• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

In your opinion what is the most depressing song you've listened to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoYellas

London Underground song.

The most depressing lyrics:

All they say is "can you mind the doors"
And they learn that on their 2 day course

;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drogba11CFC

Being a Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator player since 2020, I used to listen to the Country Show on Truckers.FM during lockdown, as well as the in-game Country station. And both seemed to be contractually obligated to play Martina McBride's Independence Day at every opportunity. (Bear in mind that for a station called BigRigFM, it played very few songs about Big Rigs.)

Not only is it an absolute dirge, you don't really want to hear a song about arson and murder/suicide when you're hauling flammables through a country where the locals regard traffic laws as a suggestion.

But my vote goes to That's the way it is by Daniel Lanois - if you know, you know.

Last edited:

Lost property

As has been mentioned, anything by Dylan, when performed by Dylan, great music and lyrics when performed by just about anybody else.

Harry Chapin deserves a mention..other than "Northwest 222 "most of Harry's songs tend to induce full scale melancholy.

"In the Arms of an Angel "...very popular at funerals for a while...until the meaning of the lyrics became apparent.

" Nobodies child "...

And, as also mentioned, the National Dirge...bad enough in the Summer, but when played / sung in the middle of a wet, cold, already miserable day, and you have no option other than to listen to it, if you were part of the proceedings as it were...instant depression. Compare it to the Welsh Anthem, or, yes I know, it's not the official anthem, but "Flower of Scotland " deserves a mention as both produce passionate renditions.

Strathclyder

Established Member
"Four Boys Lost" by the Levellers (quite recent so not well known) is about this little-known sea tragedy in Scotland, and contains some wonderful imagery so you can almost feel you are there if you listen to the lyrics. It's a much smaller-scale tragedy than the above but the concepts are closely related.

That was a sobering read to say the least, all the more so given it occurred in Scotland, not that far from Clydebank to Iona as the crow flies compared to the distance from here to the Great Lakes. Perhaps the most haunting aspect of it is just how young those lads were. As the author pointed out, how on earth is a small island community supposed to move on from such a loss. I'll be filing the name of that song it inspired away for future reference, many thanks for bringing it to my attention.

dgl

Established Member
The Johnny Cash cover of NIN's Hurt, the video just adds to the depression.

matacaster

On Moderation
Anything by Leonard Cohen. His fan base would have been much larger had they not tended to commit suicide.

+ Peter skellern.

Gloster

Established Member
I don’t see it as depressing, but Roy Harper’s song When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease has an elegiac feeling of sadness. If they allow two songs at my funeral, this will join Teenage Kicks.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I would distingish between "sad" and "depressing" songs. Anything sung with a droning monotonous voice is depressing, so can only agree with others who name Morrissey & Leonard Cohen, to which I add Gilbert O' Sullivan & Barry White.

I also add the hymn, "Oh come, oh come Emmanuel" - a dreary song for what ought to be a great message.

alexf380

Established Member
The kids aren't alright - Fall out boy

Beautiful James - Placebo

I miss you - Blink182

The only exception - Paramore

They're all pretty depressing I'd say. At least, they're all on my sad playlist on Spotify :lol:

GS250

Some early Fish era Marillion material is both superb musically but extremely depressing at the same time.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
An old Hungarian folk-song (called "Gloomy Sunday" in English) is often said to be the most depressing song ever written, with various urban legends about it driving people (particularly Hungarians) to suicide. So much so that the original is also known simply as "The Hungarian Suicide Song". Versions have been recorded or performed by a wide range of artists from Billie Holliday to Björk, and Ray Charles to Marc Almond. Despite the urban legends, no study has been able to demonstrate a link between the song and suicide rates.

Wikipedia page.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The whole genre of the Fado in Portugese musical history is surrounded by misery too.

Ediswan

Established Member
Enola Gay (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark). To be more specific, the use of the the tune in advertising, when the lyrics are about one of mankinds lowest points.

Calthrop

Established Member
An old Hungarian folk-song (called "Gloomy Sunday" in English) is often said to be the most depressing song ever written, with various urban legends about it driving people (particularly Hungarians) to suicide. So much so that the original is also known simply as "The Hungarian Suicide Song". Versions have been recorded or performed by a wide range of artists from Billie Holliday to Björk, and Ray Charles to Marc Almond. Despite the urban legends, no study has been able to demonstrate a link between the song and suicide rates.

Wikipedia page.

Wiki tells us that there's a kind of "William the Conqueror's penknife" attribute to this -- not actually all that old -- song: originated as a song about despair caused by war (First World same?); in the 1930s, given new words by a poet, and new music by the pianist and composer Reszo Seress (but it was still the same song? -- maybe Hungarians can do things that other folk can't :s): first appeared in that guise, in 1933.

