• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Executive - "Operational Incident" 15/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Does anybody know what the operational incident was that affected the 17:18 King X to Hull yesterday? It seemed to involve a new Train Manager. I hope the original person was ok.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
Does anybody know what the operational incident was that affected the 17:18 King X to Hull yesterday? It seemed to involve a new Train Manager. I hope the original person was ok.

I would guess it was an incident to do with the safe operation of the train which will need to be investigated.

From experience an operating incident is a polite way of saying someone made a mistake, and the relevant parties will need to investigate the mistake.

Can include, but is not limited to a signal passed at danger, wrong side release, trap and drag, two on the red as well as hundreds of other reasons.

westv

Established Member
The question was more "What was it?" rather than "What is it?" but if it ends up that nobody knows/is prepared to say then fine.

greyman42

Established Member
I would guess it was an incident to do with the safe operation of the train which will need to be investigated.

From experience an operating incident is a polite way of saying someone made a mistake, and the relevant parties will need to investigate the mistake.

Can include, but is not limited to a signal passed at danger, wrong side release, trap and drag, two on the red as well as hundreds of other reasons.
What is "two on the red"?

SuperOwl86

I might be wrong here but guessing it may be buzzing the driver to go when on a red signal.

I'm not sure how it happened but the issue was the train started to leave with the train manager left on the platform.

westv

Established Member
I'm not sure how it happened but the issue was the train started to leave with the train manager left on the platform.
Ah, that explains why we travelled a few hundred yards out of Kings X, stopped and then reversed back after a delay.

Jonfun

Established Member
Does happen surprisingly often with HSTs. No door interlock so there's nothing stopping the driver going (or being signalled to go) without all the doors locked and the guard on board. The "long" pulses on the buzzer can also cause confusion between the buzzer codes too (eg 3-3 misheard as 6, or 2 - oh heck, someone climbing out through a droplight - 1 misheard as 2)

CC 72100

Established Member
Does happen surprisingly often with HSTs. No door interlock so there's nothing stopping the driver going (or being signalled to go) without all the doors locked and the guard on board. The "long" pulses on the buzzer can also cause confusion between the buzzer codes too (eg 3-3 misheard as 6, or 2 - oh heck, someone climbing out through a droplight - 1 misheard as 2)

...which is why you never give 3-3 when 6 could also be plausible without pulling a passcomm first, or actually go and have that conversation directly considering its likely in a station (or at least that is what I have always been told!)

TheEdge

Established Member

Interesting aside. The AGA Mk3 sets are slightly different with a few operational mods. Its impossible to use the buzzer with the CDL released. There is still no interlock so the train can still move but the guard cannot give RTS with the CDL released. Also to protect the mishearing issue (and after an issue where phantom buzzers were being heard in the locos, and acted on) GA uses a 2-2-2 buzzer code to give RTS on the Mk3 set. So its the normal 2 to the driver replied with 2, the guard then gives another 2, confirming the signal and the driver only moves on the second 2.

74A

Interesting aside. The AGA Mk3 sets are slightly different with a few operational mods. Its impossible to use the buzzer with the CDL released. There is still no interlock so the train can still move but the guard cannot give RTS with the CDL released. Also to protect the mishearing issue (and after an issue where phantom buzzers were being heard in the locos, and acted on) GA uses a 2-2-2 buzzer code to give RTS on the Mk3 set. So its the normal 2 to the driver replied with 2, the guard then gives another 2, confirming the signal and the driver only moves on the second 2.

Same with Great Western HST. The buzzer at the door panel will not work with the doors unlocked. Mod was done about 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.