• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ignoring the LTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred26

It is my opinion that the LTS is being ignored in plans for new lines.

Let's start with High Speed 1. The line runs parallel to the LTS through Barking, the docks at Dagenham, Rainham and Purfleet before disappearing across the river. Couldn't an interchange station have been opened? I'm not suggesting that Eurostar services could have stopped there, but the South Eastern Domestic services, certainly could have. Instead there is not a HS1 connection with the LTS, meaning passengers have to travel to Stratford. A station would also have been handy for travel to St Pancras and Kings Cross.

When the East London Line was extended, I thought it would have made sense to build a new platforms at Shadwell for the LTS to connect to it. I realise that stopping at Limehouse and Shadwell would be daft, but perhaps the Limehouse services could've been swapped for Shadwell, which would have provided much further reaching connections.

Finally, I think the LTS should have a station on Crossrail. I'm not sure of the path of the line, but it will run from Whitechapel to Canary Wharf. If it's as the crow flies, the line will run more or less through Limehouse station. However, looking at my ELL proposal, if Crossrail was diverted, a station could be built at Shadwell.

All of which would mean the LTS would lose all interchange at Limehouse, but gain better interchanges at Shadwell, with the DLR, ELL and Crossrail. Plus HS1 somewhere around Barking.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cle

Established Member
I think the East London Line idea is the most feasible to be honest. I don't think any major redesigns would happen to Crossrail or HS1. I agree it has been largely unaffected by many recent changes to East London's transport network.

However, soon West Ham will have very nippy DLR connections to Stratford International which will benefit LTS passengers using the station. It'll also give them quick ride to both London City Airport and Custom House (for Crossrail) in the other direction. So 'change at West Ham' may become a popular one...even though it's a bit of a double back.

Status
Not open for further replies.