• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ian Walmsley and Modern Railways magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not sure if this is the right thread, so mods. please feel free to move.

From a reading of the July issue of Modern Railways, it appears that Ian Walmsley will be given a regular monthly input into the magazine. Have any other forum members read his articles in this month's magazine ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buttsy

Established Member
Not sure if this is the right thread, so mods. please feel free to move.

From a reading of the July issue of Modern Railways, it appears that Ian Walmsley will be given a regular monthly input into the magazine. Have any other forum members read his articles in this month's magazine ?

Yes I have, and his previous articles when he was working for Porterbrook. Looks like he could be a new Alan Williams without the indignation.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think he has his fair share of indignation, just about different things than Alan Williams.

davetheguard

Established Member
Yes I have, and his previous articles when he was working for Porterbrook. Looks like he could be a new Alan Williams without the indignation.

He's a welcome addition to the MR team; I hope he's not going to be replacing Alan Williams though.......

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
How long can Roger Ford keep going though?
I think Ian Walmsley is the only one to come close to Roger's analytical skills, with a humorous touch.
He also has a lot of inside industry knowledge.

Polarbear

Established Member
How long can Roger Ford keep going though?
I think Ian Walmsley is the only one to come close to Roger's analytical skills, with a humorous touch.
He also has a lot of inside industry knowledge.

I agree that Ian Walmsley seems to be the "heir apparent" to Roger Ford. I don't know how old Mr Ford is, but given that he was working in the rail industry through English Electric in the early 1960's & was first asked to write for MR as early as 1966, I would say he's at least 70?

Hopefully, Roger Ford will be around for a good many years yet, though I suspect he may ease off gently as time goes on.

Polarbear

Established Member
Alan Williams has been writing his column for MR since 1975 so has been with the magazine for a good few years too.

Historically, contributors to MR have often stayed with the magazine for many years & have either wound down the number of articles they write or been given projects that don't involve thrashing up & down the country about between media events in later years.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Ian Walmsley feels like a good addition to the MR team - he seems to be a good, common-sense engineer, who is not afraid to call a spade a spade and can write well, so more power to his elbow ;)

After 40 years of reading MR every month, I think it needs a bit more editorial counterpoint to the 'advertorial' that appears regularly these days - Ian looks a good candidate to provide that.

sarahj

Established Member
I hope Alan Williams keeps going. I will miss him when he goes. Still remember selling my first ticket to Effingham junction and thinking, ooohhhhh. Of course now he has moved the rants are about northern thesedays.

Status
Not open for further replies.