• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If your child wanted to become a bus driver, would you encourage them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwanesh

A simple answer go for it. If you decide to go to uni do bus driving part time when you are at uni. My friends son did bus driving weekends and during holidays.He has since graduated but he does bus driving every now and then. That way you can really see what you want.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I would like to ask all current and former bus drivers what the positives and negatives of the job and whether you would recommend it to someone like me. Thanks.
As I fall into the category you have asked for replies from, I will reply and stay on topic.

Numerous replies on here from people who have never driven a mile in service or understood your question.

If one of my children wanted to become a bus driver I would assume they were having a psychotic episode and seek medical help.

If you want to be a bus driver because you are an enthusiast, don't. It's not the job most enthusiast imagine, driving isn't even the majority of the work, I would say it's about 40%. Driving a modern bus is a doddle.

Other drivers opinion might differ.

Bus companies are notoriously poor employers, the industry is circling the drain, the race to the bottom is well documented. 11 quid an hour when you are 15 years old might sound good, but you won't see 8 of that, for what it entails that is simply not competitive.

It's an industry where abuse and assaults has become normalised, being bricked isn't even seen as that big a deal. My direct experience, not picked up from forums or companies statements. Where heaters jammed on in summer and not working in winter how the companies set their buses up.

In real terms drivers are on a fraction of what they were on 40 years ago.

Have a look at the driving hours for local service work. Very few enthusiasts stay driving, a tiny minority get promoted, the rest leave for normal, non cowboy jobs.

I knew one guy who left the first shift he did at the maximum driving hours. Ask to see their rotas and what their holiday allocation procedure is, they like to keep these well hidden. By the time you find out, you owe the company thousands and are relatively stuck.

If you still want to go ahead, good luck, but make sure you have plenty of other options.

RJ

Established Member
Bus companies are notoriously poor employers, the industry is circling the drain, the race to the bottom is well documented. 11 quid an hour when you are 15 years old might sound good, but you won't see 8 of that, for what it entails that is simply not competitive.

That would depend on where you work - the terms of employment are made known and it’s a take it or leave it thing. I run an operation and I treat drivers the way I’d like to be treated. The basic rate is a few pounds higher than average for the area, with enhancements for rail work and driving vehicles with more than two axles. I pay from start to finish, no deducting breaks or spreadovers. Signing on earns a minumum 6 hours pay even if it’s a short shift. Short notice shift cancellations are still paid. Defects are rectified as soon as reasonably practicable and I wouldn’t allocate a vehicle I wouldn’t drive myself.

The idea is if I run with favourable terms, staff will be happy to work and more likely to help by doing more than the minimum if needed. To be fair, I drove for Go Ahead’s rail replacement department and they have a very similar ethos - and they retain a decent amount of drivers.

DustyBin

Established Member
There's some good advice within this thread.

I particularly agree with @Bletchleyite and the others who've suggested taking say 3 or maybe 4 years out of full time education, and then returning if that's what you want to do. What I would strongly advise though is completing your GCSEs to the best of your ability, and doing A-levels (or equivalents). That way, should you decide you want to go to Uni at the age of say 22/23 you should get straight in, rather than having to mess around with foundation degrees or similar.

The above is basically what I did. I would never have chosen my career (or degree) when I was 18, it simply wouldn't have occurred to me. It was only through some "real world" experience that it came about.

If you're interested in buses why not join a local preservation group? As well as indulging your interest, you may meet people who work in the industry.

MotCO

Established Member
That would depend on where you work - the terms of employment are made known and it’s a take it or leave it thing. I run an operation and I treat drivers the way I’d like to be treated. The basic rate is a few pounds higher than average for the area, with enhancements for rail work and driving vehicles with more than two axles. I pay from start to finish, no deducting breaks or spreadovers. Signing on earns a minumum 6 hours pay even if it’s a short shift. Short notice shift cancellations are still paid. Defects are rectified as soon as reasonably practicable and I wouldn’t allocate a vehicle I wouldn’t drive myself.

The idea is if I run with favourable terms, staff will be happy to work and more likely to help by doing more than the minimum if needed. To be fair, I drove for Go Ahead’s rail replacement department and they have a very similar ethos - and they retain a decent amount of drivers.

Where do I sign up? ;)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thank you all for your responses, but I think this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.