• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ilkley to Kirkstall Forge on a Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyBoy

I’ve just had an excruciating exchange of tweets with Northern but, combined with a bit of research of previous posts on here, I think I’ve got there in the end. Posting for interest. And confirmation.

It all started with seeing my daughter off home on Sunday afternoon from Ilkley [ILK] to Kirkstall Forge [KLF]. She normally buys tickets on her phone but whoever’s app she uses said there were no trains until Monday morning.

She therefore assumed (wrongly as it turns out) she’d have to go into Leeds [LDS] and back out again. So I took her to Ilkley station in time for the LDS train and bought her a ticket to KLF from the machine (£5/£3.30 with her railcard).

I then noticed it said not valid via LDS. The ticket office was open so we asked in there. The man knew that there were no direct trains to KLF on a Sunday, didn’t suggest an alternative and said it should be OK as long as my daughter didn’t leave the station at LDS.

Fortunately she was OK, more by luck though. I thought this was an unsatisfactory state of affairs and decided to get the official line from Northern.

I started by asking them how to get from ILK to KLF on a Sunday as all their website suggests is to wait until Monday. Their first response was, very unhelpfully, that there are no services to KLF on a Sunday and directed me to the Wharfedale Line timetable.

I persisted and their next reply, which I believe to be a correct one, was to change trains at Shipley [SHY]. So I asked, as their website didn’t show it, how I would find out the train times and how I could purchase a ticket online.

They directed me to National Rail Enquiries [NRE], which does indeed show the connections, and said that tickets start at £6.70. I asked Northern why it was more expensive on a Sunday, with the added inconvenience of having to change trains, than it was on other days.

Northern’s response was that I would have to ask NRE that and forwarded my tweet on to them. NRE wasted no time in pointing out that they did not set the prices.

Back to Northern who apologised and said they would report this to their fares team. I concluded by asking them if the £5 not via LDS ticket, if purchased at the station, would be valid via SHY and Northern confirmed that it would.

So what is my understanding? Looking at previous posts on here I think this issue falls into the same category of whether you can go from ILK to LDS via SHY, the answer being technically no but it being generally accepted that you can.

Most booking engines, including Northern’s own, are strictly applying the rules. NRE’s is more helpful in that it actually suggests you can make the journey on a Sunday rather than waiting until Monday morning. However the £6.70 it quotes is made up of two single tickets, ILK to SHY and SHY to KLF. Nowhere can you pay £5 online.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Ilkley to Kirkstall Forge is valid via Leeds according to the Routeing Guide (common routeing points rule); it's just that you can't use the fares that way because they are all routed NOT VIA LEEDS. There have been loads of examples recently of Northern attempting to overrule the routeing guide by introducing fares with restrictive routeings.

Ikley to Apperley Bridge is valid via Shipley because it's the shortest route, but Ilkley to Kirkstall Forge is not, as it's more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route. Northern would need to introduce a local easement if they want the journey to be permitted via Shipley.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
In practice, I doubt that you'd get any bother using a Ilkley to Kirkstall Forge ticket via Shipley, especially on a Sunday when there are no direct trains. As Indigo2 mentioned above, to make it official and to ensure that journey planners show the route via Shipley, Northern could introduce an easement. As there would be no undercutting of fares by doing this then I can't see of a reason why they shouldn't do this. People shouldn't be forced to buy a more expensive combination of two single tickets to make a slower and more inconvenient journey on a Sunday. We know that RDG and TOC managers read this forum, so come on Northern, what about it?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
In practice, I doubt that you'd get any bother using a Ilkley to Kirkstall Forge ticket via Shipley, especially on a Sunday when there are no direct trains. As Indigo2 mentioned above, to make it official and to ensure that journey planners show the route via Shipley, Northern could introduce an easement. As there would be no undercutting of fares by doing this then I can't see of a reason why they shouldn't do this. People shouldn't be forced to buy a more expensive combination of two single tickets to make a slower and more inconvenient journey on a Sunday. We know that RDG and TOC managers read this forum, so come on Northern, what about it?
The easement would only have to be for Sundays, too!

BillyBoy

Fascinating. Thank you for that Indigo2. So you're actually stuffed either way and there is no single ticket available for the journey that is valid on a Sunday.

The remaining choices being the 2 ILK - SHY - KLF singles (£6.70 total) or 2 ILK - LDS - KLF singles (£8.00 total).

Which incidentally you can't buy together by following the link from NRE as it passes you back to Northern which then shows no service until Monday morning.

You could obviously buy them individually but what a faff.

[Edit] just seen above two replies as well, thank you.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
(Replying to ForTheLoveOf)

It would, but as there would be no undercutting of fares then why not have the easement apply at all times? Potential passengers would then have a choice of routes, making train travel more appealing and maybe bring in some more revenue for Northern. However, we know that RDG don't like passengers having a choice of routes because they produce "unnecessary complexity" and offer questionable "value"! Let's see what happens.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
National Rail Enquiries is now saying that an Ilkley-Shipley-Kirkstall Forge journey can be done without buying a combination of tickets. I take it that an easment has been introduced?

BillyBoy

National Rail Enquiries is now saying that an Ilkley-Shipley-Kirkstall Forge journey can be done without buying a combination of tickets. I take it that an easment has been introduced?

Thanks, yes looks like it. NRE now shows the £5 ticket and directs me to London Northwestern Railway to buy it.

However neither they nor Northern have caught up yet as both say "No tickets are available"!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think so, if it has then I am puzzled as to why other fares providers are implementing it, and it isn't on the list of updates produced today (which I'm sure @kieron will be posting about soon in the Routeing Guide Updates thread).

Even Trainline's provider isn't validating this (and that allows all sorts of wacky results!).

Worldline WebTIS sites are allowing it, though whether that means anything either way is questionable ;)

Edit: @Starmill has suggested the shortest route data may have changed. That could potentially be it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.