• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Includes Hovercraft - Or Not?

mangyiscute

Established Member
Thanks, all!

We are taking the Hovercraft on purpose. We'll fill in the form to reserve seats if there's a risk of it being busy.
The couple times I have filled in the form and done the hovercraft, they have never checked what ferry I booked on - although these were fairly quiet times so there was plenty of space.
I see no harm in filling in the form however, there is no obligation to take the ferry you put on there. Ultimately, you'll show up at the ferry terminal, and if there is a long queue there's a chance you'll have to wait for the next ferry, but I would've thought that would be very unlikely, but either way you'll get over to the Island pretty quickly - the hovercraft is really incredible with how fast it goes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

redreni

The couple times I have filled in the form and done the hovercraft, they have never checked what ferry I booked on - although these were fairly quiet times so there was plenty of space.
I see no harm in filling in the form however, there is no obligation to take the ferry you put on there. Ultimately, you'll show up at the ferry terminal, and if there is a long queue there's a chance you'll have to wait for the next ferry, but I would've thought that would be very unlikely, but either way you'll get over to the Island pretty quickly - the hovercraft is really incredible with how fast it goes.
Great, thanks!

Yes, I can see that it would only make sense to worry about reserved places if there were more passengers than seats.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've the hovercraft a couple of times (it's good fun, just a shame its over so quick!) and wasn't even aware there was a form you could fill in!

Hophead

Established Member
I've the hovercraft a couple of times (it's good fun, just a shame its over so quick!) and wasn't even aware there was a form you could fill in!

Similarly: one return trip (pre-Covid). On a warm June afternoon, the nominal half-hourly timetable seemed to have been replaced by a turn-up-and-go service with an extra vessel operating. I seem to remember little more than a cursory scan of the rail ticket.

In addition, I made no use of the bus connection, as that seemed to be timed to connect with the SWR trains to Waterloo so, using Southern's Arun Valley trains, it was as convenient to walk for around 15 minutes to Portsmouth & Southsea.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Technically, passengers using rail tickets on the hovercraft are requested to book in advance for a particular sailing, and at busy times may not be able to board the first service at Southsea or Ryde if there isn't space. That problem doesn't arise on Wightlink.

It technically could (and you can phone them and reserve) but the capacity of that vessel is such that it almost never does.

It can also arise on the "big" ferries via Lymington, as some have a limited foot passenger capacity, which is due to certain things being carried in lorries on board (I never quite understood the basis of it, but there's signage at the port).

Adam Williams

Established Member
There's probably more that retailers could be doing to flag this up to customers, tbh.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It technically could (and you can phone them and reserve) but the capacity of that vessel is such that it almost never does.
I was asked to come back for a later service at Ryde when I travelled on the Hovercraft with a rail ticket having not booked ahead in May 2022. It does happen.

Gloster

Established Member
It can also arise on the "big" ferries via Lymington, as some have a limited foot passenger capacity, which is due to certain things being carried in lorries on board (I never quite understood the basis of it, but there's signage at the port).

This only applies in the silly hours and is because that is when they carry lorries loaded with dangerous chemicals, etc., going to and from the last remnants of the island’s industry. It is in case they have to abandon ship, though whether it is also related to crew numbers I know not. It also applies to Portsmouth-Fishbourne and Southampton-East Cowes.

As the OP (or somebody) mentioned that they were doing a day-trip on Easter Sunday, I will just reiterate that this is one of the times when HoverTravel are most likely to be fully loaded, as will the FastCats be. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This only applies in the silly hours

It doesn't. The ferries I saw listed included a lunchtime one.

I was asked to come back for a later service at Ryde when I travelled on the Hovercraft with a rail ticket having not booked ahead in May 2022. It does happen.

I was referring to the boats. It's more likely to happen on the hovercraft as they are little more than a flying minibus.

