• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inspector Sands at London Bridge Tuesday 16th November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Jehosofat

I seem to remember in the 80s at Charing Cross and London Bridge we'd put an announcement out for Mr Powries representative whenever we wanted the BTP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clarence Yard

Established Member
When I joined the railway at the beginning of the 90s I was told that Inspector Sands was a secret codeword known only to railway staff and was used so that passengers wouldn't be panicked by the announcement, I actually wonder now how many rail users are not aware of its use, the only surprising thing for me is that the aged Inspector hasn't been pensioned off and replaced by a much lower and cheaper rank

Which was soon sussed by the regular travellers, especially when it was immediately followed by a station evacuation for a fire alarm.

At Euston an “Inspector Sands” announcement in the evening peak would be quickly followed by suburban punters moving swiftly to their platform because, at one time, it was usual practise to allow trains that were shortly due to leave to depart whilst the concourse was being or had been evacuated.

kristiang85

Established Member
I've heard it at least three times at Waterloo over the past 2-3 years, but seemingly only drills or nothing of consequence.

The problem is it was an annoucement in code so as not to alarm the public, but now most seem to know about it, it seems a bit redundant.

Lloyds siding

Most businesses and venues open to the public have similar code words. I worked in a museum where 'Mr XXX to the main desk' was our cue to lock exhibits away and take up positions next to the stairs for an evacuation.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Euston uses this term, however Birmingham New St uses Staff Call 100/200 due to it being part of the shopping centre (very common for staff call in shopping centres from my experience).

Both systems use a tic-toc approach, thankfully, so that if 1 alarm is activated (tic) a warning message is played to the relevant part(s) of the building. The full alarm won't activate until a secondary alarm is activated (toc), usually smoke detector or further alarm point, which thankfully stops full blown evacuations for pranks or wrongful alarm activation.

It's surprisingly a useful way to deal with possible alarms without alarming the public as they tend to filter it out as it means nothing to them whereas staff should hear it and be on alert.

Egg Centric

The problem is it was an annoucement in code so as not to alarm the public, but now most seem to know about it, it seems a bit redundant.

The problem is not the public knowing about it, but the panicky ill informed ones. So long as they don't know (and they still don't, because they're ill informed) then it's gravy.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
This last Saturday I was travelling through London from Euston to Paddington. Euston Underground was closed to entry for some reason or another (I think given as passenger illness) but when Inspector Sands was being summoned as my H&C train went through Great Portland Street I did begin to worry that something much bigger might be going on.

Which it wasn't. So I guess I fall into the category of people who would do better not knowing what Inspector Sands means.

flitwickbeds

All part of a multiple stage alarm system - sometimes an immediate and unexpected alarm sound or evacuation message without the appropriate staff readiness can make the situation worse, ie clogged fire escapes.

I work inside studios at a major broadcaster and we are second to know when an alarm has been activated. The first people are the operation managers and security teams, who get 20 seconds warning that a break point or smoke head has been broken/triggered. After 20 seconds, orange lights flash in all the studios to tell the teams making live programmes to prepare for a potential evacuation. If, after a further 90 seconds, the security/operations team haven't cancelled the initial alarm (having confirmed there is no emergency), the red lights start flashing in the studios, and audible alarms everywhere else in the building. 10 seconds later, audible alarms sound in the studios (10 seconds to allow the presenters to stop talking).

If at any point during these 2 minutes a second break point or smoke head activates, it progresses immediately to the red/evacuate stage, bypassing the initial 20 seconds or the yellow stage.

A (false) alarm was activated during yesterday's Radio 4 Today programme yesterday, which incorrectly progressed to the red stage automatically due to a system fault. If you'd like to hear two experienced presenters go completely against BBC policy on evacuations, and against all fire expert advice, feel free to listen back on BBC Sounds!

Jimini

Established Member
All part of a multiple stage alarm system - sometimes an immediate and unexpected alarm sound or evacuation message without the appropriate staff readiness can make the situation worse, ie clogged fire escapes.

