• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huntingdon to Peterborough - 2, 3 or 4 tracks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
When I worked at LCC I did a levelling job out in the sticks for a potential resurfacing scheme, on the proviso that the length had to be re-surveyed prior to work starting as it is known for the ground to swell and contract in height by over a metre over the course of the year, which is why many of the local fen roads are very "uppy downy".

There is one section of road somewhere near Boston (forgive me its nigh on 15 years since I last went down that way so cannot remember exactly where) that was fairly level during the winter months and like a roller coaster in the summer.

Suffice it to say, I found many of the roads much more fun to drive in the summer ;)

And Fenland drivers certainly know that. :D I imagine that suspension repairs are quite lucrative round there.

Back on track, wasn't there some sort of arrangement involving timbers and animal skins on the Holme section? Replaced with something more modern in the 1980s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Here is a photo of the stretch between Huntingdon and Conington - taken at Abbots Ripton. There is clearly space here for another track subject to OLE structure alterations.

Looks like you might be able to avoid the nightmare of tearing down the headspans if you just attached a cantilever to the reverse side of the headspan support and ran the fourth track outside the posts.

Looks like there is enough room.

PinzaC55

Its worth remembering that the OHLE masts are now 25 years old. I don't know what their lifespan is but there would be a good case for widening when they come up for renewal?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Its worth remembering that the OHLE masts are now 25 years old. I don't know what their lifespan is but there would be a good case for widening when they come up for renewal?

Structurally, life span is 100 years+

Status
Not open for further replies.