• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If the train door is closing, does pressing the button open it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
If the train door is closing under the following circumstance, does pressing the button open it again?

1. It is closing automatically after opened for some time. In this case, is the open button effective immediately or do I need to wait until the door is completely closed before it can be opened again?

2. It is closing due to the driver pressing the door close button. In this case, does pressing the button effective in opening the door if the interlock hasn't been achieved yet (if it does, it can prevent the dangerous act of force boarding through the closing door).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theking

On stock I know.

1) button is active throughout the closing sequence so it will reset the automatic door closing sequence.

2) once the driver presses door close the button becomes inoperable and the door will close regardless of whether you press the button or not

D365

Veteran Member
If the train door is closing under the following circumstance, does pressing the button open it again?

1. It is closing automatically after opened for some time. In this case, is the open button effective immediately or do I need to wait until the door is completely closed before it can be opened again?

2. It is closing due to the driver pressing the door close button. In this case, does pressing the button effective in opening the door if the interlock hasn't been achieved yet (if it does, it can prevent the dangerous act of force boarding through the closing door).
By and large, the answers are no, and no.

XAM2175

Established Member
By and large, the answers are no, and no.
I would have said that the answer to 1) by and large is yes, it will re-open the door immediately. 2) is definitely no, with no exceptions that I can think of.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I'm fairly sure that on at least some stock in answer to 1 you can (if you're inside the train) simply cross the sensor and the doors will open.
But 2 will always carry on closing

Crossover

Established Member
From recollection, on 185's, the button is active immediately when the door is just auto-closing. Pressing it or obstructing the low level sensor will halt the closing and reopen the doors. When the guard has closed them however the buttons are deactivated

I would have said that the answer to 1) by and large is yes, it will re-open the door immediately. 2) is definitely no, with no exceptions that I can think of.
I would consider @D365's answer to be correct - it is a double negative - the question was do you need to wait for the door to close, the answer to which is no

XAM2175

Established Member
I would consider @D365's answer to be correct - it is a double negative - the question was do you need to wait for the door to close, the answer to which is no
See, the question begins "is the open button effective immediately...", which attracts the answer of "yes" ;)

Jturner98

On the Electrostars this is how it works:

1. You press the door open button
2. Doors remain open for 30 seconds (60 on a 378)
3. After above time the closing alarm will sound and the doors will close. If you look at the bottom there is a sensor pointing at a reflector. If this beak is broken the doors won’t close and the timer will reset.
4. When the doors are closing the door open button will illuminate. You can open them now or when they shut.
5. The only time you can’t open them is when the driver or guard has pressed interlock. When this happens the button won’t illuminate.

Hope that answers your question.

Established Member

3. After above time the closing alarm will sound and the doors will close. If you look at the bottom there is a sensor pointing at a reflector. If this beak is broken the doors won’t close and the timer will reset.
4. When the doors are closing the door open button will illuminate. You can open them now or when they shut.
5. The only time you can’t open them is when the driver or guard has pressed interlock. When this happens the button won’t illuminate.

It is the same on 170's.

ComUtoR

Established Member

On an Electrostar. How do you press interlock ?

ComUtoR

Established Member
That will be in the cab or a in a guards panel next to the doors.

Do you mean the 'close door' button - interlock is a status?

Yes. I press 'doors close' The doors will close and then I get a blue light that confirms interlock has been gained. There are times where I can lose interlock but no door release has been provided.

I only sign two types of Electrostar so maybe there is a press interlock button on a specific unit.

TheEdge

Established Member
I only sign two types of Electrostar so maybe there is a press interlock button on a specific unit.

Over the years I've signed 153/6/8, 170, Mk3, 755 and 745.

I've never known a specific interlock button, interlock/CDL has always been a state achieved by pressing the doors close button.

Skoodle

Probably the same on 377s, but on the 378s if the hustle alarm starts after the timer has finished and is about to automatically close the doors, breaking the beam will stop the hustle alarm and reset. As you said though, once the driver has pressed the close door button, the passenger open door buttons are inoperative.

Jturner98

Probably the same on 377s, but on the 378s if the hustle alarm starts after the timer has finished and is about to automatically close the doors, breaking the beam will stop the hustle alarm and reset. As you said though, once the driver has pressed the close door button, the passenger open door buttons are inoperative.
On the 378s when the door close hustle alarm sounds it can be broken and cancelled if you break the barrier before that door starts to close. If the doors are closing providing the driver hasn’t pressed the door close button in the cab you can open them by pressing the door open button.

Skoodle

On the 378s when the door close hustle alarm sounds it can be broken and cancelled if you break the barrier before that door starts to close. If the doors are closing providing the driver hasn’t pressed the door close button in the cab you can open them by pressing the door open button.
Thank you for repeating exactly what I said.

MCR247

Established Member
Yes this is the same right down to the earliest 377s

Status
Not open for further replies.