• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intercity first class interior Gatwick express 1984

Richard5608

I was watching a TV advert on YouTube and came across this picture video of there first class interior on launch which was 1984. What other coaches mark 1. 2. 3 etc used this trim was it used on hst stock mark 3s from euston etc. Any info would be great
Screenshot_20240429_011734_NewPipe.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
I was watching a TV advert on YouTube and came across this picture video of there first class interior on launch which was 1984. What other coaches mark 1. 2. 3 etc used this trim was it used on hst stock mark 3s from euston etc. Any info would be great
View attachment 157255
Some Mark 2C, 2D and 2E First Class vehicles certainly gained it. The moquette was known as Tiger Stripe.

The two WR HST sets that first gained InterCity livery had their Trailer Firsts refurbished with IC80 seating that had this moquette as well - I've an 'InterCity 21' booklet with an interior picture.

Richard5608

So other then the other mark 2s only 2 hst WR sets gained this moquette and intercity 80 seats . No other mark coaches gained this trim. I know mark 3b fo coaches I think had intercity 80 seats. So what moquette did br use when they started doing away with orange first class seats on mark 2f mark 3 etc

WesternLancer

Established Member
So other then the other mark 2s only 2 hst WR sets gained this moquette and intercity 80 seats . No other mark coaches gained this trim. I know mark 3b fo coaches I think had intercity 80 seats. So what moquette did br use when they started doing away with orange first class seats on mark 2f mark 3 etc
I seem to recall a sort of dusky pale pink moquette in 1st that replaced the orange, but I rarely used first class in those days so I may be wrong.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I seem to recall a sort of dusky pale pink moquette in 1st that replaced the orange, but I rarely used first class in those days so I may be wrong.
Correct on the dusky pink moquette. The first coaches to get it kept the original seat squabs and white cloth head cushions. Wall panels were white/cream laminate. These vehicles were classed as facelifted. When InterCity started refurbishment of the Mark 2F, Mark 3A and HST fleet new seat squabs were used, new head cushions with moquette finish and a pink/grey style moquette on the end walls.

The Mark 3B fleet were delivered from new with the refurbished style interior except in light browns rather than pinks!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Correct on the dusky pink moquette. The first coaches to get it kept the original seat squabs and white cloth head cushions. Wall panels were white/cream laminate. These vehicles were classed as facelifted. When InterCity started refurbishment of the Mark 2F, Mark 3A and HST fleet new seat squabs were used, new head cushions with moquette finish and a pink/grey style moquette on the end walls.

The Mark 3B fleet were delivered from new with the refurbished style interior except in light browns rather than pinks!
Thanks for confirming - I think from another thread we've not found decent interior colour photos of those interior schemes on line to illustrate them, which would be good to see.

greyman42

Established Member
When InterCity started refurbishment of the Mark 2F, Mark 3A and HST fleet new seat squabs were used, new head cushions with moquette finish and a pink/grey style moquette on the end walls.
Regarding the Mark 2Fs that were refurbished at BREL York, the end panels were actually covered in carpet on the first class vehicles.

Richard5608

Helvellyn so when did the first first class coaches start to get the seat squabs I know the ones you mean the headrest trim is the same as seat trim not with the ones with the white head rest cushions

Secondly when did the Gatwick express first class coaches get the dusky pink trim and new head squabs if anybody knows I'm glad thier are people willing to share the info memories I'm 42 so missed the best era of rail travel. my opinion please nobody take this as being provocative.

greyman42

Established Member
Helvellyn so when did the first first class coaches start to get the seat squabs I know the ones you mean the headrest trim is the same as seat trim not with the ones with the white head rest cushions

Secondly when did the Gatwick express first class coaches get the dusky pink trim and new head squabs if anybody knows I'm glad thier are people willing to share the info memories I'm 42 so missed the best era of rail travel. my opinion please nobody take this as being provocative.
I think it was around 1986/87.

