• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting detours Amsterdam-Brussels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Can anyone suggest an interesting route or detour between Amsterdam and Brussels please? I've got most of a day to do it, in May-ish, leaving Amsterdam around 0930 and needing to be in Brussels for about 1800.
Either scenery or odd routes or photo-opportunities or suggested stopping off points?
Preferably avoiding any high-speed trains that need supplements.

I'll have already travelled Liege-Maastricht-Amsterdam earlier in the week.

I looked at going via Utrecht for the rail museum, but wondered how much time you need to do it justice? Also, the shuttle train back from the museum just fails to connect with onward trains to Brussels, giving you best part of an hour wasted.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Antwerp Central Station is v.nice. Centre of Gent is very pretty and quite like Bruges but without the tourists (also has a great bar called Dulle Griet)

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Antwerp - good idea - when I was last there it was still being rebuilt.
IC from Amsterdam, quick photo stop at Antwerp around lunchtime, direct train to Gent, afternoon there and then back to Brussels - might just work nicely. Thanks.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Can anyone suggest an interesting route or detour between Amsterdam and Brussels please? I've got most of a day to do it, in May-ish, leaving Amsterdam around 0930 and needing to be in Brussels for about 1800.
Either scenery or odd routes or photo-opportunities or suggested stopping off points?
Preferably avoiding any high-speed trains that need supplements.

I'll have already travelled Liege-Maastricht-Amsterdam earlier in the week.

I looked at going via Utrecht for the rail museum, but wondered how much time you need to do it justice? Also, the shuttle train back from the museum just fails to connect with onward trains to Brussels, giving you best part of an hour wasted.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

The Utrecht museum is brilliant, though not massive like York NRM or something, but not terribly small either. Spent about two hours there and that was enough to see everthing and take photo's of the collection, and watch the resident NS Class 08 do some shunting (in a rather bizarre livery too!)

Antwerp station is just mad, couldn't believe it! Five levels (IIRC) of platforms and lines, and one epic station booking hall which is just excellent and well worth a look. Trams are just outside as well.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Thanks for the Utrecht/Antwerp info.

Any other suggestions? I guess that whole region is a bit too densely populated to really have any rural/scenic branch lines vaguely between Amsterdam and Brussels.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Not sure about branch lines, most of what I thought would be local lines were actually quite fast runs though still scenic I must say. Utrect Museum shuttle is a branch, involves a reversal not far out too, and you go over the only flat crossing left in the Netherlands, the same as the flat crossing at Newark.

Also, the museum train is often formed of a Sprinter EMU, which aren't going to be around forever, though the guard told us all sort's of stuff has operated the shuttle before, so could be anything. I've seen photo's online of even the museum pieces doing the turns!

From there we went to Rotterdam on a unit, then spent some time spotting/photting then went to Antwerp via the non-high speed route via Dordrecht. It was dark as we were on a late evening service in September so not sure of the scenery, though I remember seeing a few freight stuff here and there, and was loco hauled coaching stock hauled by an electric loco, comfortable seat's I must say.

Taunton

Established Member
The shuttle train to/from the museum is rather longwinded and infrequent, it's actually quicker, and less restricting, to walk through the town. A couple of hours should do for the visit.

Established Member
Scenery in Holland? Apart from the odd windmill up north I think you are struggling for anything from the railway lines. It gets a slightly less flat down South but nothing special.

Antwerp station is interesting. However where they have deepened the station it makes the curves of the station roof look out of proportion. Might just be me but doesn't look so pleasing on the eye as it used too.

Liege station is something to see, and Antwerp is good for a Belgian beer or three.

fowler9

Established Member
Sorry to be a bore but I agree with the Antwerp shouts. We had a similar time frame. Had a couple of hours in Antwerp which is lovely and a couple more in Brussels. Thalys to Antwerp, IC to Brussels and Eurostar out. The beer in Antwerp at lunch time was most pleasant.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Get the hourly service to Vlissingen - ferry to Breskens ( a couple of euros) - Connex bus to Brugges and pick up the train ....(again) - done it , (but I did have business in Vlissingen)

Established Member
If you're into trams then your idea of stopping in Antwerp and Gent works well - a €5 De Lijn day ticket is valid on the trams in both (in fact it's valid on all De Lijn trams and buses throughout Flanders, bargain!). As others have said be sure to allow time for a few Belgian beers as well.

johnnychips

Established Member
Gent is a fantastic city but note that the main station, Sint Pieters is not near the centre. Get a number 1 tram and save a 20 minute walk. Gent Dampoort is rather nearer the centre, but still a somewhat confusing ten minute walk if you don't have a map.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Get the hourly service to Vlissingen - ferry to Breskens ( a couple of euros) - Connex bus to Brugges and pick up the train ....(again) - done it , (but I did have business in Vlissingen)

Cool, Travelled to Vlissingen on Olau Hollandia and then got the little local ferry to Breskens about 25 years ago.

Established Member
Cool, Travelled to Vlissingen on Olau Hollandia and then got the little local ferry to Breskens about 25 years ago.

It must be nearer 30 years ago when I did that, stayed in a holiday chalet in Breskens and learnt to ride a Dutch bicycle (no brakes until you get the hang of it!). Like that idea too, takes you away from the normal routes.

There is lots to explore across in Holland and Belgium, always worth a short trip.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Olau Line - that rings a bell from the dim and distant, when we knew it as the Sheerness to Flushing ferry.

Groningen

Established Member
At this time the discountstore "Kruidvat" has again daytickets for Saturday and/or Sunday for 13,99 euro. Valid all day long; not in Thalys and with supplement for ICE (Amsterdam Centraal - Utrecht Centraal - Arnhem) and IC Direct (Schiphol - Rotterdam Centraal). You can buy the ticket till February 22, 2015. But than another store will come with an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.