• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Hypothetical) delay repay question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart

Yesterday I made a journey from Scotland to Kings Cross on a prebooked advance ticket with VTEC. As the arrival into Kings Cross was 2h45m late, I've submitted a delay repay claim.

I don't actually intend to do any more, on a value-versus-hassle basis, but my continuing journey involved a transfer by tube to Vauxhall and onward to Twickenham, for which my Oyster card correctly debited 6.10.

In theory, since this was part of a planned journey, would the onward leg from Kings Cross also be eligible for delay repay? If so, how would I have had to go about claiming, given that there were no prebooked tickets, and no record of the journey other than in my Oyster account.

As mentioned above, I thought, too much fuss, not worth it, but perhaps for a more expensive onward journey it might have been, so it would be interesting to know for another time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If you already had the second (or third, fourth etc.) ticket before starting your journey then you are entitled to compensation based on the combined value of all of the tickets. However, compensation on the Tube part of your journey would not be payable in your circumstance, because you had not already obtained your ticket before starting your journey.

Additionally, delay compensation would not be paid for parts of journeys which consisted entirely of non-National Rail legs. For example, if you had bought a Zones 1-6 Day Travelcard and combined this with your Advance to make an entirely Tube-based journey, this would not qualify for compensation on the Travelcard. If you used the Travelcard to travel partly on the Tube but also, say, on a South Western Railway service from Waterloo then you would be covered.

It's a confusing system for sure!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you had pre-purchased paper ticket(s) to Twickenham, you'd simply take a photograph of the ticket(s) used for the journey, state your journey was to Twickenham, using the online form, and I don't see how they could quibble. But, if they did quibble, I'd be happy to assist you in any dispute and put you in touch with someone at the company who agrees that the company should pay out for such a journey.

However as you used Oyster PAYG it's less clear-cut and I would be surprised if it was a hassle free claim. Nevertheless, you could submit a screenshot of your Oyster account showing details of the journey, along with your paper ticket(s). But good luck with that!

stuart

Thanks for the comments. As I said at the start, I'm really not fussed for the sake of £6. My next similar cross London journey has a much longer onward leg and I do have paper tickets already purchased, but let's hope lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.