• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hypothetical Sandwell -> Euston reroute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumperkin

Hi,

I have booked a return (2 singles) from Sandwell & Dudley (SAD) to Euston (EUS) on 11th May. I leave SAD at 07:15 arrive at 08:53, and leave EUS at 21:43 arrive at 23:36.

I live in Kidderminster and will be driving to SAD in the morning to catch the direct train. There are services from Kidderminster / Stourbridge (SBJ) changing at Birmingham which would result in a similar journey time.

If my train from SAD is cancelled/delayed would I likely be able to hop on at SBJ to then catch a connecting WMR/Virgin train from BHM? Who would I be best to approach in the early hours of a Saturday morning for permission?

Similarly, if my train back is cancelled, could I request that instead of returning me to SAD they got me to KID/SBJ (a similar distance)? Not sure how it works...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi,

I have booked a return (2 singles) from Sandwell & Dudley (SAD) to Euston (EUS) on 11th May. I leave SAD at 07:15 arrive at 08:53, and leave EUS at 21:43 arrive at 23:36.

I live in Kidderminster and will be driving to SAD in the morning to catch the direct train. There are services from Kidderminster / Stourbridge (SBJ) changing at Birmingham which would result in a similar journey time.

If my train from SAD is cancelled/delayed would I likely be able to hop on at SBJ to then catch a connecting WMR/Virgin train from BHM? Who would I be best to approach in the early hours of a Saturday morning for permission?

Similarly, if my train back is cancelled, could I request that instead of returning me to SAD they got me to KID/SBJ (a similar distance)? Not sure how it works...
No, the routes you suggest aren't permissible unfortunately. The proximity of one station to another, when the two are on different lines, doesn't have a bearing on the validity of tickets.

Each ticket is valid on a certain set of "permitted routes". These will depend greatly on the specific details of the ticket - but for instance, an Advance ticket is only valid on the reserved service(s), and any appropriate connecting services, whilst a flexible Off-Peak or Anytime ticket is valid (subject to any time/route restrictions printed on the ticket) on a number of different routes. These include:
  • The route taken by a direct train from the printed origin to the printed destination.
  • The shortest route, or a route no more than 3 miles longer than this.
  • "Mapped routes", which generally speaking define routes that are reasonable but don't come into the above two categories.
But in no case can I see a ticket with an origin/destination of Sandwell & Dudley (and an origin/destination towards London) also being valid past Smethwick Galton Bridge to Stourbridge or Kidderminster - it doesn't come into any of the three above categories of validity.

In the case of severe disruption to train services, ticket acceptance for long-distance services is often arranged (e.g. if the main West Coast Main Line route into Euston is blocked, tickets might be accepted on the Chiltern Main Line). But for local services, rail replacement coaches are often put on, or acceptance is arranged on local buses.

Veteran Member
If your outward ticket is an Advance (which I assume), then in the event of a problem, Virgin are obliged to get you to London from SAD.

I am not sure what is to be gained by starting at SBJ instead, but if you wanted/needed to do so, an Off-Peak return to New Street would cover you. Technically, you are not supposed to "start short" on an Advance, but as the fares are identical VT staff would exercise discretion - and in practice they wouldn't even know.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
If your outward ticket is an Advance (which I assume), then in the event of a problem, Virgin are obliged to get you to London from SAD.

I am not sure what is to be gained by starting at SBJ instead, but if you wanted/needed to do so, an Off-Peak return to New Street would cover you. Technically, you are not supposed to "start short" on an Advance, but as the fares are identical VT staff would exercise discretion - and in practice they wouldn't even know.

Plus there is also the Smethwick connection possible which allows avoiding the New Street barriers

Pumperkin

Plus there is also the Smethwick connection possible which allows avoiding the New Street barriers

Hmm so if I went SBJ -> Smethwick -> BHM and jumped on the train from Sandwell, is there any chance the guard might query why I had not joined at Sandwell? Or are they unlikely to notice/care?

Also, is it known whether Pendolino or Voyager? Just trying to work out where my seats are :)

VT 390

Established Member
Hmm so if I went SBJ -> Smethwick -> BHM and jumped on the train from Sandwell, is there any chance the guard might query why I had not joined at Sandwell? Or are they unlikely to notice/care?

Also, is it known whether Pendolino or Voyager? Just trying to work out where my seats are :)

Both the 07:15 from to Euston and the 21:43 from Euston are booked to be operated by Pendolino's.

paddington

Hmm so if I went SBJ -> Smethwick -> BHM and jumped on the train from Sandwell, is there any chance the guard might query why I had not joined at Sandwell? Or are they unlikely to notice/care

Only if you boarded at the door where they were standing and they started checking tickets immediately afterwards and they remember your face. On your intended service I highly doubt tickets would be checked until after Coventry

Andybravo

I've boarded hundreds of Virgin trains from New Street to Euston and have never even seen a guard until well after Coventry, never mind having my tickets checked. You should be fine.

However, you may want to double check your timings/connections. The date and time you specified in the first post suggests it is not possible to get to New Street in time, for the train you have booked. (07:15 from Sandwell & Dudley will leave New Street at 07:30)

Because your day of travel is a Saturday, the first train from SBJ doesn't arrive at Smethwick until 7:17

Pumperkin

I've boarded hundreds of Virgin trains from New Street to Euston and have never even seen a guard until well after Coventry, never mind having my tickets checked. You should be fine.

However, you may want to double check your timings/connections. The date and time you specified in the first post suggests it is not possible to get to New Street in time, for the train you have booked. (07:15 from Sandwell & Dudley will leave New Street at 07:30)

Because your day of travel is a Saturday, the first train from SBJ doesn't arrive at Smethwick until 7:17

Erm first arrives at Smethwick earlier than that I think. I would just stay on until BMO and walk anyway.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190420-100443.png
    Screenshot_20190420-100443.png
    459.3 KB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.