• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at East Farleigh station on 21/06/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
I was travelling from Paddock Wood to Maidstone West on the 17:04 departure from PDW. Sitting towards the back of the 1st coach, approaching and at East Farleigh station, there was trouble with a passenger, at the front of the 2nd coach, and one of two on-board staff (the other was at the very front by this point not doing much, having done a full train ticket check). The gangway doors were stuck open so me and some other passengers could hear what was going on:

I didn't catch the buildup, but the member of staff had decided this passenger needed to get off the train. He was clearly making him aware that the train would not leave till he did, the police could be called, he was on camera and the staff member was allowed by law to use minor force to get him off if needed. After 5 minutes at the station he was removed without police assistance and the train ran on with this level of delay.

My first thought is he was a fare dodger, and as I recall that passenger waiting at Paddock Wood station, he should have had a ticket. However as most of the other Medway Valley line stations permit you to buy on board the train, in theory I think he could have got away with claiming to have boarded more recently than when he did, as the inspection did not reach this part of the train till Yalding at least. So my guess is he either refused to buy a ticket, the policy of fares on that branch line has changed, or he was a causing a non-fare related incident. There was no obvious physical assault from the passenger or anyone else.

Does anyone know, based on this description, what he could have done wrong and if the fare's policy may have changed?

On an unrelated note as extra trivia, because East Farleigh station sits across a level crossing (staggered platforms each side), the signal block arrangement meant the traffic had to wait the extra 5 minutes, because the train had already passed the signal to enter the block with the crossing in, exacerbated by the narrow bridge over the river, right next to the crossing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
..Does anyone know, based on this description, what he could have done wrong...
It could have been almost anything.

It is (much) more likely than not that the person either did not hold a ticket or held an invalid ticket. But possibility of the passenger holding a valid ticket, and the staff acting incorrectly, cannot be ruled out of course!

But the fact he was told to leave indicates that he likely had either no means to pay, or was refusing to pay for, whatever fare was deemed appropriate to resolve the matter.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Does anyone know, based on this description, what he could have done wrong and if the fare's policy may have changed?
We weren't there so could not possibly know the detail, and you weren't close enough to know. so this is a fairly daft question to be asking.
On an unrelated note as extra trivia, because East Farleigh station sits across a level crossing (staggered platforms each side), the signal block arrangement meant the traffic had to wait the extra 5 minutes, because the train had already passed the signal to enter the block with the crossing in, exacerbated by the narrow bridge over the river, right next to the crossing.
Road traffic held up? How sad. My heart bleeds.

I honestly don't understand what this post is doing in the Disputes and Prosecutions forum, other than to invite speculation.

brad465

Established Member
We weren't there so could not possibly know the detail, and you weren't close enough to know. so this is a fairly daft question to be asking.

Road traffic held up? How sad. My heart bleeds.

I honestly don't understand what this post is doing in the Disputes and Prosecutions forum, other than to invite speculation.

I said "extra trivia", which might be the wrong term to describe what I was implying, but as I said it was unrelated I wasn't expecting any sympathy towards the road users to be expressed. As for the thread location, I admit I was unsure, while I had no personal time to post it straight after it happened. Unlike you I'm not an "established member" so I'm not an expert. If it has to be moved I accept that :|:arrow:

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Without listing every possible reason a revenue inspector might correctly or incorrectly reject a valid ticket, resulting in a request for a customer to pay which is then met with a refusal/inability to pay, there isn't really much to be discussed in this thread.

As for the most appropriate place... probably trip reports, as it was a report of what happened on your trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.