• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inter-City History: Getting to London in time for the 10.00 am business meeting - or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
Expanding on the 'Master Cutler' thread, I'm opening-up the discussion to cover the 'business expresses' into London from provincial cities and major industrial centres and their development on the various main routes. Who would like to kick-off?....choose your route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
From Manchester (Piccadilly) to London (Euston), the business meetings in the City of London would invariably have an 8.30 a.m. start (rather than 10.00 a.m.) so rather than get the early morning Southbound departure from Piccadilly, leaving at or just after 5.00 a.m., the alternative option was to travel down the evening before and stay in a hotel overnight (and this still usually worked out cheaper!)

Unfortunately, the 7.00 a.m. "express" service (pick up at Stockport only) didn't arrive into London early enough.

Gloster

Established Member
I can remember that in the late 1960s my father had a period when he had to go Liverpool almost weekly. I think he used to get the Pullman in both directions, which he was able to catch with an early start from suburban Surrey. Oddly, I can remember being impressed that they had a full breakfast on the way out and dinner on the way back. Being civil engineers, lunch was probably a sandwich and a mug of tea while they discussed something: no ‘Bristol lunches’ for them.

I think that until the motorway network and internal aviation developed in the 1970s, meetings were either timed to start late to allow people to come in on business trains, or they caught the sleeper. Many of the generation who were now senior enough to attend meetings had been in the forces and were used to roughing it, going short of sleep for a day or two, etc.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Here are some of the earlier posts - most relevant - from the MasterCutler thread here

The 1958 Master Cutler to Kings Cross, with its 10.5am arrival, was a very radical concept at the time, hence the radical promotion described here:

The Master Cutler was the first daytime long distance arrival at Kings Cross. In contrast, the West Riding, which was the predecessor of the Leeds and Bradford Executives, arrived at 11.2 am. This was one of the first trains to benefit from Deltic haulage, starting in September 1961. The train started to run non-stop from Wakefield arriving Kings Cross at 10.30 am.

The Master Cutler was also the pioneer of lightweight fast business trains. The Leeds and Bradford portions of the West Riding waited until 1966 to be split into the 2 lightweight trains that later became the Leeds and Bradford Executives. Then the Leeds train started at 0725 and ran non-stop, following the Master Cutler from Retford.

KX arrivals between 0800 and 1200, starting from places >100 miles away from London in May 1961; all seven of 'em:

0955 Grantham (Restaurant)
1015 Sheff Vic (Pullman) "The Master Cutler"
1048 Grimsby (Buffet)
1100 Grantham (No catering)
1115 Bradford & Leeds (Restaurant) "The West Riding"
1144 York (Buffet)
1154 Bradford & Leeds (Restaurant)

It's a good point. Bristol is obviously nearer London, and well within range of day return trips, but in the 1950s the two prestige trains, the "Bristolian" and the "Merchant Venturer" both departed in the afternoon. The 07.45 in the morning arrived at 10.00, but with only two stops, at Bath and Chippenham, took fully 30 minutes longer than the nonstop Bristolian, and even so was probably far more of a challenge for the Castle crew. Experience was it was a notably heavy and long train, far more deserving of the one day train on the line scheduled for King haulage than the lightweight latter. I recall that morning train being packed just from Bristol, with several hundred passengers crowding the Up Main platform. What chance getting a seat at Chippenham?

The "Cutler" probably alerted someone at BR HQ, within a year or so the Blue Pullmans had been brought into service, with business time runs from Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff - and Bristol. Of course, their key problem then was what to do with them in the middle of the day.

As a comparison to KX, these are the comparative Padd arrivals, using the same criteria:

0935 Wolves (Pullman) "The Birmingham Pullman"
0935 Bristol (Pullman) "The Bristol Pullman"
1007 WSM (Restaurant)
1010 Wolves (Restaurant)
1012 Hereford (Restaurant)
1030 Cheltenham (Miniature buffet)
1035 Cheltenham (Restaurant) "Cheltenham Spa Express"
1040 [WFO] Fishguard (Restaurant)
1055 Swansea (Restaurant) "Capitals United Express"
1108 WSM (Restaurant)
1110 Shrewsbury (Restaurant)
1115 Frome (No catering)
1125 Hereford & Kidderminster (Restaurant) "The Cathedrals Express"
1145 Fishguard [TThO] / Cardiff (MWFO]
1150 Swansea (Restaurant)

I was thinking we'd veered a little off-piste. Actually, I did start researching that very thing a few years ago, but got side-tracked into delving into the LMS Midland Division for 1945 instead...

And here's St Pancras - I've included Leicester, even though it's just less than 100 miles (99) from London:

0915 Edinburgh [via Nottm & Melton line] (No catering)
0926 Nottm [via L'ter) (Restaurant)
0955 L'ter (No catering)
1021 Sheff Mid [via Derby & L'ter] (Restaurant)
1030 Nottm [via Melton line] (Restaurant) "The Robin Hood"
1100 Man Cent [via Chadd Sdgs] (Pullman) "The Midland Pullman"

1110 Nottm [via Melton line] (No catering)
1124 Man Cent [via Derby & L'ter] (Buffet)
1145 Sheff Mid [via Erewash Valley & L'ter] (No catering)

Those in bold would've been the main morning business trains.

Andy R. A.

From Manchester (Piccadilly) to London (Euston), the business meetings in the City of London would invariably have an 8.30 a.m. start (rather than 10.00 a.m.) so rather than get the early morning Southbound departure from Piccadilly, leaving at or just after 5.00 a.m., the alternative option was to travel down the evening before and stay in a hotel overnight (and this still usually worked out cheaper!)

Unfortunately, the 7.00 a.m. "express" service (pick up at Stockport only) didn't arrive into London early enough.
Of course, at one time you could get the Overnight Sleeper from Manchester, or Liverpool, not having to vacate your berth until between 0700-0730 at Euston.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Of course, at one time you could get the Overnight Sleeper from Manchester, or Liverpool, not having to vacate your berth until between 0700-0730 at Euston.
I'm not that old! By the way, when did the Manchester-Euston sleeper trains finally get binned off? Mid 1980s? Early 1990s at the very latest?

Andy R. A.

I'm not that old! By the way, when did the Manchester-Euston sleeper trains finally get binned off? Mid 1980s? Early 1990s at the very latest?
I have a feeling that they ended at the end of the 1980s ? But then I had left Euston in 1979. (Yes, I am that old, good old nostalgia and history!) At that time the first daytime service from Manchester was 1A10 the 0700, which was booked into Euston at 0934.

Magdalia

Established Member
Also Leeds and Newcastle/Darlington via the coast at Kings Cross. Both of these finished in 1983. They survived the Deltic era but were done by HSTs.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Another important post that needed to be imported into this thread is this, from @Magdalia.

In this, he posits that, as of Sept 1958, it was the prototype of the fast, early morning up-express targeting business leaders-executives needing to be in London in good time for a meeting.

"The Master Cutler was originally a Great Central train running from/to Sheffield Victoria to/from Marylebone.

It ran as a Pullman only service between Sheffield Victoria and Kings Cross from September 1958 until October 1965. At first it was a flagship service of the Modernisation Plan, hauled by a Hornsey/Finsbury Park EE Type 4 until September 1961. ..."

@Taunton also stressed that Gerrard Fiennes, ER General Manager at the time, supported a special marketing campaign for the Master Cutler at the time of it's launch into KX.

"Gerry Fiennes was involved in the Pullman relaunch of the Master Cutler, and describes it in one of his books. There was a considerable effort made by the commercial department to promote it, which I bet he galvanised himself. One of his initiatives was the personal secretaries (all women in those times) of the chairmen (all men, likewise) of the many mainstream Sheffield steel companies were all invited on a pre-launch trip on it, co-ordinated by Fiennes' own long serving secretary. But when shortly after the launch and all the advertising expense they asked passengers how they knew of it, the majority replied 'a friend told me'."

The question for this thread, moving beyond the narrow confines of the Cutler, is how much of a prototype was this flagship train at the time, and what did the ER and other regions do to emulate and out-do it?

Andy R. A.

Also Leeds and Newcastle/Darlington via the coast at Kings Cross. Both of these finished in 1983. They survived the Deltic era but were done by HSTs.
Yes, remember them well. 1979-81 I was working at Finsbury Park station, and on nights at this time of the year, I would often get some air before things got going at 0515, sit on one of the platform benches outside the office, and watch the southbound services passing through.

Magdalia

Established Member
the business meetings in the City of London would invariably have an 8.30 a.m. start (rather than 10.00 a.m.)
Not back then they wouldn't! The City of London prior to "Big Bang" (the Financial Services Act 1986) was a very leisurely and gentlemanly affair. They would definitely not have started at 8.30 am, how uncivilised. 9-10 am would have been for dealing with the post. Think of Reggie dictating letters at Sunshine Desserts.

Magdalia

Established Member
The question for this thread, moving beyond the narrow confines of the Cutler, is how much of a prototype was this flagship train at the time, and what did the ER and other regions do to emulate and out-do it?
The Bristol, Birmingham and Manchester Blue Pullmans do seem to follow a similar model. Does anyone know when the Blue Pullman trains were ordered?

The LNW lines were out of the frame for most of this period because of West Coast Main Line electrification. There the key question is what was provided in the first all electric timetable.

It does seem odd to me that the ER, having pioneered the Master Cutler, took until 1966 to split the West Riding into separate lightweight Leeds and Bradford trains.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
@Western Sunset wrote, about the 1961 timetable:

As a comparison to KX, these are the comparative Padd arrivals, using the same criteria:

1007 WSM (Restaurant)
1010 Wolves (Restaurant)
1012 Hereford (Restaurant)
1030 Cheltenham (Miniature buffet)
1035 Cheltenham (Restaurant) "Cheltenham Spa Express"
1040 [WFO] Fishguard (Restaurant)
1055 Swansea (Restaurant) "Capitals United Express"
1108 WSM (Restaurant)
1110 Shrewsbury (Restaurant)
1115 Frome (No catering)
1125 Hereford & Kidderminster (Restaurant) "The Cathedrals Express"
1145 Fishguard [TThO] / Cardiff (MWFO]
1150 Swansea (Restaurant)

QNS: Were there two 09.35 arrivals, or is that a slip of the keyboard?
Interestingly, these are both (almost?) good enough for a 10.00 am meeting in the City - fine for one in Praed Street!

Did the Birmingham Pullman overtake the 10.10 arrival en route?

And, presumably, the 10.40 from Fishguard used the Swansea District line, so the 10.55 arrival would have been the first of the day from Swansea. Must have been quite an early starter back in the day!

Intriguing, that 11.15 ex Frome - also illustrates that no arrivals were available before noon from Exeter or beyond - was it a case of "Use the sleeper or else you can even forget a luncheon meeting" in the City?

Magdalia

Established Member
QNS: Were there two 09.35 arrivals, or is that a slip of the keyboard?
Interestingly, these are both (almost?) good enough for a 10.00 am meeting in the City - fine for one in Praed Street!

Did the Birmingham Pullman overtake the 10.10 arrival en route?
The Birmingham Pullman only joined the main line at Old Oak having come via High Wycombe. Possibly it ran on the relief line from Old Oak?

The Blue Pullman overtook the other Wolverhampton train at Snow Hill.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Re-Pullmans arriving at Padd, there are photos around showing simultaneous arrivals.

Likewise, "The Midland Pullman" overtook the 1124 arrival from Man Cen as it traversed the line via Chadd Sdgs.

Magdalia

Established Member
1115 Frome (No catering)
Intriguing, that 11.15 ex Frome - also illustrates that no arrivals were available before noon from Exeter or beyond
I'm looking at the winter 1961 timetable on Timetable World. It has the Frome train arriving at 11.6 am closely followed by the 11.15 am arrival which has 6.30 am Plymouth and 7 am Paignton portions.

When did the Golden Hind start to run through from Penzance?

Magdalia

Established Member
Fairly sure this was some time in the late 1950s, maybe c. 1957. They weren't operational for all that long!
For the purposes of this discussion, whether it is before or after September 1958, when the Kings Cross Master Cutler started, is key.

Taunton

Established Member
The Birmingham Pullman only joined the main line at Old Oak having come via High Wycombe. Possibly it ran on the relief line from Old Oak?

It did. As the schedule above shows, coming in absolutely parallel with the Bristol Pullman - the drivers I think used to look around for one other at Old Oak and contrive this. There were several photos in magazines at the time of this being done.

Incidentally, in 1955 the predecessor GC line "Cutler" arrived at Marylebone at - 11:23, having left Sheffield Victoria at 07:50.

Not back then they wouldn't! The City of London prior to "Big Bang" (the Financial Services Act 1986) was a very leisurely and gentlemanly affair. They would definitely not have started at 8.30 am, how uncivilised. 9-10 am would have been for dealing with the post.

Fascinating (well, it is for us Canary Wharf lot) is the recent book on Barclays Bank's onetime American Chief Exec Bob Diamond "The Bank that Lived a Little". Do get it if this era interests you. Describes that arriving for his first ever job in London, he went into the office on his first morning at 7am to find it empty. More of the staff arrived after 9am than before, and he found them chatting over coffee or attempting The Times crossword. He was appalled.

Things have moved on since then. When the 04.50 Basingstoke to Waterloo was derailed at Wimbledon a few years ago it was stated that 300 passengers were on board. A couple of posters here (probably not from London) wrote that was obviously a mistake for the first train of the day, must be the seating capacity. No, it was indeed the number on board.

Last edited:

Western Sunset

Established Member
I'm looking at the winter 1961 timetable on Timetable World. It has the Frome train arriving at 11.6 am closely followed by the 11.15 am arrival which has 6.30 am Plymouth and 7 am Paignton portions.

When did the Golden Hind start to run through from Penzance?
In May '61, the first daytime arrival from the West was the 0715 Ply/ 0740 Paignton. Due at Padd 1210.

jfollows

Established Member
I have a feeling that they ended at the end of the 1980s ? But then I had left Euston in 1979. (Yes, I am that old, good old nostalgia and history!) At that time the first daytime service from Manchester was 1A10 the 0700, which was booked into Euston at 0934.
From memory, so I could be wrong, I recall that Manchester brought in a "saver" ticket for £9 return with some restrictions. In 1980 the first up train was 1A10 as you say, but by 1983 (I have the timetable, this is not from memory) 1A02 06:20 Manchester-Euston was the first train, 09:06 arrival in Euston, and I think the new "saver" ticket could be used on this early train. At the time it was thought that 06:20 was so ridiculously early that no serious "businessman or businesswoman" would deign to get up that early, so it was OK for cheap tickets.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Intriguing, that 11.15 ex Frome - also illustrates that no arrivals were available before noon from Exeter or beyond - was it a case of "Use the sleeper or else you can even forget a luncheon meeting" in the City?
There is another route from Exeter to London which was popular...

Arrivals at Waterloo (May '61):

0933 B'mth West (Restaurant)
1000 B'mth West (Restaurant)
1008 Exeter Cent (Restaurant)
1020 B'mth Cent (No catering)
1050 Weymouth & Swanage (Restaurant) "The Royal Wessex"
1108 Exeter Cent (Restaurant)
1154 B'mth West (No catering)

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
For the purposes of this discussion, whether it is before or after September 1958, when the Kings Cross Master Cutler started, is key.
Should perhaps have been so specified in the thread title / opening post. ;)

Veteran Member
Some odd points for completeness :

The Blue Pullmans started in 1960 (Midland first, then Western maybe the next year), but presumably had been in planning for some time - and of course were mostly superseded by the Euston electrification in 1966-67.

The East Coast Pullmans offered an early afternoon arrival in London, in complete contrast - and the first decent Newcastle train didn't reach KGX till 1.5pm in pre-Deltic days.

From the West Country, the Golden Hind dates from 1965 IIRC.

The 10.8am arrival into Waterloo from Exeter mentioned earlier only dated from 1957; previously it had been an express from Salisbury (but all srstions from Yeovil).

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Re-Pullmans arriving at Padd, there are photos around showing simultaneous arrivals.
I'm 100% sure you are correct, but I'm surprised I've never noticed those!

Likewise, "The Midland Pullman" overtook the 1124 arrival from Man Cen as it traversed the line via Chadd Sdgs.
That is interesting. So the 6-coach Pullman, with 2,000HP power cars in total, overtook the 7P-hauled Class 1 at Derby, and ran non-stop to St Pancras. The regular class 1 then followed, stopped at least at Leicester (any other stops?) and arrived just 24 minutes later. Almost certainly a 9- or 10 carriage train - so something like 340 - 380 tons trailing load - and lost just 24 minutes on the Pullman timings.

I'd call that a pretty tough run for the Scot or Britannia footplate crew if they could keep time with that train!

EDIT - It means, if there was one stop, just at Leicester, for which we could allow 6-7 minutes, the Pullman only gained something like 18 or 19 minutes over the steam-hauled, heavier train.

Ken H

On Moderation
The game changer on ECML was the Deltic + 8 concept. E management woke up to people wanting a full day in London so fast trains from Leeds earlier and earlier.
in 1978 there was the 07:30 Leeds Executive arriving KX 09:58

but there was a 05:45 arrive KX 09:07 but that stopped everywhere.

They hadn't quite got the idea of being in London by 9 then had they?

Last edited by a moderator:

On Moderation
Early 1990s - I'd have said around 1991/92? I travelled on it in September 1991, so it was still running then.

Status
Not open for further replies.