• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IE 2700 class

Status
Not open for further replies.

GospelOak117

I have just been made aware that Iarnrod Eireann are withdrawing the 14-year old Alsthom class 2700 DMU's from this month. Is there any chance of their use over here to replace much older, unsuitable DMU's that we are still running, or just to compliment the Diesel fleet? It seems a fuss is being made in Ireland over the lack of parts to keep these units in service. We have many GEC Alstholm products and manage to keep them running!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/2722_irishrail.jpg

Would this not look good in Northern or Great Western livery? :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
Pretty poor isn't it? The oldest class 66's are older than that, and it doesn't seem two minutes ago when they were landing

bnsf734

They would not have a safety case over here, so would have to be certified from scratch, and with the gauging issues, would be very unlikely to happen.

Think one of the reasons they are being replaced is that of reliability, so cannot see anybody taking them on.

route:oxford

Established Member
They would not have a safety case over here, so would have to be certified from scratch, and with the gauging issues, would be very unlikely to happen.

Think one of the reasons they are being replaced is that of reliability, so cannot see anybody taking them on.

How would the single car units, once re-bogied, look in a Go-op livery on the Mid-Hants?

ukrob

Established Member

You do realise that the main "gauging issue" is that they don't run on standard gauge rails?

starrymarkb

Established Member
I think Ireland may have made some of the same mistakes as BR during their modernisation plan. They rush through and buy crap from Alstom. I understand the Alstom DART units have been withdrawn from service for some time due to unreliability :roll:

But I can't see anyone being interested in a handful of modern but ultimately crap units, (and before anyone says it, Voyagers do at least have sound mechanicals!)

PFX

I understand the Alstom DART units have been withdrawn from service for some time due to unreliability

Not sure about this but I do recall that during my time living in Dublin, the DART depot at Clontarf had a large Alstom sign on the outside of it. Perhaps a sign that they were based there permenantly to mop up? Or not.

As for the 2700s, prior to the connecting corridors being removed, they actually looked like UK 158s. After the corridors were removed, they just looked rank.

IR-Mark4/ICR

They rush through and buy crap from Alstom. I understand the Alstom DART units have been withdrawn from service for some time due to unreliability

Yes they have being withdrawan. The 5 sets spent around a year out of service in 2007-8 and 3 out of the 5 sets resumed services but were then completely withdrawn recently after they returned to service. Back then the plan was for them to be sold in 2012. Not sure what the latest is.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I was disappointed to read this news, especially after managing to get in the 2609/2716 hybrid on a Cobh service last week and then 2720+2721 on a Limerick Junction to Waterford service the same day. Kinda regret not doing Ballina now as that was also 2720+2721 then later a different pair on Friday 30th March 2012.

Most enjoyable my trips on the 2700 class were, heart-of-wessex (if he's reading this) will no doubt recall being woken by the driver sounding his horn on a frequent basis on our trio of 2700s from Rosslare Europort to Dublin Connolly some years ago! Although I'm left with one question:

When the 2700s go, what will replace them?

4SRKT

Established Member
You do realise that the main "gauging issue" is that they don't run on standard gauge rails?

I suspect the main gauging issue is that the are built to the much larger Irish loading guage. You could refit with standard gauge bogies if you wanted, but there's not much you can do about them not fitting under UK bridges!

Csalem

When the 2700s go, what will replace them?

New Intercity Class 22000s have arrived which are going to make all Sligo and Rosslare services 22 operated, and some Longford services will go over to 22s. This will free up 29000s to put onto services to Drogheda and Maynooth and the 2800s are transferring to Limerick to replace the 2700s. Also some 22000s will take over Limerick to Limerick Jct services.

IR-Mark4/ICR

New Intercity Class 22000s have arrived which are going to make all Sligo and Rosslare services 22 operated, and some Longford services will go over to 22s. This will free up 29000s to put onto services to Drogheda and Maynooth and the 2800s are transferring to Limerick to replace the 2700s. Also some 22000s will take over Limerick to Limerick Jct services.

Almost certain that all Sligo are 22000 (including 09.00 ex Dublin and 13.05 ex Sligo)

22000 will operate on Drogheada line as well.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It'll be mentioned in the trip report, but I had a pair of 29000s from Dublin to Sligo and return during my Irish Trekker bash recently. Saw another working later that day on my way back south with a pair of them on too.

I take it the Rotems still only go up to 22063?

PFX

Merely curious, I'm not a basher myself but I understand the reasons for doing so, particularly during the days of loco hauled services and slam door DMUs. I wonder though, as DMUs become ever more generic, is the attraction still going to be there?

The CAF3/4000s don't exactly offer an enticing fleet to the basher. Or do they?

IR-Mark4/ICR

I take it the Rotems still only go up to 22063?

