• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intercités and reserved seating

DeverseSam

On the Bordeaux to Nantes route it is not obligatory to have reservations.

However SNCF nevertheless often shows “Complet” on this route.

Using an Interrail then I can presumably still board a “Complet” train without any seat reservation.

However there are no seat reservations shown at all aboard these trains, is there an online source of which seats will become available at which station? Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

You can still board. You can also try to find a reservation for part of the journey.
The SNCF website doesn't offer a seat map to pick your seat from, so I'm afraid it's quite cumbersome to find free seats. SNCF (and Rail Europe) do show a carriage/seat number before you pay, so you can see at least 1 free seat if you find a journey with availability.

DeverseSam

Thank you.

Would it be correct to say that a normal Flexi ticket carries a seat reservation and has to be amended before boarding, like on TGV?

rvdborgt

Would it be correct to say that a normal Flexi ticket carries a seat reservation and has to be amended before boarding, like on TGV?
It will have a seat reservation indeed. There seem to be 3 types of regular tickets for these trains: flexible (can be used on any train on the same day, without guaranteed seat), semi-flexible (can be changed to another train) and non-flexible (can't be changed).

biko

I used this service last summer travelling with an Interrail when all services showed ‘complet’. When I asked ticket office staff they didn’t know the rules themselves. First they tried to say reservations were mandatory but only after showing them the SNCF webpage which says it’s not, they started saying the conductor can refuse you. Not sure if that’s true or they made it up at that moment. Eventually, I was able to use a TER and then change to the Intercités train from the station where there was availability of reservations, so I didn’t try.

rvdborgt

I used this service last summer travelling with an Interrail when all services showed ‘complet’. When I asked ticket office staff they didn’t know the rules themselves. First they tried to say reservations were mandatory but only after showing them the SNCF webpage which says it’s not, they started saying the conductor can refuse you.
They can refuse you if they deem the train to be too overcrowded. I don't recall if there were any fold-down seats.

DeverseSam

If the last train of the day is complet, I guess an Interrail user has an advantage over a normal passenger in that it’s impossible to buy a normal ticket!