• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ilfracombe line manned gate boxes c1970

Good evening !

I’m planning a 00 gauge model railway in my garden, based on the Ilfracombe branch c1970 . Can anyone tell me how many manned signal / gate boxes there were left on the last year of operation ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

Agree. The line forward to Ilfracombe operated on the 'one engine in steam' mode. Although the boxes (Wrafton, Braunton. Mortehoe and Ilfracombe) all closed, ground frames were kept for the crossings and for the run round at Ilfracombe, plus all crossings were still protected by signals in both directions (GF operated), so there were still crossing keepers employed I believe. Whether any of these were joint responsibilities with remaining station staff?

Veteran Member
The list around 1960 runs:
Junction B
Westcotts Crossing
B Town (2×LC)
Pottington (swing bridge)
Wrafton
Vellator LC
Braunton (2xLC)
Georgeham LC
Stoney Br LC
Heddon Mill LC, block post summer SO
Willingcott (occupation crossing)
Mortehoe (no LC)
Ilfracombe.

(Checked against Nicholas and Reeve, The N Devon Line)

Gloster

Established Member
Westcotts may have closed in 1966 and was probably under Barnstaple Junction B. Willingcott lost its keeper in 1954.

Gloster

Established Member

A bit of rooting around found a couple of aerial photos of the Shapland & Petter site at Sticklepath and it looks as though the level-crossing south of the Taw did not have a hut. As it seemed to be the main entrance to the factory and led on to what passed for a main road in north Devon, it must have been a nightmare for the signalmen. (This oddment has vaguely irritated me for years, so I am glad to have been spurred to find the answer.)