• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iarnród Éireann web fares - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Morning... I'm looking to travel from Dublin to Carrick-on-Shannon (on the Sligo line) on Sunday 31 July.

I know that IÉ fares are only available online from 28 days ahead, but does this also apply to cheaper web fares? I can now see trains available and bookable for my date, but only for the regular fare of €23. My question is are web fares normally available on this route or even on Sundays?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Have you seen if there are web fares for Dublin to Sligo? This might be cheaper.

The question is, is cutting your journey short allowed on Irish Rail web fares? In Britain, the equivalent practice of ending an Advance journey short isn't allowed.

However, I have just checked Sligo as well and it is also €23. Looks like that is just an expensive day. There are €10 tickets on other days.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Indeed, €23 is the cheapest available to both Carrick on Shannon and Sligo. I considered arriving Dublin the day before to nab a cheaper rail fare, but then the flight is twice the price :)

radamfi

Established Member
There is also a transaction fee and a fee for not paying by Laser card. I buy quite a few of these tickets and have accumulated quite a lot in credit card fees and was wondering whether it is possible to get an Irish bank account even though I live in the UK so I could get a Laser card.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Just used Skype to give IÉ a call (+353.1.836.6222 ... with the Beuna Vista Social Club as the hold music too.... :lol:) and apparently €23 is the cheapest available web fare for that day. A walk-up ticket would be €27.50.

Perhaps there are engineering works going on, because compared to the previous Sunday (when I can see at least one €10 fare) there are fewer trains on 31 July, so perhaps no cheapy cheap tickets.

GM078

IÉ have a new system in whereby tickets prices are cheaper the further you book in advance, so it's quite possible that web fare will have risen towards the booking office rate the nearer you order to the date of travel. It's cheaper than the booking office fare so I'd go for it.

I don't know if there are any engineering works planned for that weekend but in Ireland it is a Bank Holiday weekend (1st Monday in August).

radamfi

Established Member
What are the regulations about changing a web ticket? The website is a bit vague about that.

island

Veteran Member
What are the regulations about changing a web ticket? The website is a bit vague about that.

So are the ticket clerks. Officially the rule is you will be excessed up to half the anytime return fare for the journey (with a zero excess if you've already paid more). In practice, at main stations (Dublin/Cork) you will be charged something (if you're unlucky you may get charged up to the anytime single); at other stations you will just be told to board anyway. (In this case get the clerk to endorse your ticket with the station stamp so that you don't get awkward questions from the gripper.)

All this applies before boarding. Trying to excess on board is not recommended and is likely to get you a €100 penalty fare.

Strictly speaking there is a prohibition on stopping short if the fare for the shorter journey is greater than the fare you paid. Strictly speaking there is also no break of journey on IÉ web fares. You would need to be incredibly unlucky to find a staff member that would enforce the stopping short restriction.

They claim that there is at least one seat at the cheapest quota on every train; I can't say how correct that is but they do sell web fares up until 90 minutes before each train leaves its first departure point.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is also a transaction fee and a fee for not paying by Laser card. I buy quite a few of these tickets and have accumulated quite a lot in credit card fees and was wondering whether it is possible to get an Irish bank account even though I live in the UK so I could get a Laser card.

Visa debit cards also avoid the extra €1 fee.

This transaction fee means you should not buy open tickets online because you can pay for them at a station by card with no surcharge.

Note that Irish Rail does not accept Amex.

radamfi

Established Member
So are the ticket clerks. Officially the rule is you will be excessed up to half the anytime return fare for the journey (with a zero excess if you've already paid more).

That's not bad. No administration fee?

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Aargh. All this useful info, and now the trip's postponed. :(

Never mind, there will be other opportunities. The acceptance of Visa Debit seems to tie in with the slow painful death of Laser in the Republic. I know that Laser is now basically compatible with Maestro, but it always was a bit of an odd-ball payment system.

island

Veteran Member
That's not bad. No administration fee?

No, but if you get a disagreeable ticket clerk the excess to an anytime single can be up to €58.50 depending on route.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The acceptance of Visa Debit seems to tie in with the slow painful death of Laser in the Republic. I know that Laser is now basically compatible with Maestro, but it always was a bit of an odd-ball payment system.

Acceptance of Irish-issued Laser/Maestro cards abroad is an absolute crapshoot actually. So much so that the booking office at GTW displays Laser, "Foreign Maestro", and Solo as the cards it doesn't accept.

radamfi

Established Member
No, but if you get a disagreeable ticket clerk the excess to an anytime single can be up to €58.50 depending on route.

If that happens, can you complain to customer services and get a refund of half the full single fare?

GM078

Acceptance of Irish-issued Laser/Maestro cards abroad is an absolute crapshoot actually. So much so that the booking office at GTW displays Laser, "Foreign Maestro", and Solo as the cards it doesn't accept.

I believe AIB intend to gradually replace its Laser/Maestro cards with Visa ones, which will likely be accepted abroad. It is indeed frustrating that the Laser ones aren't of any use outside of Ireland itself.

Going back to ticketing, there's some information on this site:

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/ticketing.php

BTW, there's a special offer on at the moment on Summer Saturdays only:

http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=1139

island

Veteran Member
If that happens, can you complain to customer services and get a refund of half the full single fare?
Another crapshoot. You might get thrown a €10 rail travel voucher, or nothing, or a refund. The official rule isn't published; all they say is "an excess of up to €40 may be charged", so you can't effectively complain.

I believe AIB intend to gradually replace its Laser/Maestro cards with Visa ones, which will likely be accepted abroad. It is indeed frustrating that the Laser ones aren't of any use outside of Ireland itself.

It's Bank of Ireland actually that's replacing them; AIB has no plans to that I am aware of. Irish Laser/Maestro cards will work in most ATMs abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.