• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

InterCity First Class - is there a better layout or another option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogz

I think variety is the answer.

I agree solo first class travellers are more likely to want a single (ie airline) seat, but then a couple travelling together are more likely to want a table for two.

The 80x offer a good mix.

Groups travelling together may want more privacy, so I wonder if enclosing a few of the bays of four (call them “pods” if “compartments” is too old fashioned) might be a way forward. You could even “pod” some of the single seats to offer an office-like environment.

I believe this has been done on the continent...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Groups travelling together may want more privacy, so I wonder if enclosing a few of the bays of four (call them “pods” if “compartments” is too old fashioned) might be a way forward. You could even “pod” some of the single seats to offer an office-like environment.

I believe this has been done on the continent...

DB have done it, yes - on a second class coach! :)

Mogz

The Germans still have a few traditional six a side on their ICE trains...

1611162747058.jpeg

Which would be great, but what I’m getting at is like these French trains offer, which would mean less need to rearrange the seating in existing carriages...

1611162920406.jpeg

DB have done it, yes - on a second class coach! :)
Sorry, cross-post! Second class? Wow!
I’m also all for their 5 seat plus pram space Second class family compartment thing to come here too, but that’s one for another thread!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which would be great, but what I’m getting at is like these French trains offer, which would mean less need to rearrange the seating in existing carriages...

View attachment 89011

Sorry, cross-post! Second class? Wow!
I’m also all for their 5 seat plus pram space Second class family compartment thing to come here too, but that’s one for another thread!

Yep. I can't find a picture of one now but it was pretty much exactly per that SNCF picture above. 2+1, but with 11 bodyside windows (seats aligned to them) so 2nd class legroom. Green colour scheme if I recall.

Sadly they've had it all ripped out now and been converted to 2+2.

They weren't declassified, they were built like that, tended to be used on the longer IC runs.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I think variety is the answer.

I agree solo first class travellers are more likely to want a single (ie airline) seat, but then a couple travelling together are more likely to want a table for two.

The 80x offer a good mix.
On LNER's 80x sets you have one facing and two side-by-side couple in coach L a 9-car set, one facing couple in coach K or D and none n coach M or E in the 5- or 9-car sets.

On the 91+Mk4 sets you'd have six shared tables in coach M, five in coach L and six in coach K (but no coach L in the shorter train sets), so it's not that great a mix now compared to previously.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On LNER's 80x sets you have one facing and two side-by-side couple in coach L a 9-car set, one facing couple in coach K or D and none n coach M or E in the 5- or 9-car sets.

On the 91+Mk4 sets you'd have six shared tables in coach M, five in coach L and six in coach K (but no coach L in the shorter train sets), so it's not that great a mix now compared to previously.

I'd go for half and half, i.e. 4 tables for two and 8 single airline seats in a standard 8-bay coach like a Mk4. Adjust in a similar proportion for other lengths.

Definitely not cram in an extra one seat and lose the window alignment, not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.