley-Sheffield service via Horbury and Darton - though the latter would certainly cut the end-to-end journey time.

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
Thomas Cook are the PL travel service provider. They have (and do) run trains for London clubs ( mainly Spuds and Chelsea) to various destinations. There is a system in place for arranging these trains although they tend to run to mid week games where the needs of TV mean the games finish after the last train home. They tend to run at a subsidised price for club members & season ticket holders.

No reason why any PL club couldn't tap into this other than demand.

I doubt Huddersfield's budget will stretch far enough to cover a big chunk of the the costs of a charter train - the ones Spurs and Chelsea have offered seem to be heavily subsidised. And I'd be interested to know quite how many people actually took up the offer from Spurs of a trip to Swansea and back this April, getting into Euston at, er, 4am...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I ended up booking a standard Off-Peak return due to the delay in getting reassurances that arrangements were in place in the event of extra time and penalties which as it turned out were required. Wish I'd used it with hindsight once those assurances were given though.

Status
Not open for further replies.