We are further informed that Reszo Seress in fact committed suicide in early 1968, some 35 years after the song's coming into being. Mind you, his native land had undergone plenty of causes for misery during those 35 years ...)

MotCO

Established Member
No One But You (Only The Good Die Young) is a very good song, but particularly emotive, particularly when viewed with the official video. It seems to refer to the missing of Freddie Mercury, but officially it isn't.

Last edited:

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The Nights by Avicii.

Certainly not a depressing song when he wrote it, but now he's no longer with us, it's incredibly powerful. I can't listen to it for more than a minute without it bringing me to tears.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Drugs Don't Work by The Verve, an absolute gutpunch of a song which I try and avoid like the plague on the radio. Hear those strings and instantly my good mood is gone.
It has the same effect on me, but mostly because it's a droning self-indulgent dirge that's been overplayed so much that it lost any artistic merit it may have once had. Perhaps Ashcroft and his mates would have been in a better mood if they'd tried to write something entirely their own, instead of ripping off either The Rolling Stones or the poet William Blake. Alas Blake's lawyers weren't as on-the-ball as Jagger and Richards'.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
It has the same effect on me, but mostly because it's a droning self-indulgent dirge that's been overplayed so much that it lost any artistic merit it may have once had. Perhaps Ashcroft and his mates would have been in a better mood if they'd tried to write something entirely their own, instead of ripping off either The Rolling Stones or the poet William Blake. Alas Blake's lawyers weren't as on-the-ball as Jagger and Richards'.
Of course, the irony of that song title* is that Ashcroft and company's best work was when they were consuming speed, coke and E's like water in the early 90s. :lol: Verve pre-Urban Hymns is almost a totally different band to the one which wrote The Drugs Don't Work.

*I know it's about his dying father, but the irony is too strong not to comment on.

Last edited:

adc82140

Established Member

“Con Te Partiro/Time to Say Goodbye”…especially if you have heard it played to good effect on a particular BBC Drama.
Drifting slightly off topic here, that episode of Inside No. 9 is an absolutely exquisite piece of television from Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, not to mention Sheridan Smith, but at the same time is utterly devastating. Never do I normally get emotional watching anything, but this had me in pieces.

Back on topic, Stay by Shakespear's Sister, if listened to in the context of its music video.

Tracked

Established Member
The Drugs Don't Work by The Verve, an absolute gutpunch of a song which I try and avoid like the plague on the radio. Hear those strings and instantly my good mood is gone.
Summer 2007, I was driving my parents down to Cornwall with Radio 1 on, and there was this song about HGV's being inoperative that kind of bugged me all the way down. Took several listens to realise it wasn't "The Trucks Don't Work", I was driving at the time so my attention was somewhat elsewhere ... :oops:

TheEdge

Established Member
A few good offers to come, I don't think any have been mentioned yet. Some personal and one just a gutpunch.

Let Her Go by Passenger. This popped up on the radio once when I was driving to Maplins while going through a break up and divorce. By the time I got to the car park I was in floods of tears and had to sit in the car to compose myself.

Fireflies by Owl City. A cheerful upbeat song from the late 00s. It was popular as hell in bars and nightclubs in my first year of university. It always makes me think of uni memories, and those invariably come round to the girl I mentioned above. Sadly my uni memories are absolutely tainted today.

Dry Your Eyes by The Streets. Does this even need expanding on? One guess why it hurts...

And the gutpunch.

No Bravery by James Blunt. A relatively unknown song by him about his experiences is Kosovo. Absolutely brutal lyrics like "Tracer lighting up the sky. It's another families' turn to die" and "Old men kneel to accept their fate. Wives and daughters cut and raped". Watch it with the his accompanying footage from Kosovo and it really is a difficult one. I think it's an absolute masterpiece.

PTR 444

Established Member
Bryan Adams - Everything I Do I Do It For You

Shakespear’s Sister - Stay

The Cranberries - Linger

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Dry Your Eyes by The Streets.

I can never take that one seriously ever since Milton Keynes FM103 Horizon (now sadly subsumed into the junk that is Heart) did a mildly amusing if probably mildly distasteful Christmas skit based on it about MK's chavvier estates and the Nativity (really!)

To add a couple more, if you listen closely to the lyrics, some Levellers songs are quite sad, e.g. Julie (about a woman who lived a sad life alone in a Council tower block) and 61 Minutes of Pleading, a true story about a woman bleeding to death having been shot by her husband, but the Police wouldn't let paramedics enter the house to help her as they thought the gunman was still at large (but he wasn't). There are a few others, one of the things I love about the band are that they don't just sing love songs, but some of the themes can be a bit difficult if you listen closely.

Jimini

Established Member
<snip> Milton Keynes FM103 Horizon (now sadly subsumed into the junk that is Heart) </snip>

That's probably worth a separate thread if it's not been done already. One of many, many instances of local broadcasting replaced by syndicated crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.