• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Idea for Airedale service recast

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
So with the news that we might not be getting 6-car services from Leeds to Skipton, what else could be done to increase capacity?

In my view, Shipley to Bradford is over-served. Therefore I would get rid of the Skipton - Bradford and Leeds - Bradford services and replace them with additional Leeds - Skipton turns (making 4 per hour) and a half hourly Shipley - Bradford shuttle.

Passengers between Leeds and Bradford can travel direct on Calder Valley services and the soon to be introduced LNER through services to Bradford.

Perhaps a couple of peak hours crowd busters could be run from Bradford F'S in the morning and back in the evening - Class 90s on Mark 4s would fit the bill.

Also a couple of direct Bradford - Skipton services in the peaks if there are enough units.

Thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
What of operating half-hourly Ilkley - Bradford and Leeds - Bradford (stopping); then not operating the Skipton - Bradford enabling 4tph from Skipton to Leeds?

You could then have the ‘extra path’ for the semi-fast (Carlisle / Lancaster) and some freight space too?

Veteran Member
The present high peak service from Skipton is 4TPH anyway, while the Leeds-Bradfords do a fair trade from all the intermediate stations, though I agree they are not wedged arriving/departing Leeds. You certainly couldn't do without them (I declare an interest, as family members make a point of using them from Shipley), and that was the case even before the new stations.
I suppose you could operate 6TPH Skipton-Leeds plus shuttles Shipley-Bradford, but the congestion on P1 at Shipley would be horrendous in the morning.
Off-peak the capacity is adequate most of the day, though I could see a case for filling in the gaps in the semi-fast service if there were units spare.

The most useful change would be to run the 055x Carlisle and the 1725 Leeds as EMU between Skipton and Leeds.

BTW having read the 331 thread, I can't find hard information that the plan to run 6-car trains has been abandoned permanently, only speculation. Have I missed something.

xotGD

Established Member
What of operating half-hourly Ilkley - Bradford and Leeds - Bradford (stopping); then not operating the Skipton - Bradford enabling 4tph from Skipton to Leeds?

You could then have the ‘extra path’ for the semi-fast (Carlisle / Lancaster) and some freight space too?
You'd need 2 extra paths between Shipley and Leeds that way. Hence dumping the Bradford - Leeds.

I would leave Wharfedale services as is.

xotGD

Established Member
The present high peak service from Skipton is 4TPH anyway, while the Leeds-Bradfords do a fair trade from all the intermediate stations, though I agree they are not wedged arriving/departing Leeds. You certainly couldn't do without them (I declare an interest, as family members make a point of using them from Shipley), and that was the case even before the new stations.
I suppose you could operate 6TPH Skipton-Leeds plus shuttles Shipley-Bradford, but the congestion on P1 at Shipley would be horrendous in the morning.
Off-peak the capacity is adequate most of the day, though I could see a case for filling in the gaps in the semi-fast service if there were units spare.

The most useful change would be to run the 055x Carlisle and the 1725 Leeds as EMU between Skipton and Leeds.

BTW having read the 331 thread, I can't find hard information that the plan to run 6-car trains has been abandoned permanently, only speculation. Have I missed something.
You could strength the DMU services during the peaks south of Skipton that is for sure. I squeezed on to a 2-car 150 the other day on a turn due into Leeds at around 8.45 - woefully inadequate.

The 6-car plans appear to be delayed rather than cancelled. However, once the north west get hold of them will there really be any prospect of them heading over the Pennines?

Veteran Member
You could strength the DMU services during the peaks south of Skipton that is for sure. I squeezed on to a 2-car 150 the other day on a turn due into Leeds at around 8.45 - woefully inadequate.
Yes - if DMUs were going spare.
I should have mentioned the Up Lancaster - though ironically the stopper that follows it from Skipton isnt anywhere near full into Leeds.

Ianigsy

If Shipley-Bradford FS is over-served then so is Keighley-Skipton, which currently sees at least 18 carriages per hour most of the time on weekdays. Keighley to Bradford does seem to be a steady market, though, and justifies a 10-minute frequency on Transdev's 662.

Part of the reason why the Kirkstall Forge and Apperley Bridge stops were moved to the Leeds-Bradford service was so that people using the new park and ride stations didn't have to fight their way on to trains which were already crowded or adding to the overcrowding on peak Skipton and Ilkley services out of Leeds in the evening peak. Adding those stops into the Skipton service would also add to the travelling time for people from further up the line.

BantamMenace

However, once the north west get hold of them will there really be any prospect of them heading over the Pennines?
If they went under their own power what would be the quickest way out of interest? Via London or via Edinburgh are the only electrified routes I can think of.
The shortest none electrified gap would be Carnforth the Skipton I think.
The most likely transfer is dragged via Standedge though I think.

leo knight

I were hoping vtec now lner were going to extend to Skipton from KX which would help matters with a service every hour or too.

Andrew Nelson

The two newly opened stations on that line would be rather embarrassingly have to have their platforms lengthened I believe.
One of which is almost impossible due to a river at the northern end, and a bridge abutment at the southern.

Status
Not open for further replies.