• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IBM, Redcar British Steel, Stanlow & Thornton and Teeside Airport... which station will be next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TransportHub

over the last few years a few stations have had their service 'temporarily' removed, seemingly all because of low passenger numbers. I am trying to tick off as many stations as I can, but these 'closures' have prevented me from ticking these ones off. The closures have (at lease to my knowledge) been kept quiet until after the last train has called there.

So at the risk of starting speculation, does anyone know of any other stations closures that are (or may) be coming soon?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Think you'll be struggling to visit the station at Manchester United Football Ground by train anytime soon. Not be surprised if that one is permanently closed in due course.

TransportHub

richard1976

What about Wedgwood and Barlaston stations, Neither of which have seen a train for over 18 years and are still temporarily closed

W-on-Sea

Established Member
What about Wedgwood and Barlaston stations, Neither of which have seen a train for over 18 years and are still temporarily closed

I believe the intention is (was) for one of these to be fully reopened (as Stone was), the other to be finally and officially closed. Barlaston was the one singled out for reopening, but it seems to have been, at least, delayed.

BrianW

Established Member
Think you'll be struggling to visit the station at Manchester United Football Ground by train anytime soon. Not be surprised if that one is permanently closed in due course.
Are there any other Championship clubs with their own station?
and in passing, maybe time for renaming of Brentford and Kew Bridge stations?

SeanG

Are there any other Championship clubs with their own station?
and in passing, maybe time for renaming of Brentford and Kew Bridge stations?
I know they are amusingly bottom of the league but they aren't quite championship yet

At a risk of going off thread, Stadium of Light is adjacent to Sunderland's ground albeit a Metro service which has received heavy rail services at times.

In an answer to the original question, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Northumberland ECML stations served by the Chathill services mothballed in the near future

Southern Dvr

Pilning is a strategic station in case of an emergency in the Severn Tunnel. I doubt it would be closed but just exist on its Saturday service for ever more.

When was Pilning last used in a Severn Tunnel emergency? The likelihood is that it will be closed as a station and if there’s a problem at the tunnel trains will be returned to Patchway.

I believe the intention is (was) for one of these to be fully reopened (as Stone was), the other to be finally and officially closed. Barlaston was the one singled out for reopening, but it seems to have been, at least, delayed.

The problem with these stations is the level crossings adjacent which already when barriers were down for the current workings cause long traffic delays, add stopping trains in and it would only make it worse.

Probably the best solution would be to close both and create one new station somewhere between the two.

gmaguire

I knew IBM used to have a manufacturing plant in Scotland, but I didn’t know it had a dedicated railway station.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Pilning is relatively safe I would say. If Bordesley Chords go ahead then the station is a dodo. Polesworth won't close either. Ardwick footbridge is going to be renewed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Pilning is relatively safe I would say. If Bordesley Chords go ahead then the station is a dodo. Polesworth won't close either. Ardwick footbridge is going to be renewed.

Thanks.

Re Ardwick I guess the way Manchester is expanding it'll be a peripheral city centre station soon enough and may justify a fuller service.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I think Longcross ought to go. Besides Wentworth club golfers that can exit there (and I have seen them board there before) and very few film studio crew, nobody else uses the station and even an upgrade from a parlimentary service to hourly has barely increased ridership. It should close.

pdeaves

Established Member
I think Longcross ought to go. Besides Wentworth club golfers that can exit there (and I have seen them board there before) and very few film studio crew, nobody else uses the station and even an upgrade from a parlimentary service to hourly has barely increased ridership. It should close.
I think the service is being developed ready for major housing development (or have I mistaken it for somewhere else?).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I know they are amusingly bottom of the league but they aren't quite championship yet

At a risk of going off thread, Stadium of Light is adjacent to Sunderland's ground albeit a Metro service which has received heavy rail services at times.

In an answer to the original question, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Northumberland ECML stations served by the Chathill services mothballed in the near future
There's The Hawthorns (West Bromwich Albion) served by the Snow Hill line of WMR or whatever they're called, and the Midland Metro. However it isn't in danger of closing unless the trams break again, so is somewhat off-topic.

One contender for having most of its services withdrawn is Cottingley, which will be superceded by the new White Elephant Centre station.

Mikey C

Established Member
A few more years of the Glazers mismanagement, and spectator numbers will fall, so that the station can safely reopen again :E

Kite159

Veteran Member
There's The Hawthorns (West Bromwich Albion) served by the Snow Hill line of WMR or whatever they're called, and the Midland Metro. However it isn't in danger of closing unless the trams break again, so is somewhat off-topic.

One contender for having most of its services withdrawn is Cottingley, which will be superceded by the new White Elephant Centre station.
Isn't Cottingley going to be closed outright rather than being reduced to a Lelant Saltings/Sankey style token daily service?

To be replaced by the White Elephant Business Park

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Isn't Cottingley going to be closed outright rather than being reduced to a Lelant Saltings/Sankey style token daily service?

To be replaced by the White Elephant Business Park
I've not been keeping track of the process, other than looking at how the preparation work is going as I pass heading to Leeds.

I've made my thoughts on the project known on here before, so I'll keep that to cynical nicknames!
Now that it's definitely going ahead, hopefully it will be treated as a re-siting and re-naming (rather than a closure) insofar as the legal and regulatory processes are concerned.

skyhigh

Established Member
Now that it's definitely going ahead, hopefully it will be treated as a re-siting and re-naming (rather than a closure) insofar as the legal and regulatory processes are concerned.
From what I've heard that unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case.

bluenoxid

Established Member
If it does come back, get Corfe Castle done.

Get Cottingley done if you’re in the area

I don’t think it is at that much risk but Sankey for Penketh saw major service cuts when Warrington West opened

Status
Not open for further replies.