DelW

Established Member
I was referring to the boats. It's more likely to happen on the hovercraft as they are little more than a flying minibus.
IIRC the current craft seat around 60-ish. Much smaller than the fastcats, but hardly a minibus either.

hermit

That is unusual. I can only presume it was a one-off, possibly due to a shortage of crew, something that is far from unknown (although Red Funnel seems to suffer more).
Not so - the severe restrictions on passenger numbers, which mean that pre-booking is essential, apply every day to the 0530 Lymington-Yarmouth and the 1100/1105 Yarmouth-Lymington crossings. I presume that what happens is the tanker carrying fuel (or whatever dangerous substance is involved) comes over from the mainland first thing and returns mid-morning when it has completed its deliveries.

I don’t imagine that the 0530 crossing would attract many takers anyway, but the limitation on the mid-morning crossing is a serious constraint on what would be a popular time to travel. Turn-up-and-go foot passengers must often be caught out and have to wait an hour for the next boat. The fact that Wightlink have a very prominent notice at the Yarmouth terminal warning of the restriction suggests they are aware of this likelihood.

AY1975

Established Member
Yes all through tickets to the IOW via Portsmouth include either the Wightlink Fast Cat (Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde Pier Head) or Hovercraft Southsea to Ryde Hoverport. The Hovercraft tickets include the Hoverbus which goes Portsmouth and Southsea > Hoverport > Portsmouth Harbour > Portsmouth and Southsea.
Ryde Hoverport is over a footbridge from Ryde Esplanade Bus Interchange and Rail Station and a short walk from the town centre. If you dont want an inclusive ticket you need to buy a ticket to Portsmouth Stations and rebook at the appropriate terminal.
Slightly off topic, I know, and maybe this warrants a separate thread, but am I right in thinking that a through ticket from any rail station on the mainland to Ryde via the Wightlink FastCat includes the Island Line train from Ryde Pier Head to Ryde Esplanade or St John's Road?

And if you have a separate ticket for the FastCat, does that also include Island Line to or from Ryde Esplanade or St John's Road? Or are you expected to buy a separate ticket from Ryde Pier Head to one of the other two Ryde stations or walk across the pier in that case?

Haywain

Veteran Member
am I right in thinking that a through ticket from any rail station on the mainland to Ryde via the Wightlink FastCat includes the Island Line train from Ryde Pier Head to Ryde Esplanade or St John's Road?
If a ticket is issued to Ryde Esplanade it includes that train to that station, if you want to go to Ryde St John's Road you will need a ticket issued to that station.
And if you have a separate ticket for the FastCat, does that also include Island Line to or from Ryde Esplanade or St John's Road?
No.

Gloster

Established Member
Slightly off topic, I know, and maybe this warrants a separate thread, but am I right in thinking that a through ticket from any rail station on the mainland to Ryde via the Wightlink FastCat includes the Island Line train from Ryde Pier Head to Ryde Esplanade or St John's Road?

And if you have a separate ticket for the FastCat, does that also include Island Line to or from Ryde Esplanade or St John's Road? Or are you expected to buy a separate ticket from Ryde Pier Head to one of the other two Ryde stations or walk across the pier in that case?

I think you have to specify which island station you are going to: a ticket to from (say) Forsinard to Pier Head does not include the train along the pier, but one to any other island station does.

If you have a separate Portsmouth-Ryde FastCat ticket, that is it: you have to pay for any journey on the Islandline, even just Pier Head-Esplanade. There may be through ticketing, but they are separate companies.

hermit

Worth mentioning that there is no facility for buying Island Line tickets at Pierhead; even if there were, connections are usually so tight that there would not be time to use it. You get on the train and wait for the guard to reach you.

SAPhil

Just to add that tickets via the hovercraft are not valid via Wightlink, nor vice versa. I have had visitors who were wrongly advised by railway staff that they are interchangeable. (Though if hovercraft services are cancelled - they are more vulnerable to bad weather than the Wightlink ferries - arrangements are made for their tickets to be accepted by Wightlink).
Not when it happened to me! I had to buy a separate ticket and so claimed back for the hovercraft part of the trip.