I work inside studios at a major broadcaster and we are second to know when an alarm has been activated. The first people are the operation managers and security teams, who get 20 seconds warning that a break point or smoke head has been broken/triggered. After 20 seconds, orange lights flash in all the studios to tell the teams making live programmes to prepare for a potential evacuation. If, after a further 90 seconds, the security/operations team haven't cancelled the initial alarm (having confirmed there is no emergency), the red lights start flashing in the studios, and audible alarms everywhere else in the building. 10 seconds later, audible alarms sound in the studios (10 seconds to allow the presenters to stop talking).

If at any point during these 2 minutes a second break point or smoke head activates, it progresses immediately to the red/evacuate stage, bypassing the initial 20 seconds or the yellow stage.

A (false) alarm was activated during yesterday's Radio 4 Today programme yesterday, which incorrectly progressed to the red stage automatically due to a system fault. If you'd like to hear two experienced presenters go completely against BBC policy on evacuations, and against all fire expert advice, feel free to listen back on BBC Sounds!

Fascinating; thanks for sharing!

Established Member
It certainly used to be something like that. Might have been “superintendent of the line”.

Given all the klaxon type noises that invariably accompany these announcements it seems a bit pointless using code names!
It was "Superintendent of the line" in 2018, but with the same klaxon used in other stations.

XAM2175

Established Member
Well done them :{

rob365

So Network Rail managed stations all follow the same staging for alarm activations. At Stage 1, you'll hear the 'Would Inspector Sand please report to XX' (Station Control Room, Operations Room, etc). After whatever period of time that the fire strategy for the building allows the investigation period to be, if the alarm is not reset, the system will move to Stage 2, and you'll hear 'This is an emergency. Please leave the station immediately'.

Simple stuff!

All stations have set times for weekly tests, some, such as KGX, display a notice on a board on the day of the test to say it'll be taking place at whatever time. 99% of the time when the system goes into alert outside of that it's either a malicious activation where somebody has pressed a call point, it's user error in not resetting the panel in the alloted time when undertaking a test in a retailer or some other area, or it's because somebody (more often than not a retailer) has burnt something in the kitchen!

I've heard it several times at Waterloo. I know people can be unobservant, but *nobody* notices someone being summoned by a voice straight out of RADA! The last time I heard it, a few weeks ago, it was announced first that there would be a test of the alarm system. I suppose this is because it went as far as an alarm sounding. I don't think there's much need to be coy about the name, security by obscurity doesn't generally work and it can be changed if necessary. I heard him being called once at King's Cross St Pancras. A bit chilling, you can imagine that I got out immediately.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
It's because somebody (more often than not a retailer) has burnt something in the kitchen!
I seem to recall a year or two ago London Euston Station being evacuated, owing to a small fire caused by staff accidentally setting a microwave to cook a mince pie for x amount of minutes instead of x amount of seconds. :o

warwickshire

On Moderation
Inspector sands tonight on the circle line around 2100pm at London kings cross was being called to urgently attend the control room.

High Dyke

Established Member
I think Cardiff Central's is "will the inspector of the line please come to the carriage depot"
It's a good job the message at King's Cross isn't 'would the inspector report to the Parcel Yard'. That's the name of the station pub, if you weren't aware.
Just having an alarm sounding may have little value as not everyone would be able to recognise a local fire alarm. A fire alarm going off in a building may cause panic because after the initial hesitation some may decide its real so get the hell out of there.
Indeed. A few years ago I was staying in a hotel in Manchester. The fire alarm began sounding intermittently one morning, but then became a full on alarm. The wife and I made our way to the assembly point where the staff made a note of our room number (to account for us). However, many people just ignored the alarm or, if they did respond, stood complaining about being woken up by the noise. The incident was a false alarm, someone had taken a shower and the vapour had activated the alarm system.

