• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hypothetical Lakes Line problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemmy99uk

Just to add to the other threads on the West Coast Railway service on the Windermere branch, I was wondering where responsibilities lie in the event of a delay.

If I had a cheap advance from Windermere to Manchester Airport and chose to take the replacement bus service, I assume I would be entitled to compensation from Northern if the bus was delayed and missed the connection at Oxenholme.

What would happen if I opted for the WCR rail service instead and that was delayed?

Do WCR have any obligation for delay repay? I would assume not. Worse still, could I be refused travel on the next service to Manchester on the basis that I failed to get myself to Oxenholme on time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mallard

Established Member
I would guess that it would depend on the details. If you held an "AP Northern Only" Advance, it would only be valid on the bus (officially a Northern service) and by using the WCRC service, you'd be attempting to start short, which isn't permitted on an Advance.

If you held a "VTWC & Connections" or "AP TPE & Connections" Advance, since the WCRC services are listed as public trains in the "timetable" (NRE) it should be valid on the next train if delayed, but as you note, WCRC has no Delay Repay provision. The more limited delay compensation listed in the NRCoT may apply however.

Alternatively, since WCRC aren't charging a fare (currently) they could potentially claim that they're actually operating a private charter train that just happens to have a zero fare and thus don't accept any National Rail tickets, so holders of Advance fares to/from stations beyond Oxenholme are always breaking the T&Cs of their tickets by "breaking" their journey to use a non-NR service.

Clear as mud, I'd say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.