• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Install Windows Updates, Immediately!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
On May 5, 2006, InformationWeek reported that "Microsoft is piloting an opt-in notification service for its Windows Genuine Advantage online verification program., which may make it mandatory for users to get Automatic Update or Windows Update Rights," in its article titled, "Microsoft: Users May Have To Prove Legal Windows Use." Microsoft's KB905474 WGA Notification update was presented to users in April, 2006. It nags users to get legitimate if their Windows is detected as not being genuine. This notification module is installed automatically along with other Automatic Updates if the setting to always install updates is chosen- the opt-in process is no more or less extensive than that for other automatic updates.
Another reason not to update then ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

Mojo said:
Luckily I've been checking what I've been installing and so far have managed to avoid installing the un-uninstallable Genuine Advantage on my home PC.

Yep, me to. Quite easy to spot, and if I'm un-sure about one, I just Google it :thefinge:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
On May 5, 2006, InformationWeek reported that "Microsoft is piloting an opt-in notification service for its Windows Genuine Advantage online verification program., which may make it mandatory for users to get Automatic Update or Windows Update Rights," in its article titled, "Microsoft: Users May Have To Prove Legal Windows Use." Microsoft's KB905474 WGA Notification update was presented to users in April, 2006. It nags users to get legitimate if their Windows is detected as not being genuine. This notification module is installed automatically along with other Automatic Updates if the setting to always install updates is chosen- the opt-in process is no more or less extensive than that for other automatic updates.

Not bragging that my windows isn't legal or anything (so don't start telling me off etc. etc.) but it hasn't detected mine...... mine is a copy of a copy of a copy of windows xp corporate....
Microsoft really do suck if they can't detect that tbh!

The answer to all of this though..... buy a mac!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
HSTfan!!! said:
The answer to all of this though..... buy a mac!
Why? That's still a proprietary system - in fact, worse, the hardware is too.

Gareth Hale

yorkie said:
Why? That's still a proprietary system - in fact, worse, the hardware is too.

I agree with you, why would you buy something with hardly any support, its like buying Windows 95!

Established Member
Better then keep getting Windows updates and all that bull**** that comes from Micro****. Get a APPLE MAC. no worries. Had mine for 3 years now and its only closed down on me once. Unlike you lot that have a PC where it crashes nearly every other day;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

keithy

devon_metro

Established Member
At least Windows 95 won't get viruses!

Think of 3.0! (if you get the 'nternet working) you will get none also!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
313103 said:
Better then keep getting Windows updates and all that bull**** that comes from Micro****. Get a APPLE MAC. no worries. Had mine for 3 years now and its only closed down on me once. Unlike you lot that have a PC where it crashes nearly every other day;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

keithy
But this seems to be assuming that PC = Windows, but that's not necessarily the case.

I don't think my PC has ever crashed due to a hardware fault, because I no longer bother with cheap hardware (I learnt that lesson the hard way ;)).

Windows itself rarely crashes on me, and on the rare occasions that Windows crashes it tends to be due to unsigned device drivers.

But yes, admittedly Windows isn't the best OS when it comes to stability, Linux is probably a better bet.

At least with a PC, you can specify exactly which components you want right down to the motherboard, and ensure that they are of good quality. You are then free to choose any operating system you wish.

devon_metro

Established Member
Linux is great. Windows dislikes my drivers and frequently 'dies' just when i'm doing something important. typical

Gareth Hale

313103 said:

keithy

The last time this PC crashed was my fault last week, but general cause was September 2005!

Nick W

Established Member
yorkie said:
I don't think my PC has ever crashed due to a hardware fault, because I no longer bother with cheap hardware (I learnt that lesson the hard way ;)).
Macs contain decent hardware, hence the little bit more expensive than Dells.

Windows itself rarely crashes on me, and on the rare occasions that Windows crashes it tends to be due to unsigned device drivers.
Apple kindly provide decent drivers that never cause problems

But yes, admittedly Windows isn't the best OS when it comes to stability, Linux is probably a better bet.
Anything with a unix-based kernel turns be stable. The unix system on my computer is extremely robust, even if some things like Finder and Dock can stop responding.

At least with a PC, you can specify exactly which components you want right down to the motherboard, and ensure that they are of good quality. You are then free to choose any operating system you wish.
The problem is that you get a computer system like the privatised railway system. At least when you buy a Mac, you know the hardware, although manufactured by different companies, will get along well.

