Idea for an ocean of a steam gala...

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Callum, 23 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callum

Callum Member

Been thinking about this for a while. How about a heritage railway hosting a gala where all engines present were Pacifics...

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. bocaj

bocaj Member

I think it is quite a good idea, but would presserved Railways be able to afford it? :?
    I suppose it would be okay if their was just four of them running. Also, maybe if a line with a Pacific based their, it could be cheaper.

Jacob :)
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I've just remembered something from what I read a while ago. There is going to be a A1, A2, A3, A4 Event for Barrow Hill Roundhouse. They are all Pacifcs aren't they? There is a bit of dowbt about the A3 though, it's supposed to be Flying Scotsman. And the Gala is in April, FS is not supposed to be ready in Late Spring. I think they were thinking about moving it back so it could attend.

4. E&W Lucas

E&W Lucas Established Member

Think in terms of £10k movement and hire costs per loco, with a diminishing return on each subsequent loco.

The Moors had the 3 serviceable A4s a couple of years back. The smaller event tbe following year actually generated as much profit.

5. Callum

Callum Member

I know it would be difficult to organise and fund. I was just thinking how impressive it would be to have one example of each existing design of Pacific. Also including Hengist when it's finished.

However the GWR wouldn't be represented (unless the Great Bear was recreated) so we'd let them be represented by a King or Castle.

6. Bittern

Bittern Established Member

Well, yes, because Scotsman's the only A3 left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.