• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hurst Green - East Grinstead Landslip 18/01/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my imaginary world EG to Three Bridges becomes a tram line and heads off to Crawley and then Gatwick Airport. But in the 1960s that would have required some psychotropic substances to be even contemplated. The line arriving on the fast side was a real problem - if it had arrived on the slow side then a combination with the Horsham Branch might have been contemplated.

Back the the main topic the service north of the slip seems to have worked reasonably well, at least for the Victoria trains. Thameslink ones are cancelled - I assume because Hurst Green can’t function with extra trains - unlike EG it has to deal with the Uckfield trains as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WizCastro197

Established Member
Was there ever any acceptance at Three Bridges for parking? I thought it was always Haywards Heath
There was, although, Southern did advise on their disruptions page, that the car park is almost full by 07:00.

The word is the landslip repair is behind by 24 hours and a service may not be restored until Tuesday morning
Yes this has already been noted upthread, and on Southern’s disruptions thread. However, service restoration is planned for Wednesday morning, rather than Tuesday.

Restoration of service is now expected to be tomorrow (Tuesday 24th January), rather than Wednesday 25th, and they estimate line will be reopened at 02:00.

Due to a landslip between Hurst Green and East Grinstead, all lines are currently blocked. As a result, trains between London Victoria and East Grinstead will terminate / start at Hurst Green.

Lingfield, Dormans and East Grinstead will not be served by a train service.

Disruption is expected until 02:00 on Tuesday 24 January

Last edited:

mrbouffant

Good work by the repair teams! Obviously the site being close to Lingfield Station and to surrounding roads helped speed this temporary repair along.

E27007

The driving in of vertical metal pile sheets into the slipsite proved to be harder than usual, and took longer than expected, but I hear the line will be handed back for Tuesday morning with a 20 mph ESR over the repair site

Last edited:

E27007

It seems the short term repairs have worked, services have been restored.
The repairs are long-term and permanent, we should not hear of issues for decades, the 20 mph ESR is short-term, to give the track and ballast time to settle under traffic before a final inspection and restoration to normal line speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.