• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ian Brady has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

cf111

Established Member
Imagine trying that one today though. He's take legal action and he'd win, such is the way our system works.

Very true, he'd probably have insisted on a "comfort letter" a la those provided by Blair to some IRA terrorists under the Good Friday Agreement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
I agree, on the proviso that when the body was found the "deal" was immediately cancelled, Brady arrested, tried and convicted of Keith Bennett's murder (he was only ever convicted of murdering Edward Evans, Lesley Ann Downey and John Kilbride) before being carted back to Ashworth again.

You would never get away with cancelling it if it were a legally binding deal and Brady wouldn't be charged as he is mentally ill.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've mentioned on this forum before that I once worked for Kent Probation and Aftercare Service at a time when Myra Hindley was incarcerated in a women's prison in our area and, what's more, was allocated a Probation Officer on the basis that she was then, like ALL life prisoners, theoretically able to apply for parole as the whole life tariff was then non-existent. I've no knowledge of the dealings between the P.O. and Hindley, and wouldn't disclose them if I did, but suffice to say that I never heard any member of staff arguing privately or publically that she should be granted parole. When a former editor of the Observer was profiled in that newspaper about a year ago and his pride in being involved in the futile Longford campaign to release Hindley was mentioned I wrote a letter to the paper, which was published in full, expressing my view that they had been deluded and fundamentally wrong-headed.

It was perhaps interesting that it has been often reported that the only time Brady ever became animated/agitated over decades was when Hindley or her supporters were trying to pin the entire blame onto him. He may have been 'cleverer' than her, but she was certainly a lot more manipulative than him. The world is a marginally better place for the passing of both of them imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.