• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hydrogen VS Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnjb8

Established Member
It seems that bus builders are taking an interest in building hydrogen buses. Wrightbus is preferring hydrogen over electric while successful electric bus builders, Optare and Alexander-Dennis, have thrown their hat into the hydrogen sector. While Caetano is building a hydrogen single decker alongside their electric version. Could this be a sign that hydrogen is overtaking electric in the eco-friendly bus market?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It seems that bus builders are taking an interest in building hydrogen buses. Wrightbus is preferring hydrogen over electric while successful electric bus builders, Optare and Alexander-Dennis, have thrown their hat into the hydrogen sector. While Caetano is building a hydrogen single decker alongside their electric version. Could this be a sign that hydrogen is overtaking electric in the eco-friendly bus market?
I do hope so - I don't believe batteries are the long term future, the supposed 'breakthrough' never comes and is always five to ten years away. In the meantime, used batteries are a huge pollution problem.

Kernow Dave

I do hope so - I don't believe batteries are the long term future, the supposed 'breakthrough' never comes and is always five to ten years away. In the meantime, used batteries are a huge pollution problem.
But isn't the commercial production of Hydrogen a very big user of electric power during the process?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
But isn't the commercial production of Hydrogen a very big user of electric power during the process?
Today it's mostly produced from methane, which doesn't use much electricity but does make it a contributor to climate change. Renewable energy is mostly unpredictable and could be used to generate hydrogen electrically at times when there is a surplus, instead of storing it in batteries or other means or just wasting it. But most countries are some way off having enough renewable to make that possible.

Kernow Dave

Today it's mostly produced from methane, which doesn't use much electricity but does make it a contributor to climate change. Renewable energy is mostly unpredictable and could be used to generate hydrogen electrically at times when there is a surplus, instead of storing it in batteries or other means or just wasting it. But most countries are some way off having enough renewable to make that possible.
Thank you for that explanation, it certainly was not what I had led to believe.

As it is I cannot see a long term future for batteries, because of the disposal issue and the resources required to manufacture.

freetoview33

Established Member
There have been two major developments this year with Hydrogen that if used will make them much more viable and greener.

The 25 times more efficient way to produce hydrogen using iron (rust) rather than titanium.

And

The hydrogen "sponge" allowing the storage of more hydrogen under a lower pressure.

But I agree it might be a while before this becomes the norm but yes Hydrogen over Electric all day long.

anthony263

Established Member
The june issue of buses magazine has said Wrightbus and Optare are putting more push into hydrogen technology

cnjb8

Established Member
Alexander-Dennis announced that they were launching a hydrogen E400MMC with an order from Liverpool a few years ago. They had gone quiet until now
Hydrogen buses will play a role for routes requiring additional range and they will be ready when a fuelling infrastructure and a sustainable supply of green hydrogen have been put in place.

Volvodart

Established Member
It was only a year ago. I do not thing the tender for the buses has gone out yet. Presumably Optare and Wrightbus will be bidding too.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Certainly in the case of Aberdeen (who are expecting 20 new Hydrogen buses imminently to join the existing 10) the Hydrogen is produced through electrolysis with the electricity coming from the wind farm in Aberdeen Bay. So theres no pollution and it's coming from renewable sources, however this can be expensive and Hydrogen is difficult to store.

While there are still some technological advances to be made in my own view Hydrogen will be the future for public transport. Battery Electric vehicles only solve one of the issues (pollution in cities), they dont solve or help solve the bigger of global pollution where as Hydrogen can.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Certainly in the case of Aberdeen (who are expecting 20 new Hydrogen buses imminently to join the existing 10) the Hydrogen is produced through electrolysis with the electricity coming from the wind farm in Aberdeen Bay. So theres no pollution and it's coming from renewable sources, however this can be expensive and Hydrogen is difficult to store.

While there are still some technological advances to be made in my own view Hydrogen will be the future for public transport. Battery Electric vehicles only solve one of the issues (pollution in cities), they dont solve or help solve the bigger of global pollution where as Hydrogen can.
Power for either electrolysis or batteries comes from the electricity supply network. If this is fully decarbonized then, by definition, neither option produces any CO2 while in operation. However if the grid isn't decarbonized then the hydrogen option will produce more CO2, because more of the energy is wasted by converting to hydrogen and back than by charging and discharging a battery. If the availability of electricity is limited then batteries are better because by the same argument they use less of it.

This preference for battery in service needs to be balanced against the environmental downsides of the battery itself and of the fuel cell and hydrogen storage, any of which may include materials that have environmental downsides in their extraction, are scarce, or are difficult to re-use or recycle. From what I gather these are worse for the battery.

