• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If RailUKforums was a train would it be PRM/TSI compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam Williams

Established Member
Unlike many website users, I have a HP Pavilion desktop computer with a large screen monitor. Where will I find this floating arrow on the system I use?

The screen size shouldn't matter, it'll appear 30px from the bottom edge and 5px from the right edge when the user scrolls up (once is enough to trigger it).

175mph

On Moderation
I think RailForums, if it was a train, would be of a Class 800 series. :)

Roast Veg

Established Member
Not if we assume WCAG 2.0 compliance to correspond 1-1 with PRM-TSI compliance :lol:

I suspect a lot of it is XenForo's fault, though..
Indeed this is the closest approximation, and there are several issues with accessibility on this site. The new automatic avatars are a brilliant example of low contrast areas (yours, Adam, is 2.89:1 which is below the 3:1 threshold for large text) as well as the "current page number". Additionally, the minimum permitted font size for user posts is too low. It's not nearly as bad as some of the sites I've worked with though! I'd give it a dispensation for the contrast and a derogation for the font size as it's technically a feature.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I do wonder if it would be possible for there to be an "accessible" forum theme as well as the default RailUK one? XenForo does support user-selectable multiple themes, as is evident from the option to change to the Buses & Coaches header in the main part of the forum.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Since the user-selectable font size is fixed to some pt value, then no, there is no WCAG compliant theme.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The screen size shouldn't matter, it'll appear 30px from the bottom edge and 5px from the right edge when the user scrolls up (once is enough to trigger it).
No luck so far, but thanks for your advice.
To paraphrase, the "jump-to-top" arrow is normally hidden: you won't see it when a forum page loads, or when scrolling down to read more posts. If you scroll upward slightly (i.e. as if you were starting to head manually to the top of the page) the box with the arrow should show up in the lower right hand corner of the window. Scrolling down again will make it disappear again.

It's a "user interface design" idea to hide things until you need them, the logic being that if you're scrolling down the screen, you clearly don't want to go up to the top of the screen. It's the sort of thing that's become popular on interfaces on little portable displays, and is spreading to other devices too. (Opinions on this sort of design philosophy differ.)

As you're using a desktop machine, there's another alternative available to you: pressing the "Home" key (typically just above the arrow keys on a traditional keyboard) will take you straight to the top of the current web page. (It's also on laptop computers, but the smaller keyboard means that keys are shuffled about a bit, so you might have to take a moment to search the keyboard for it the first time.)

scotrail158713

Established Member
I think I’ve figured out the issue with the formatting menu sometimes being unavailable. If it’s unavailable for you, try clicking the cog on the far right of the second row (circled below). It seems to work for me anyway.

14404B4F-FAF1-408B-9327-D2544E5E3140.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.