• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International BR tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AY1975

Established Member
They were usually in a booklet of similar size to a cheque book, and consisted of two or more coupons, one for the rail leg and one for the ferry leg of the journey. If I remember rightly they usually used to tear out the ferry coupon as you boarded the ferry.

randyrippley

Established Member
tickets I remember 0n the 1980s, if issued at a station were the normal BR credit card sized tickets, Some Irish route ones were on green stock rather than orange/red. They would be one ticket for the whole route e.g. London-Dublin.
Ones from travel agents were paper tear-outs from a duplicate book - size A6 I guess, on red-bordered stock
Each ticket was photocopied as you embarked

Busaholic

Veteran Member
They were usually in a booklet of similar size to a cheque book, and consisted of two or more coupons, one for the rail leg and one for the ferry leg of the journey. If I remember rightly they usually used to tear out the ferry coupon as you boarded the ferry.
I remember exactly the same. I also remember being shown a booklet for a journey from London (probably Victoria) to Baghdad South, and return, with quite a few coupons of different colours contained within it. Trouble was, it was entirely fake, though remarkably true to the original as far as I know! The Baghdad SOUTH destination was of great significance, apparently.

Steamysandy

My recollection is that they looked similar to an airline ticket.The front was white picked out in blue with a sketch of a loco or train from the country of issue.
The Baghdad ticket reminds me of the story that a Gentleman tried to book a ticket to Karachi at Waverley but the journey finished up being booked in about a dozen stages.
When it came time to return,the passenger went to Karachi Station and asked for a single to Edinburgh.He was immediately asked--Haymarket or Waverley!!

You still get something similar if you buy an Irish Sea SailRail ticket from the ferry company, although there is only one coupon covering the whole journey. The cover looks like this and the inside like this.

(Not my tickets or pictures, just the results of a Google search)

Steamysandy

You still get something similar if you buy an Irish Sea SailRail ticket from the ferry company, although there is only one coupon covering the whole journey. The cover looks like this and the inside like this.

That is exactly what I had in mind.Ive still got mine stashed away somewhere.The youngest is now 25 years old!

Established Member
Depends which direction you are travelling in Not a BR ticket but I remember a Parkeston senior conductor showing me a ticket from Moscow to London. At least we assumed it was a ticket, could have been a betting slip for all we could understand.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Depends which direction you are travelling in Not a BR ticket but I remember a Parkeston senior conductor showing me a ticket from Moscow to London. At least we assumed it was a ticket, could have been a betting slip for all we could understand.

If it had 10 to 1 on with the Name "Stalin's Stallion" in the Soviet National Handicap (CCCP Handicapszky) - it probably was.
Kept the population happy as was a guaranteed winner. If not, the horse, jockey, trainer and entire race course staff were on the train to Siberia that evening. Return tickets not supplied as there was little demand.

In reply to the OP - in the 'old days' - at least up to 1975, a BR worker could get a normal looking free card ticket from Belfast or Dun Laoughrie (spelling) to French or Belgium Channel Ports as part of the annual allocation.

If you wanted to go inland into Europe (and had the right to freebie travel) IIRC the ticket was a two part paper one, each about A5 size IIRC, with the starting point and destination written in boxes.

These were valid in all western Europe, plus Yugoslavia and Hungary. (Maybe others were added later). If you went to (say) Turkey, I think you got separate tickets for the Bulgarian and Turkish bits. (I did this couple of times, and kept the tickets for many years, but they got lost somehow.) I hope my memory is correct.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I've had one like that for London Charing Cross to Hamburg via the Oostende catamaran and Liege.

Status
Not open for further replies.