All the above excludes consideration of the "embodied carbon" in constructing the equipment, and any incidental CO2 production during a nominally carbon-neutral process. Vehicle emissions are also "amplified" if the technology used makes it larger or heavier, so requiring more energy to move it, possibly less passenger space, and more road maintenance.

By those measures something like Nottingham's CNG buses, using biogas from sewage treatment, may be just as green as either battery or hydrogen.

freetoview33

Established Member
Power for either electrolysis or batteries comes from the electricity supply network. If this is fully decarbonized then, by definition, neither option produces any CO2 while in operation. However if the grid isn't decarbonized then the hydrogen option will produce more CO2, because more of the energy is wasted by converting to hydrogen and back than by charging and discharging a battery. If the availability of electricity is limited then batteries are better because by the same argument they use less of it.

This preference for battery in service needs to be balanced against the environmental downsides of the battery itself and of the fuel cell and hydrogen storage, any of which may include materials that have environmental downsides in their extraction, are scarce, or are difficult to re-use or recycle. From what I gather these are worse for the battery.

All the above excludes consideration of the "embodied carbon" in constructing the equipment, and any incidental CO2 production during a nominally carbon-neutral process. Vehicle emissions are also "amplified" if the technology used makes it larger or heavier, so requiring more energy to move it, possibly less passenger space, and more road maintenance.

By those measures something like Nottingham's CNG buses, using biogas from sewage treatment, may be just as green as either battery or hydrogen.
I always thought Bio Gas wasn't as green as made out, but when you think about it, it is quite green. 1st the gas from food/green waste/sewage will always be there. 2nd burning it is a more environmentally friendly option compared to simply releasing it into the atmosphere.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I always thought Bio Gas wasn't as green as made out, but when you think about it, it is quite green. 1st the gas from food/green waste/sewage will always be there. 2nd burning it is a more environmentally friendly option compared to simply releasing it into the atmosphere.
Absolutely. It strikes me as very green especially as the methane would otherwise go into the atmosphere were molecule for molecule it causes far more heating than CO2. This is unlike biodiesel which is often made from crops that would otherwise be available to eat*, and biomass which seems to have to be shipped from the States for use in the UK. Some sewage works now capture the methane and put it into a modified internal combustion engine to supply much of the power needs of the works itself.

*There are options to make it from waste materials, but they don't appear to be viable yet.

freetoview33

Established Member
Absolutely. It strikes me as very green especially as the methane would otherwise go into the atmosphere were molecule for molecule it causes far more heating than CO2. This is unlike biodiesel which is often made from crops that would otherwise be available to eat*, and biomass which seems to have to be shipped from the States for use in the UK. Some sewage works now capture the methane and put it into a modified internal combustion engine to supply much of the power needs of the works itself.

*There are options to make it from waste materials, but they don't appear to be viable yet.
Indeed the only question with it, is how much methane is produced and would it meet the demand?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Indeed the only question with it, is how much methane is produced and would it meet the demand?
Nottingham is running 120 gas buses and I believe they use the methane output of Nottingham's main sewage works (not directly - the methane is put into the general gas network and the same amount taken out elsewhere for fueling the buses). I'm not sure if they use all of it but if so it suggests that the population of a city wouldn't generate enough methane to power all of its bus fleet.
these super environmentally friendly bio-gas buses reduce CO2 emissions by up to 84%* compared to an equivalent brand new diesel double deck bus.
There currently isn't an electric double deck bus that can do the mileage we need on a single charge and the 'well to wheel' emissions from a Bio-Gas double deck are also lower.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Just for reference all the electricity used for Aberdeens Hydrogen vehicles comes from the wind turbines off the coast. I mentioned in my last post that with Hydrogen there are still some advancements to be made, specifically when i said that i had the inefficiencies around the process of converting Hydrogen and difficulties in the storage of Hydrogen in mind. However with development these are things that can be improved/solved. The issue with Battery electric vehicles is that the batteries themselves are difficult to dispose of and highly polluting in the way they are produced, hence why in my view Battery Electric vehicles just take one issue and move it elsewhere. It should also be noted that batteries are heavier than a fuel cell so it can be argued that a battery electric vehicle requires more power to move vs a Hydrogen, i do agree though that vehicles mass is still a big issue. Aberdeen's Vanhool A330s weigh over 15 tonne, part of this however is due to the fact they're over 13 metres long, tri-axle and a full size single decker rather than a light weight like the BYD/E200EV offering. Really the main issues with Hydrogen are costs, vehicles reliability and infrastructure however it is my belief that these are obstacles that can be overcome in the not to distant future and with more vehicles on the road it will only speed up technological advances.