If I wanted to I could install Linux or BSD. MS don't support PPC though. The newer macs like my sisters with core duo and zeon processors are supported by MS, so you could install or visualise windows if you must (simsig etc).

I take it you buy a washing machine drum from one company, heater element from another, pump from another, case from another, make sure they are high quality and then install your chosen wash system on it?

H

HR2

At the end of the day it comes down to the fact that basically windows was originally a rushed job and therefore full of bugs and rubbish. They've had 15 years + and several versions to sort it all out and yet still they have not got it right. If they have not sorted it after all that time they never will. Take this new Bisto thing. Same thing, diffrerent overcoat. You can buy hardware at £500 a pop but it still won't improve a crappy OS.

Linux is a far better bet. My local PC shop man says that MAC's will win hands down over PC's anyday.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nick W said:
The problem is that you get a computer system like the privatised railway system. At least when you buy a Mac, you know the hardware, although manufactured by different companies, will get along well.
Actually the components WILL get along well if you invest in decent ones. The idea that you have (and it's just that - an idea - which happens to be wrong) that proprietary systems are better for this reason is nonsense.
Nick W said:
If I wanted to I could install Linux or BSD. MS don't support PPC though. The newer macs like my sisters with core duo and zeon processors are supported by MS, so you could install or visualise windows if you must (simsig etc).

I take it you buy a washing machine drum from one company, heater element from another, pump from another, case from another, make sure they are high quality and then install your chosen wash system on it?
Isn't that what washing machine companies do? And in the case of PCs you don't need a company to put it all together for you, you can do it yourself providing you have enough knowledge to do so.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
still at the end of the day - i'm sick to death with the standard pc... If I was to buy a new computer tomorow I'd have a mac easily... I wish I had done that last time.
The problem with linux is its rather complicated to get the hang of... I haven't quite cracked installation of drivers and programs.

H

HR2

HSTfan!!! said:
The problem with linux is its rather complicated to get the hang of... I haven't quite cracked installation of drivers and programs.

I'd agree with that. If Torvalds could take 3 months and make Linux as simple to operate as windows he'd be on a 100% winner. I find Linux very good but too 'techiie' for a tottering old turkey like me to understand.. If Linux had the 'Download, one-click-install' of windows it'would be a beast. At the moment it is too command line orientated.

Nick W

Established Member
HR2 said:
I'd agree with that. If Torvalds could take 3 months and make Linux as simple to operate as windows he'd be on a 100% winner. I find Linux very good but too 'techiie' for a tottering old turkey like me to understand.. If Linux had the 'Download, one-click-install' of windows it'would be a beast. At the moment it is too command line orientated.

Trouble is linux is only kernel. There ae so many flavours that it's difficult to make a program work on any linux.

LondonBVE

Window Updates, now i know why the moment i came back after a 1 week holiday and connect to the net. The liveupdate kept updating non-stop, poor me must restart and restart. Just a little out of topic can Mac com creates .pdf files without buying from Adobe?

Tom B

Established Member
LondonBVE said:
Window Updates, now i know why the moment i came back after a 1 week holiday and connect to the net. The liveupdate kept updating non-stop, poor me must restart and restart. Just a little out of topic can Mac com creates .pdf files without buying from Adobe?

Windows computers can create .pdf files without buying from Adobe! File > Export as PDF in Office.

Guinness

Established Member
Tom B said:
Windows computers can create .pdf files without buying from Adobe! File > Export as PDF in Office.

PDF999 (Name?) is a good program that I used to use a lot before I-NR was closed.

I export occasionally using Openoffice.org especially with Spreadsheets. :)

Craig

Established Member
I use OpenOffice at home which is pretty good.

At work I use DeskPDF. You have to pay for that one though (it's cheaper than Adobe), but as I don't pay the bills I don't care :p

Nick W

Established Member
LondonBVE said:

From wikipedia:
PDF was selected as the "native" metafile format for Mac OS X, replacing the PICT format of the earlier Mac OS. The imaging model of the Quartz graphics layer of Mac OS X is based on the model common to Display PostScript and PDF, and is sometimes somewhat confusingly referred to as Display PDF. Due to OS support, all OS X applications can create PDF documents automatically as long as they support the "print" command.

Yes and you can also choose for screenshots to be saved as pdf.

Status
Not open for further replies.