• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huge usage of splitting

mrmartin

I was on a peak service from CDF to PAD, it seemed every passenger near me had a split at Swindon (could see on their phones when tickets were getting checked to Swindon, and the multiple scans of the tickets going on).

I used to be the only person with a split. I've never seen so many people with split tickets before. I assume this is due to trainline now offering them and much wider awareness, but this must be really affecting GWR revenue (at least on paper, I probably would think twice for paying the full 'non-split' fare) and potentially flow data to Swindon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuartl

As the OP says, Trainline now have advertisements that specifically refer to splitting. So many more people will now be aware of it.

RJ

Established Member
I travel on the route several times a week and some of the guards make announcements to say that anyone with a Didcot split will need a new ticket when the train doesn't stop there. Swindon is a decent splitting point though, especially to reduce costs at peak times. Most guards wouldn't care though and some will probably like it if they get commission for every ticket scanned, two or three per passenger is better than one! For this reason I always tell them I have a split and try to get all three tickets under one booking to get them in one PDF.

It has always been permitted it's just there is greater awareness now. As for revenue loss, a more reasonable price will attract more custom. For instance some people who hang about waiting for the 19:18 Paddington to Cardiff because of the cheaper price might pay £30 extra for a split on a peak train, but not pay full whack. Given that 19:18 is a favourite for 5 car short formations, making it a thoroughly unpleasant experience if you aren't on board by 18:55, spreading out the demand a bit is no bad thing.

Last edited:

janb

As the OP says, Trainline now have advertisements that specifically refer to splitting. So many more people will now be aware of it.

Not just advertisements but defaulting (as far as I can tell when a customer shows me "but the app says its this price") to SplitSave when producing fare results so even totally passive users end up with splits.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not just advertisements but defaulting (as far as I can tell when a customer shows me "but the app says its this price") to SplitSave when producing fare results so even totally passive users end up with splits.
I still feel that Trainline could do more to communicate exactly what it is that they're selling with SplitSave and the extra conditions (i.e. train must call at the split point!) that can apply as a result...

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I still feel that Trainline could do more to communicate exactly what it is that they're selling with SplitSave and the extra conditions (i.e. train must call at the split point!) that can apply as a result...
It really couldn't say it any clearer

londonbridge

Established Member
I mainly use Trainline to check timetables but my new strategy is, when it offers a splitsave fare, to make a note of exactly what tickets are involved before booking them separately elsewhere and saving on the Trainline booking fee as well as the split. Eg when doing a Sunderland fane I would normally just go straight to the Grand Central app and book there without thinking about splits, however I noticed Trainline offering a saving by splitting at York, so I then went to Grand Central to book the tickets separately as stated.