Last edited:

Kernow Dave

Just for reference all the electricity used for Aberdeens Hydrogen vehicles comes from the wind turbines off the coast. I mentioned in my last post that with Hydrogen there are still some advancements to be made, specifically when i said that i had the inefficiencies around the process of converting Hydrogen and difficulties in the storage of Hydrogen in mind. However with development these are things that can be improved/solved. The issue with Battery electric vehicles is that batteries themselves which are difficult to dispose of and the highly polluting way they are produced, hence why in my view Battery Electric vehicles just take one issue and move it elsewhere. It should also be noted that batteries are heavier than a fuel cell so it can be argued that a battery electric vehicle requires more power to move vs a Hydrogen, i do agree though that vehicles mass is still a big issue. Aberdeen's Vanhool A330s weigh over 15 tonne, part of this however is due to the fact they're over 13 metres long, tri-axle and a full size single decker rather than a light weight like the BYD/E200EV offering. Really the main issues with Hydrogen are costs, vehicles reliability and infrastructure however it is my believe that these are obstacles that can be overcome in the not to distant future and with more vehicles on the road it will only speed up technological advances.
Thank you all for the input, I feel I have learnt a lot from the posts and not too much negativity for a change. Thanks.

Just for reference all the electricity used for Aberdeens Hydrogen vehicles comes from the wind turbines off the coast. I mentioned in my last post that with Hydrogen there are still some advancements to be made, specifically when i said that i had the inefficiencies around the process of converting Hydrogen and difficulties in the storage of Hydrogen in mind. However with development these are things that can be improved/solved. The issue with Battery electric vehicles is that batteries themselves which are difficult to dispose of and the highly polluting way they are produced, hence why in my view Battery Electric vehicles just take one issue and move it elsewhere. It should also be noted that batteries are heavier than a fuel cell so it can be argued that a battery electric vehicle requires more power to move vs a Hydrogen, i do agree though that vehicles mass is still a big issue. Aberdeen's Vanhool A330s weigh over 15 tonne, part of this however is due to the fact they're over 13 metres long, tri-axle and a full size single decker rather than a light weight like the BYD/E200EV offering. Really the main issues with Hydrogen are costs, vehicles reliability and infrastructure however it is my believe that these are obstacles that can be overcome in the not to distant future and with more vehicles on the road it will only speed up technological advances.

I agree with the other recent posters, it's a really informative thread.

Just wondering what makes the hydrogen difficult to store ? I have heard of a couple of incidents (in Norway and South Korea I think) but I would have thought (as a layman) that there is no more risk than petrol or diesel ? Presumably you would expect that whatever issues there are at the moment could be designed out in the future ?

Also what sort of issues make vehicle reliability more a problem with the hydrogen buses at the moment ?

Thanks

carlberry

Established Member
I agree with the other recent posters, it's a really informative thread.

Just wondering what makes the hydrogen difficult to store ? I have heard of a couple of incidents (in Norway and South Korea I think) but I would have thought (as a layman) that there is no more risk than petrol or diesel ? Presumably you would expect that whatever issues there are at the moment could be designed out in the future ?

Also what sort of issues make vehicle reliability more a problem with the hydrogen buses at the moment ?

Thanks
It's got very little energy in it for volume so has to be kept under a lot of pressure. That makes it more difficult to handle and move. Reliability is always going to be poor early on with any technology especially when there are low numbers involved. This is as much to do with the people using or maintaining the technology as it is about the technology itself, however once numbers go up the issues are usually resolved.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It should also be noted that batteries are heavier than a fuel cell so it can be argued that a battery electric vehicle requires more power to move vs a Hydrogen, i do agree though that vehicles mass is still a big issue.
However the hydrogen vehicle also requires a hydrogen tank, which being a pressure vessel is presumably quite heavy. Also fuel cells aren't good at rapid changes in output as are needed on a vehicle, so tend to be hybridised with a small battery. Do these mean that the equivalent hydrogen bus would end up being heavier?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
However the hydrogen vehicle also requires a hydrogen tank, which being a pressure vessel is presumably quite heavy. Also fuel cells aren't good at rapid changes in output as are needed on a vehicle, so tend to be hybridised with a small battery. Do these mean that the equivalent hydrogen bus would end up being heavier?

That is true however from my understanding the tanks and fuel cell combined still weigh less than the equivalent amount of batteries, the Vanhools do have a small battery primarily for auxiliaries however it is possible to have Hydrogen powered vehicles without a battery and i'd expect that will be something that's being looked in to for the next generation of buses. The argument there is that there's far less batteries so it's still much cleaner once you look at the bigger picture.