On the subject of coded messages. I do football stadium announcing. The code we use is "Mr Trent report to XXX". The fire alarm system also provides a recorded message for evacuations, but the control panel does allow suppression of that until the incident has been investigated.

BayPaul

Established Member
Indeed. A few years ago I was staying in a hotel in Manchester. The fire alarm began sounding intermittently one morning, but then became a full on alarm. The wife and I made our way to the assembly point where the staff made a note of our room number (to account for us). However, many people just ignored the alarm or, if they did respond, stood complaining about being woken up by the noise. The incident was a false alarm, someone had taken a shower and the vapour had activated the alarm system.
I like fire alarm systems that include a pre-recorded "This is a fire alarm, leave the building immediately" type message built in to the alarm - it is difficult to ignore or misunderstand it.

Berliner

Inspector Sands was being called for at Waverley station on Wednesday night. He must have gone a bit deaf as the announcement was absolutely blaring (to the point where I could hardly hear my mate standing right next to me) and it went off in a loop for at least 10 minutes.

redengine

It certainly used to be something like that. Might have been “superintendent of the line”.

Given all the klaxon type noises that invariably accompany these announcements it seems a bit pointless using code names!
I think the wording is "would the Superintendent of the Line please return to the carriage depot?" There are a couple of other things that make it a dead giveaway: it's not preceded by a Welsh version, and it's in a very RP voice (proper "This is London" BBC announcer back in the day stuff). Probably dates from whenever there last was a Superintendent of the Line on the Western -- 1948?

warwickshire

On Moderation
Inspector sands has just been called to reading station at 1215pm.
Platform 8 and 9.
Today the 16th December 2021. Thursday whilst visiting a friend in twyford after catching a train from goring and Streetly. For the 365 scrap move.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I think the wording is "would the Superintendent of the Line please return to the carriage depot?" There are a couple of other things that make it a dead giveaway: it's not preceded by a Welsh version, and it's in a very RP voice (proper "This is London" BBC announcer back in the day stuff). Probably dates from whenever there last was a Superintendent of the Line on the Western -- 1948?
Exactly right! A chap on YouTube uploaded a high quality recording of the announcement this month (warning, loud!):

silverfoxcc

Unlucky for some. . .

Incidentally, when did we stop 'dying' and start 'passing away'? I say it myself, must be a modern thing.
Contrex
i have to agree.. passed away, he/they passed 'i lost my xxxxx Unfortunately i have to bite my tongue when i hear those and desperately want to say What did he pass? a pub, parked car, a forged note...... and for the lost one That was careless of you...have you told the police.... as you say ,He / They died.. nothing wrong in it

zwk500

Veteran Member
Contrex
i have to agree.. passed away, he/they passed 'i lost my xxxxx Unfortunately i have to bite my tongue when i hear those and desperately want to say What did he pass? a pub, parked car, a forged note...... and for the lost one That was careless of you...have you told the police.... as you say ,He / They died.. nothing wrong in it
I think it's fair enough to use a softer tone on a sensitive subject, especially if discussing it with somebody for whom the grief may well still be very painful. Many deaths do leave a profound sense of loss in those who are still grieving, and those who believe in something after the earthly life are often comforted by the idea of 'passing away' into whatever may be waiting for us.

It's nothing new, Monty Python may have coined 'pining for the fjords' but the sketch itself lists quite a few others that were around in 1969.

Craig1122

I first heard about Inspector Sands years ago from a friend who worked for ABC cinemas. No idea what the origin is but evidently not just a railway phrase.

mark-h

"Mr Sands" is a standard theatre term- I think its name comes the use of sand buckets for extinguishing fires.

aar0

"Mr Sands" is a standard theatre term- I think its name comes the use of sand buckets for extinguishing fires.
I’ve just read the whole thread ready to say this! Yes, very common in theatres (so common I imagine there’s a central recommendation from a union or other organisation for best practice).

Currently I work at a university and there’s no pre-alarm, although last time we had to evacuate a building for real security walked through and verbally told people to prepare for the alarm to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.