• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hythe Ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welly

Pity that the Hythe ferry is closing - it was very handy for photographing ships in the docks, my mate and I photographed the QE2 and the QM2 on successive days several years ago.

stuu

Established Member
That's sad news, especially if the railway goes as well. I went on it about 25 years ago and again just before covid, it was a much smaller boat than it had been, so it must have been in decline for a while

lachlan

Interesting, as one argument against the Hythe branch line reopening to passengers was concerning the detrimental effect it could have on the ferry.

Perhaps the railway line along the pier could reopen as a tourist attraction, like the one at Southend?

Dougal2345

Does the pier itself have any purpose besides the ferry, or will it likely be demolished in the longer term?

Spamcan81

Well, this is a bombshell.
There are hopes of it being taken over by another operator
Work will continue on the restoration of the pier railway.
Is the loco on loan from Amberly still at Hythe?
You say that work will continue on restoration of the railway. Is it not running at the moment?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting, as one argument against the Hythe branch line reopening to passengers was concerning the detrimental effect it could have on the ferry.

Perhaps the railway line along the pier could reopen as a tourist attraction, like the one at Southend?
But is Southend Pier the real tourist attraction, or the railway, would people use the pier anyway without the railway?

So would Hythe Pier be any sort of attraction without its railway?

lachlan

But is Southend Pier the real tourist attraction, or the railway, would people use the pier anyway without the railway?

So would Hythe Pier be any sort of attraction without its railway?
I'm not sure to be honest. I was in the area for Adventure Island and took a break to ride the train along the pier and walk back. But it is over three times longer than Hythe pier so the railway doesn't feel as necessary as it does for Southend.

David Burrows

Southend pier is very handy when PS Waverley calls! The pier is very long and without the railway it would put many people just going for a walk down and back.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
My own suspicion is that it will close; the vast majority of people on the pier are, I think, ferry passengers.

It's a pity - it's the best vantage point for watching and photographing the shipping going in and out of Southampton. It could probably be marketed as such, but outside the summer season it's likely it would only see demand on occasions like maiden voyages. On such occasions, it gets really packed out.

RichJF

That's a shame. My late grandparents lived in Hythe Marina & I have MANY memories of using the ferry & the train on the pier with family.

341o2

Established Member
You say that work will continue on restoration of the railway. Is it not running at the moment?
I am quoting a Facebook page Friends of Hythe Pier and Raliway
the railway will operate, like the ferry until the close of business on 31/12/2022 under the current administration.
Those working on the restoration of the railway, its locomotives, carriages, and track, will continue after this date
Best Christmas wishes

James H

The ferry will continue to operate after 31 December whilst discussions with potential new operators take place:
https://www.facebook.com/bluefunnel...1iDGGCS1coeq5xXC2GgQmTu5p2coNyvspGUi3tSKipR3l

At this moment in time, the ferry will continue to operate under Blue Funnel while discussions continue with a potential new owner/operator.
We strongly urge you to support the ferry during this period, and show your love of the vital link, while we hopefully complete the transition to a new operator. Confidential discussions mean no names will be released at this period in time.

Roger French was there today, so expect a blog from him soon.

themeone

There are quite a few similar ferry services along the Hampshire coast - the Hayling ferry, Gosport ferry, Warsash - Hamble, and Southampton - Hythe. With the exception of the Gosport ferry, there have been reports of uncertain futures, and lack of profitability for all of them ever since I can remember.

Snow1964

Established Member
There are quite a few similar ferry services along the Hampshire coast - the Hayling ferry, Gosport ferry, Warsash - Hamble, and Southampton - Hythe. With the exception of the Gosport ferry, there have been reports of uncertain futures, and lack of profitability for all of them ever since I can remember.

There used to be one Keyhaven - Hurst Castle (don’t know if is still operating), and the old Itchen floating bridge (replaced by current bridge).

Before the boundary changes in 1974, Wick ferry (Christchurch) and Mudeford ferry were also in Hampshire

DelW

Established Member
Similar in nature and geography, though not in Hampshire, are the Sandbanks and Cowes ferries. The latter has had its own problems in recent years.

david1212

Established Member
Similar in nature and geography, though not in Hampshire, are the Sandbanks and Cowes ferries. The latter has had its own problems in recent years.

IMO neither comparable to Hythe first as both are vehicle ferries and the alternative route is a long way round both time and distance. Further for Cowes the ongoing issue is the current ferry / floating bridge being so unreliable.

For Gosport mentioned again even driving when roads are quiet how long does it take Gosport <> Portsmouth compared to the ferry ?

For Hythe given
The Bluestar 8 takes 57 minutes from Westquay to Hythe and the no.9 takes 40 minutes.
to the centre( ish ) of Southampton rather than the Town Quay ferry terminal overall is using the ferry + Hythe pier train significantly quicker?

themeone

I think the key is whether these ferries (a) serve two places lots of people want to travel between, and (b) offer a significant time saving.

Gosport ferry wins hands down on both. Hayling might seem useful but in fact the landing points for both Portsmouth and Hayling are quite remote. Hythe I can see could be quite borderline - it doesn't usually take that long by road, and and pier in Southampton isn't that handy for the city centre. I'd imagine it's also mostly one-way traffic i.e. Hythe residents going to Southampton, not so much the other way round.

Zamracene749

Such a shame. Town Quay isn't really that far from the centre and the ferry offered a considerable advantage to Southampton commuters, Solent Uni students and shoppers over the bus or even car at peak times- good luck getting to or from Hythe in 40 mins during the rush hour! Factor in parking costs/looking for spaces for your car too and it made sense. Yes, it is/was primarily used by people from Hythe, Dibden, Netley View. It used to connect nicely with a local minibus around the Hythe housing areas but I think that is long gone. When I used to use it the little train was usually full for each sailing!

eoff

I went on this many times when I was a child. In 2012 I went back during a weekend trip to Southampton to visit the places I remembered. Sadly the Woolston chain ferry was long gone.

Dougal2345

Hythe Ferry: Threatened service bought by Red Funnel

Isle of Wight ferry operator Red Funnel has taken over a passenger link across Southampton Water.

The operator of the Hythe Ferry, Blue Funnel, had suffered from rising costs and low passenger numbers since the Covid pandemic.

Red Funnel said it had bought the ferry to maintain the service of "historical significance".

Blue Funnel's Lee Rayment said it meant the ferry would "continue to serve Hythe and the Solent community".

The Hythe Ferry takes foot passengers from the Waterside straight into the city.

However:

Note the sale does not include the 640m-long Grade 2-listed Hythe Pier with its characterful electric narrow-gauge railway.

What happens to that in future is not clear.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks for the update. Where would the ferry stop if not on the pier?
That's a good point; the pier is an integral part of the ferry operation - it's a symbiotic relationship. There isn't really anywhere else where they could run the ferry to at Hythe either.

I wonder if it's a case they've taken on the ferry service and will simply pay a landing fee to the pier owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.