22010 and 22011 were scrapped and being rebuilt due lather this year
22033 out of service since september 2011 - until further notice
22047-22063 not all units have in service yet due to a faults which were repaired. Off top of my head around 7 sets from that batch have entered passenger service. Irish Rail have not accepted all of them yet from Rotem. More sets will enter service over the next few weeks.

There is still a shortage to cover all IC services but I don't know why two services to sligo would of being 29000. Suspect a set of 22000 had a fault and had to be fixed.

Last edited:

GM078

New Intercity Class 22000s have arrived which are going to make all Sligo and Rosslare services 22 operated, and some Longford services will go over to 22s.

Indeed. And quite a welcome development.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It'll be mentioned in the trip report, but I had a pair of 29000s from Dublin to Sligo and return during my Irish Trekker bash recently. Saw another working later that day on my way back south with a pair of them on too.

I know on Sundays the 15:05 Connolly-Sligo is worked by a pair of 29000s, think it's at least partly to do with coping with the masses of students, etc, returning to Dublin on the evening train out of Sligo.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
22010 and 22011 were scrapped and being rebuilt due lather this year
22033 out of service since september 2011 - until further notice
22047-22063 not all units have in service yet due to a faults which were repaired. Off top of my head around 7 sets from that batch have entered passenger service. Irish Rail have not accepted all of them yet from Rotem. More sets will enter service over the next few weeks.

There is still a shortage to cover all IC services but I don't know why two services to sligo would of being 29000. Suspect a set of 22000 had a fault and had to be fixed.

Interesting, swear I saw 22010 at Heuston at one point, could have been an error and need to correct my notes. That'll be why I haven't got many ticks in my handwritten fleetlists then between 22047 and 22063.

As for the 29000s being out, I also expected Rotem being broken at the time. For the record, I did the 1305 Connolly to Sligo and 1700 return on 1st April 2012, the 1505 was probably the other working I saw 29000s on. Can't be bothered to look for my notebook at the moment. I can quite understand them using a pair of 29000s on the 1505 to Sligo and 1905 back, the amount of students on my working were quite significant so the later one may have been worse!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bloody DMU bashers ;)

Hush you skip basher! ;)

Which reminds me, PM on the way to you!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Probably just a case of my having been unable to ID them then, only got 4 of that batch ticked off and one underlined. Plenty of time to get them in someday anyway.

Also, why did 22010 and 22011 get withdrawn?

GM078

Also, why did 22010 and 22011 get withdrawn?

They were found to have bad corrosion, and thus were returned to Korea without ever entering traffic with IÉ. Rotem are supplying replacement sets as part of the current run. There was talk that the body shells might get reused.

I guess technically they didn't even get withdrawn, for to be withdrawn they would have had to have entered service at some point! I wonder has it happened anywhere else before.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite possible, but very unlikely. Thanks for the gen, hopefully by the time I get over there again for my next trip they'll be out in service.

IR-Mark4/ICR

They were found to have bad corrosion, and thus were returned to Korea without ever entering traffic with IÉ. Rotem are supplying replacement sets as part of the current run. There was talk that the body shells might get reused.

They are having a complete rebuild, decided not to use the shells in the end.

Quite possible, but very unlikely. Thanks for the gen, hopefully by the time I get over there again for my next trip they'll be out in service.

It will most lightly be late 2012 before in passenger service. When they arrive it will take 12 weeks of commissioning and that is if there are no faults unlike 22047-22063 batch which were laying around for over 7 months before the fault was fixed.

Csalem

I guess technically they didn't even get withdrawn, for to be withdrawn they would have had to have entered service at some point! I wonder has it happened anywhere else before.

I suppose Freightliner's 70012 would be the closest comparison though at least 10 and 11 made it onto Irish Rail metals. They were in Limerick Jct for a while as I managed to get a shot of them there.

dubscottie

Under the rules anything that is passed to run in NI is passed to run in the UK as a whole..

I posted up the dimensions of the 2700's and cross sections taken from official drawings here..

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1049388&postcount=37

The 2 units returned to Korea were scrapped. What happened was they were next to leaking tanker of acid on the ship which formed gas on contact with sea water. As they units were in plastic wrapping the gas could not escape and corroded every bare metal surface. They never made it off the ship so the units you spotted must have been the replacements.

Last edited:

Csalem

10 and 11 did make it off the ship as noted on another forum. They were unloaded in Waterford on 13 July 2007 and returned to Korea in May 2008. The toxic gas destroyed the wiring. Here they are in Limerick Jucntion on 12 December 2007:
22010LimerickJunction121207i.jpg

22011LimerickJunction121207.jpg

daniel3982

Those & the new CAF trains in Northern Ireland are both very attractive units & would make a good DMU replacement for over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.