• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Idea for Liverpool Trams to be back up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenW390Fan

As a Scouser, I'd love to see trams in Liverpool. I'm not old enough to have seen them back in the early days, but what would you think of bringing them back? Just like the ones in Blackpool, they could run near the pier head and the Albert Dock. Really, the only way of getting along that long stretch of road is walking, unless you have a car, but it's pointless driving as it's not that long. So why not have a little tram shuttle service? Southport Pier had a tram operating up and down, a full sized one, so why not have one on a slightly longer stretch here in Liverpool? It could either make traffic worse and cause congestion or it could reduce it. It would probably have to have dedicated tram lanes, there wouldn't be any point putting it in the lanes of traffic as it wouldn't get anywhere very quick, meaning that it'd be pointless.

What do you think? :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
As a Scouser, I'd love to see trams in Liverpool. I'm not old enough to have seen them back in the early days, but what would you think of bringing them back? Just like the ones in Blackpool, they could run near the pier head and the Albert Dock. Really, the only way of getting along that long stretch of road is walking, unless you have a car, but it's pointless driving as it's not that long. So why not have a little tram shuttle service? Southport Pier had a tram operating up and down, a full sized one, so why not have one on a slightly longer stretch here in Liverpool? It could either make traffic worse and cause congestion or it could reduce it. It would probably have to have dedicated tram lanes, there wouldn't be any point putting it in the lanes of traffic as it wouldn't get anywhere very quick, meaning that it'd be pointless.

The best way to keep it away from traffic would be to put it all on stilts. Maybe we could call it an overhead railway ?

But, seriously there are many potential problems. Merseytravel would probably want to be involved. And remember what happened when they last wanted a tramway ?
££££££ wasted on ideas /proposals, some of which seemed to be from dreamland, but no tram system.
And anyone just interested in trams only needs to get the ferry to Birkenhead Woodside to see a working line (on those days when it actually operates.)

johnmoly

The best way to keep it away from traffic would be to put it all on stilts. Maybe we could call it an overhead railway ?

But, seriously there are many potential problems. Merseytravel would probably want to be involved. And remember what happened when they last wanted a tramway ?
££££££ wasted on ideas /proposals, some of which seemed to be from dreamland, but no tram system.
And anyone just interested in trams only needs to get the ferry to Birkenhead Woodside to see a working line (on those days when it actually operates.)

I read somewhere that Merseytravel still have the tracks they bought stored somewhere. Yes, I recall all that nonsense, and wanting the trams to run from Liverpool to Kirkby in my mind was nonsense when you have a train that goes there every 15 minutes during the day. A better idea would have been to Liverpool airport.
The only thing Merseytravel got right was to cancel their Solicitors from persuing the Government for the £50million it costed them, as the only winners would have been solicitors.

BenW390Fan

Now we're going back to the old Liverpool Overhead railway lol. Jesus, Liverpool has had loads of transport systems that haven't carried on into the modern day. Trams are possible, it's just hard to find a way, if that makes sense.

6Gman

Established Member

Pier Head to Albert Dock is ... what ... 400 yards? What's the point?

BenW390Fan

Pier Head to Albert Dock is ... what ... 400 yards? What's the point?
"Could run near". They wouldn't just go from the Pier Head to the Albert Dock, I mean along the whole waterfront. It could also possibly go in the Albert Dock bit, by where the boats are launched.

6Gman

Established Member
Didn't Rotheram (or it might have been Anderson) float the idea of a tourist-orientated Overhead Railway a few months ago?

Polarbear

Established Member
I think there's scope for a tram network in Liverpool. There are quite a few transport corridors which currently have high frequency bus services, and there are some large gaps in rail provision in the area.

Added to that, those who have ventured into the suburbs will note that many of the 1930's build areas have boulevards with wide central reservations, many of which were built with trams in mind. If they could be used for that purpose, it should make building a tram network relatively straightforward.

I thought the plan to build a line between Liverpool & Kirkby was a bit daft, as whilst it's a busy bus corridor, there's also a frequent heavy rail service between the two. Off the top of my head, my rough idea for a tram network would include;

• City Centre - Netherton via Bootle town centre
  • City Centre - Croxteth
  • City Centre - Stoclkbridge Village
  • City Centre - Airport

BenW390Fan

I think there's scope for a tram network in Liverpool. There are quite a few transport corridors which currently have high frequency bus services, and there are some large gaps in rail provision in the area.

Added to that, those who have ventured into the suburbs will note that many of the 1930's build areas have boulevards with wide central reservations, many of which were built with trams in mind. If they could be used for that purpose, it should make building a tram network relatively straightforward.

I thought the plan to build a line between Liverpool & Kirkby was a bit daft, as whilst it's a busy bus corridor, there's also a frequent heavy rail service between the two. Off the top of my head, my rough idea for a tram network would include;

• City Centre - Netherton via Bootle town centre
  • City Centre - Croxteth
  • City Centre - Stoclkbridge Village
  • City Centre - Airport
Yes! They sound perfect. The Airport line could go along the big road of Mather Avenue, it's got plenty of space there.

Status
Not open for further replies.