• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Impact of Covid19 restrictions on the Conwy Valley line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Perhaps it might be a better story for ITV news if they came to film the reopening of the line, intending to see a train but happened upon a Rail Replacement Bus instead.

Eight months and many £millions spent on reopening the line and rebuilding Dolgarrog station and on day one of the reinstatement of train services TfW can only muster a driver and guard for three round trips.

Now that would be a proper news story!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr_Paul

Established Member
When's the next storm forecast? :D

Naughty! Mind you, at the risk of my being a bit cynical, with the record so far perhaps we should open a book on when the line will be washed out next and how long it will take and how much it will cost to put it right.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
With Conwy in lockdown from Thursday passenger numbers will be hit.

But Blaenau Ffestiniog is in Gwynedd not Conwy. Gwynedd is not part of the lockdown and as such passengers may travel through Conwy , Denbighshire and Flintshire to get to Gwynedd. So as long as passengers are not from a county in lockdown with travel restrictions they are allowed to go to Blaenau but not stop anywhere short of it putting them into Conwy.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But Blaenau Ffestiniog is in Gwynedd not Conwy. Gwynedd is not part of the lockdown and as such passengers may travel through Conwy , Denbighshire and Flintshire to get to Gwynedd. So as long as passengers are not from a county in lockdown with travel restrictions they are allowed to go to Blaenau but not stop anywhere short of it putting them into Conwy.

Betws is in Conwy, though, and so is the main tourist destination - and now effectively closed again. I can't see Gwynedd lasting long, as everyone who would have gone to the bits of the National Park in Conwy will crowd out Snowdon (Gwynedd) even more now.

Llandudno

Established Member
Probably gives TfW another excuse to not operate trains on the branch and hire in Llew Jones’ coaches!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Trains not now calling at Dolgarrog due to being unable to accommodate 2 doors at the platform for social distance. TFW have a list of several such stations

Pacef8

Trains not now calling at Dolgarrog due to being unable to accommodate 2 doors at the platform for social distance. TFW have a list of several such stations
You mean they did not build the platform long enough to accommodate the whole length of the train.

Llandudno

Established Member
Unbelievable.

Why not allocate a single Class 153 unit to the service, Conwy is in lockdown from 6pm tomorrow, so capacity is hardly likely to be an issue.

No such short platform issues of course with the Rail Replacement Bus that’s scheduled to operate four journeys on the line tomorrow!

Llandudno

Established Member
This would have been a far more newsworthy story for BBC/ITV than the celebration of trains of returning to the Conwy Valley!

Parham Wood

Unbelievable.

Why not allocate a single Class 153 unit to the service, Conwy is in lockdown from 6pm tomorrow, so capacity is hardly likely to be an issue.

No such short platform issues of course with the Rail Replacement Bus that’s scheduled to operate four journeys on the line tomorrow!
It implies the platform is not long enough to accommodate one coach i.e. two doors one at each end so a 153 would not fit either unless it has a door in the middle. I assume one door is for the conductor and one for passengers.

Rhys4567

I boarded at Dolgarrog on Monday. It was a 2 car class 150 train. All 4 doors were at platform level. I boarded at the front-most passenger doors of the front carriage and the conductor operated the doors from the rear-most door of the rear carriage. Not sure why trains cannot call here tbh - surely 4 doors is more than enough for social distancing.

Sheridan

Betws is in Conwy, though, and so is the main tourist destination - and now effectively closed again. I can't see Gwynedd lasting long, as everyone who would have gone to the bits of the National Park in Conwy will crowd out Snowdon (Gwynedd) even more now.
I realise you’re (half-)joking but tourism up yr Wyddfa won’t have too much of an effect on Gwynedd as there won’t be many locals heading up the mountain, and when all these people get infected and go home, the cases will be listed in their home county, presumably?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I realise you’re (half-)joking but tourism up yr Wyddfa won’t have too much of an effect on Gwynedd as there won’t be many locals heading up the mountain, and when all these people get infected and go home, the cases will be listed in their home county, presumably?

No, I think I didn't make my point too well. I reckon Gwynedd will end up in "local lockdown" soon enough, for the same reasons the other counties did. And Wales likes to get its back up about Snowdon being busy, so another reason for doing that or for closing the mountain as they did once before.

Can't imagine it being busy today, though, the weather is a bit more Welsh.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I boarded at Dolgarrog on Monday. It was a 2 car class 150 train. All 4 doors were at platform level. I boarded at the front-most passenger doors of the front carriage and the conductor operated the doors from the rear-most door of the rear carriage. Not sure why trains cannot call here tbh - surely 4 doors is more than enough for social distancing.

TFW are not running anything with less than 2 Cars at the moment to compensate for COVID loss of seats and all doors must be accommodated at the platform. There would, I assume, be a passenger door in use in each carriage and a separate door for the conductor. Although a 150 has worked the service this week it is booked for a 153 so that is why the restriction has been introduced as 2 x 153s would be 3 metres over length. This is my understanding of the position so may not be correct..

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
TFW are not running anything with less than 2 Cars at the moment to compensate for COVID loss of seats and all doors must be accommodated at the platform. There would, I assume, be a passenger door in use in each carriage and a separate door for the conductor. Although a 150 has worked the service this week it is booked for a 153 so that is why the restriction has been introduced as 2 x 153s would be 3 metres over length. This is my understanding of the position so may not be correct..

Crikey, if you're going to bother rebuilding that station (I remain surprised it wasn't just closed, given how basically nobody used it) why not make it 48m long, particularly given that 48m-long 197s are going to work it in due course?

That or cheap out properly and make it only about 5-10m long and always worked single-door, like Beauly or something.

This seems Marston Vale levels of short-sightedness. (The MV has platforms and signal positioning issues that means a maximum of 40m of train operating it, which is the whole reason the 230s even exist there).

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It implies the platform is not long enough to accommodate one coach i.e. two doors one at each end so a 153 would not fit either unless it has a door in the middle. I assume one door is for the conductor and one for passengers.

Couldn't they use a two coach unit and use the inner pair of doors?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
This has appeared on TFW Journey Check:-

Alterations to services at Dolgarrog

Due to a short-notice change to the timetable at Dolgarrog:
Impact
Train services running through this station may be running non stop between North Llanrwst and Tal-Y-Cafn. Dolgarrog will not be served. Disruption is expected until 08:15 08/10.
Customer Advice
Trains will not stop at Dolgarrog. Road transport is in place to convey passengers to/from this station

This date and time, I think is cosmetic as it is a suitable time to document for Timetable purposes which is what is happening now. I notice on RTT that the location has been deleted from the train schedules from that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.