Richard5608

My thanks Greymann 42 but Gatwick express or seat moquette which question is the answer too please

Richard5608

Anybody know when gawick express got the seat squabs in first class the ones without the white cushions please. And what color was used when br refurbished the 4ceps first class with the ones with the white cusion what colour was the moquette used please during the major overhaul around 1979 to the mids 80s I think

Alfonso

Anybody know when gawick express got the seat squabs in first class the ones without the white cushions please. And what color was used when br refurbished the 4ceps first class with the ones with the white cusion what colour was the moquette used please during the major overhaul around 1979 to the mids 80s I think
Very orange

Helvellyn

Established Member
Some images from a BRB/Ian Allan publication called InterCity: 21 years of progress from 1987 (ISBN 0 7110 1751 4)

The first two images show the first appearance of the corporate InterCity moquettes on facelifted Mark 3s. These uses the original seat squabs. In Standard the original 72 seat layout was maintained. In First you see the original headrest cushions and lack of patterned carpet on the bulkhead.
20240505_122623.jpg20240505_122559.jpg

Here is the original Mark 3B interior in brown moquette and with the IC80 seating. When refurbishment of the Mark 2F and Mark 3 coaches started they got this design of carpet and end panel carpet but in pinks rather than browns, matching the dusky pink moquette shown above.
20240505_122724.jpg20240505_122656.jpg

This is a rare photo of one of the prototype Restaurant Standard Modular (RSM) conversions, either 10200 or 10201, with the low back seating used. The production conversion programme would see IC70 First Class seating used with vehicles classed as RFM. 10200/1 would be converted in the late 1980s to bring them in line.
20240505_122744.jpg

Finally here's another rare photo of Trailer First Lounge 40513, the erstwhile InterCity Executive Lounge, that could be hired and inserted into any HST set.
20240505_122809.jpg

From InterCity 125: The World's Fastest Diesels (Ian Allan, 1987, ISBN 0 7110 1705 0) are two BR credited photos also showing IC80 seating but in a Mark 3 or 3A (the ceiling lights/ducts and luggage racks show it's not a 3B).

The first shows the Tiger Stripe moquette, so I suspect this is one of the prototype refurbished HST TFs from the first two WR sets to gain InterCity livery. The second shows that it has a refurbished interior (by the moquette and patterned end wall carpet). I wonder if this could actually be Mark 3A FO 11011 that was shown in Platform 5 books as fitted with IC80 seats, refurbished and also fitted with an accessible (by 1980s standards) toilet, possibly to test the proposed Mark 3B interiors?
20240505_125256.jpg20240505_125252.jpg

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Some images from a BRB/Ian Allan publication called InterCity: 21 years of progress from 1987 (ISBN 0 7110 1751 4)

The first two images show the first appearance of the corporate InterCity moquettes on facelifted Mark 3s. These uses the original seat squabs. In Standard the original 72 seat layout was maintained. In First you see the original headrest cushions and lack of patterned carpet on the bulkhead.
View attachment 157596View attachment 157597

Here is the original Mark 3B interior in brown moquette and with the IC80 seating. When refurbishment of the Mark 2F and Mark 3 coaches started they got this design of carpet and end panel carpet but in pinks rather than browns, matching the dusky pink moquette shown above.
View attachment 157603View attachment 157604

This is a rare photo of one of the prototype Restaurant Standard Modular (RSM) conversions, either 10200 or 10201, with the low back seating used. The production conversion programme would see IC70 First Class seating used with vehicles classed as RFM. 10200/1 would be converted in the late 1980s to bring them in line.
View attachment 157605

Finally here's another rare photo of Trailer First Lounge 40513, the erstwhile InterCity Executive Lounge, that could be hired and inserted into any HST set.
View attachment 157606

From InterCity 125: The World's Fastest Diesels (Ian Allan, 1987, ISBN 0 7110 1705 0) are two BR credited photos also showing IC80 seating but in a Mark 3 or 3A (the ceiling lights/ducts and luggage racks show it's not a 3B).

The first shows the Tiger Stripe moquette, so I suspect this is one of the prototype refurbished HST TFs from the first two WR sets to gain InterCity livery. The second shows that it has a refurbished interior (by the moquette and patterned end wall carpet). I wonder if this could actually be Mark 3A FO 11011 that was shown in Platform 5 books as fitted with IC80 seats, refurbished and also fitted with an accessible (by 1980s standards) toilet, possibly to test the proposed Mark 3B interiors?
View attachment 157607View attachment 157608
Very good to see that set of images!

Davester50

Regarding the Mark 2Fs that were refurbished at BREL York, the end panels were actually covered in carpet on the first class vehicles.
The Sleeper lounge cars had a carpet wall covering too.

sofas-lounge-car-sleeper.jpg

caledonian_sleeper_19.jpg

Pictures of Caledonian Sleeper lounge cars settees and wall covering.

Last edited: