• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inter City mk2 D/E/F seating in the late 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
As a teenage 'spotter between 1987 and 90(ish), I used to regularly travel around the midlands using West Midlands day ranger tickets. I was always drawn to loco hauled services which in that area at that time meant cross country and WCML Inter City services. I remember that most standard class coach seating was either 1970s blue or 1980s red but I do remember a few mk2 aircon coaches which had a grey seating moquette not dissimilar to the current Chiltern one.

Despite extensive googling I've never seen a pic of the grey seating so I'm guessing only a small number of coaches were so fitted. IIRC they were predominantly used on the internal WCML services from Birmingham to the north west/Scotland, they may have appeared on cross country services but were definitely never used on London services.

Does anyone have any info and/or pictures of this seating, were they perhaps an experimental moquette which was not widely adopted? I always thought they looked a lot classier than red or blue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Could this be what you were thinking of?

From late 1988 onwards 116 InterCity open second mk2d/e coaches were given an interior facelift.

In place of the blue lattice upholstery and blue carpet, a new decor consisting of grey and apricot patterned moquette seating with grey headrests, plus grey/rust/apricot carpeting and new grey laminate for the table-tops, also new vanity units were fitted in the toilets with electric hand-driers, 76 of the vehicles were employed on Cross-Country's Anglo-Scottish services, the remainder being used on InterCity Anglia services.

Status
Not open for further replies.