It's got very little energy in it for volume so has to be kept under a lot of pressure. That makes it more difficult to handle and move. Reliability is always going to be poor early on with any technology especially when there are low numbers involved. This is as much to do with the people using or maintaining the technology as it is about the technology itself, however once numbers go up the issues are usually resolved.

Agreed, although i very highly doubt any of us were alive at the time early combustion engines would've been far more inefficient and unreliable. It's good that Hydrogen is finally being rolled out as you say the more Hydrogen is used the better it will get with time.

cnjb8

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses!
Operators seem to prefer electric at the moment. Hopefully, we'll see more hydrogen buses on the road.

freetoview33

Established Member
Although there has been a development there and if employed it would solve three problems at once, higher storage, less room and lower pressure.

Another thing that springs to mind that I really don't know the answer to is this, what the most efficient is? A, Run buses directly from Bio Gas? B, Use the Bio Gas to produce Hydrogen to run the bus? But I guess this also depends on how the Hydrogen is produced, on site as per most of the current hydrogen stations in the UK or off site, then there are the options of piping it to where it is needed or a tanker.

It is amazing when you go into more depth how many questions actually come up.

freetoview33

Established Member
Operators seem to prefer electric at the moment. Hopefully, we'll see more hydrogen buses on the road.
I think this is due to it being easier and cheaper at the moment, although gas buses are becoming more popular because although the start up costs are high and bus costs are higher, the day to day costs are lower and it helps of emissions targets especially in cities. I just can never see electric being the long term ultimate solution, as you would need more buses to maintain a service.

carlberry

Established Member
I just can never see electric being the long term ultimate solution, as you would need more buses to maintain a service.
Why? The Capacity of recent electric buses are equal to other propulsion methods and the range is rapidly becoming similar, especially where opportunity charging is used.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

The prime reason is infrastructure, to build a Hydrogen refuelling depot capable of refuelling a large fleet of buses will set you back potentially tens of millions. This is why for Hydrogen to progress there needs to be local authority / gov financial support. Compared to battery electric where you can simply plug it in to the grid. Once infrastructure is more developed we should hopefully see more Hydrogens on the road. All going to plan 1/5th of the First Aberdeen bus fleet will be Hydrogen by Autumn this year.

I think this is due to it being easier and cheaper at the moment, although gas buses are becoming more popular because although the start up costs are high and bus costs are higher, the day to day costs are lower and it helps of emissions targets especially in cities. I just can never see electric being the long term ultimate solution, as you would need more buses to maintain a service.

I share the view that battery electric is a short term fix to a long term problem, unlike Hydrogen which i view as a proper long term solution. However in fairness Electric Buses now can match the reliability of a diesel bus, and although it depends on a number of different factors they can easily last a full day in service.

Although there has been a development there and if employed it would solve three problems at once, higher storage, less room and lower pressure.

Another thing that springs to mind that I really don't know the answer to is this, what the most efficient is? A, Run buses directly from Bio Gas? B, Use the Bio Gas to produce Hydrogen to run the bus? But I guess this also depends on how the Hydrogen is produced, on site as per most of the current hydrogen stations in the UK or off site, then there are the options of piping it to where it is needed or a tanker.

It is amazing when you go into more depth how many questions actually come up.

From my understanding creating Hydrogen through SMR (Steam Methane Reforming) is quite polluting and not very efficient. To me producing the Hydrogen through Electrolysis seems the better process given that it's clean. Producing Hydrogen on site is probably a better option for larger scale operations (such as bus operators) short term, but technology is advancing fast, so perhaps in the future producing it offsite and transporting it in via tanker would be the better option.

I agree, there's lots of animosity towards new forms of vehicle propulsion in the bus industry, so it's good to have a clean discussion (excuse the awful pun :p) without the climate change deniers and Leyland National Fan Club Enthusiasts Association Group :lol: coming out in full force against it without good reasons.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Seems to me if you have biogas you should make use of it directly, at least in the short term. Converting it into something else would reduce efficiency and biogas seems to be much closer to commercial viability than hydrogen (on the link I posted above it says the buses are cheaper to run than diesel, they just needed subsidy to buy them and probably to install the filling station). And bio-methane doesn't need to be transported, as it's just the same as normal methane so the provider pumps it into the nearest gas main and the user takes out the same amount from somewhere else on the gas supply network. Biogas can be used in a nearly normal internal combustion engine, but perhaps hydrogen in a fuel cell is more efficient? But I seem to remember there are also fuel cells that use methane.

Status
Not open for further replies.