• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Identifying a signalman (1907)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalWynn24

Hi all,

This is a picture taken of Langley Mill and Eastwood station in 1907. My great-grandfather worked at the station at the time as a raliway signalman. Is it possible that anyone could help identify who from the image is a signalman based off their uniforms? Any help would be great.
Langley Mill Station 1907.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I am not knowledgeable about this, but if there is a signalman in the picture I would think he would be the third from the left. Three appear to be painters or carpenters, the man on the right is probably a ganger (or someone who works in the yard) and the man on the left looks as though he only has a simple uniform, as would befit a junior porter. Of the other two, the one to the right of centre has a watch chain, which a signalman wouldn’t need as signal boxes have clocks. Which leaves the man left of centre as the most likely to be a signalman, although the man with the watch chain is still a possibility.

Someone in the Midland Railway Society would probably know more about uniforms.

WesternLancer

Established Member
If it was during the signalman's shift of duty would he be able to leave the signal box to pose for a photograph? I'm assuming the signal box would be staffed 24 hours a day.In which case is there any guarantee the signalman would even be in the photo at all?

John Webb

Established Member
I'm inclined to WesternLancer's view. I assume the station is being repainted, hence the stepladders by the building and the bench moved forward to give room for them. Langley Mill and Eastwood was a busy main line station and I doubt very much if the signalman would be able to leave his box. According to maps of the period on the National Library of Scotland's website, there was a signal box a bit north of the station platforms, one to the west at Heanor Goods Junction and one to the south at Heanor Junction; the latter two being a significant distance away from the station

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I would imagine that a station like Langley Mill would have several ‘station’ staff in 1907 without having to rope a signalman in.

CalWynn24

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on it, it has helped me a lot

I have employment records from the year 1907 so I know who was a signalman at each station box in the area around Langley Mill. But as you guys said, there's a good chance a signalman working at the station wouldn't have been able to stand for a photo. Thanks again everyone for your help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.