• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

In-built HABD

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgintrain1

I'm aware that Class 220 Voyagers (Edit) have their own Hot Axel Box Detectors built into the train. Was just wondering what other traction also has them built in?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aleggatta

I'm aware that Class 221 Super Voyagers have their own Hot Axel Box Detectors built into the train. Was just wondering what other traction also has them built in?
the later electrostars feature HABD (377/6/7/387). There was a trial unit of the early 377 variety that had retrofitted axle monitoring kit (a wireless box on every axle) but I can't remember if that was HABD, an impact detector(for bearing failure) or both. I don't know if the trial unit was extended to the whole fleet.

Erniescooper

All the new CAF trains have it because they have inboard axle bearings. If you suffer a bearing failure with an inboard bearing it won’t set off line side detectors.

Dunfanaghy Rd

Its nothing new. Going back to the 80s or 90s a batch of aggregate hoppers built for ARC had a 'low track force' bogie with this feature. I think the national Power hopper fleet also had them, until rebogied by DB.
Pat

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Its nothing new. Going back to the 80s or 90s a batch of aggregate hoppers built for ARC had a 'low track force' bogie with this feature. I think the national Power hopper fleet also had them, until rebogied by DB.
Pat
I believe this was a fusible plug near the axlebox connected to the brake pipe so it would apply the brake if the axle box got too hot.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I'm aware that Class 221 Super Voyagers have their own Hot Axel Box Detectors built into the train. Was just wondering what other traction also has them built in?

I hate to be a pedant, but it’s only the Cl220s that have onboard hot axle box alarms due to them using inside frame bogies. Axle boxes on Cl221s with their outside frames are monitored conventionally by lineside equipment.

Both classes have fusible plugs which will give a Level 3 bogie fault alarm, but these also serve the purpose of alerting the driver to an overheating gearbox.

virgintrain1

I hate to be a pedant, but it’s only the Cl220s that have onboard hot axle box alarms due to them using inside frame bogies. Axle boxes on Cl221s with their outside frames are monitored conventionally by lineside equipment.

Both classes have fusible plugs which will give a Level 3 bogie fault alarm, but these also serve the purpose of alerting the driver to an overheating gearbox.
How silly of me! You're quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.