• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Increased RPIs on the marlow branch ?

Jamiescott1

The past 2 days theres been an RPI (not a guard) on the early morning services from Bourne end and yesterday there was a large revenue block (with security) at marlow Station

This is highly unusual, is the marlow branch a hot spot for fare evasion?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
The past 2 days theres been an RPI (not a guard) on the early morning services from Bourne end and yesterday there was a large revenue block (with security) at marlow Station

I think it's been noted here that Furze Platt is now the closed station to Paddington without some form of ticket check: so it would be a popular place for fare dodgers to claim to have started their journey.

If that's the case, then I can imagine the RPIs being relevant for a mainline exercise:
Passenger without ticket: I got on at Furze Platt and couldn't buy a ticket: single to Paddington please.

RPI: That's odd, because my colleagues have been on all the trains from Furze Platt today and they would have sold you a ticket. Details for further action please...

Although this wouldn't explain a blockade at Marlow.

MarlowDonkey

Perhaps they are trying to make the point that Marlow now has both a contactless reader and ticket machine, so it's no longer necessary to wait for the Guard to come round to buy a ticket.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think it's been noted here that Furze Platt is now the closed station to Paddington without some form of ticket check: so it would be a popular place for fare dodgers to claim to have started their journey.
What about Drayton Green, Castle Bar Park and South Greenford?

I agree that Furze Platt comes next, although I don't recall automatic barriers at Windsor & Eton Central or room for them.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
What about Drayton Green, Castle Bar Park and South Greenford?

I agree that Furze Platt comes next, although I don't recall automatic barriers at Windsor & Eton Central or room for them.
I hadn't thought about Drayton Green etc. I suppose that Furze Platt would appeal to fare dodgers from beyond Maidenhead? And passengers purporting to have started from Drayton Green etc. would presumably be expected to board Elizabeth Line trains at West Ealing rather than something from further out.

It's a long time since I've been to Windsor and Eton Central (although not so long that I do know that most of the station building is now a shopping centre with the actual station pushed out to the far end) so I must defer to your greater knowledge: I know that it used to routinely have a staffed barrier, but that's before the days of automatic barriers so I have no idea what happens now.

rob.rjt

It's a long time since I've been to Windsor and Eton Central (although not so long that I do know that most of the station building is now a shopping centre with the actual station pushed out to the far end) so I must defer to your greater knowledge: I know that it used to routinely have a staffed barrier, but that's before the days of automatic barriers so I have no idea what happens now.
My other half commutes to and from Windsor and Eton Central, and there are no automatic barriers, just gates in the fence at the buffer end and half way down the platform which are open pretty much all the time. Other than very occasional revenue blocks, along with less infrequent RPI teams on the train, it is effectively unbarriered. The only member of staff is in the ticket office, which has no view of the platform.

Jamiescott1

Another revenue block at marlow tonight.

The lady in front of me said she was unable to buy a ticket because the ticket machine at bourne end was out of order. I kindly confirmed with the rpi that it was in working order, im not sure the ticket less lady was pleased.

On a side, Marlow has no penalty fare notice and bourne ends penalty fare notice is in the ticket office building which is closed from 1235 daily

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
On a side, Marlow has no penalty fare notice and bourne ends penalty fare notice is in the ticket office building which is closed from 1235 daily
Every entrance to a station must have at least one "readily visible" Penalty Fare warning notice, otherwise Penalty Fares can't lawfully be issued. Of course, that doesn't stop companies from breaching the Regulations on a daily basis - as you presumably witnessed.

Jamiescott1

Every entrance to a station must have at least one "readily visible" Penalty Fare warning notice, otherwise Penalty Fares can't lawfully be issued. Of course, that doesn't stop companies from breaching the Regulations on a daily basis - as you presumably witnessed.
Witnessed lots of times when rpi's are on the marlow branch.

Updated: Saturday 18th: Today there's rpi's on the train and they told the guard that they'd be on the branch line all day going back and forth

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Nor does it stop TOCs from reporting passengers for prosecution.

Jamiescott1

No rpi activity yesterday or today. I assume the increased rpi activity from thursday was for the pub in the park festival that was held in Marlow