• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

interpretation of railway initials

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennethw

Reminded of the Somerset and Dorset on this forum.
To its detractors it was the Slow and Dirty
To its supporters it was the Swift and Delightful
When it lost the Pines Express. it became the Sabotaged and Defeated

If you are in to brunswick green and copper, watching these trains from the South Devon coast it was God's Wonderful Railway
Supporters of the Other railway renamed it the Great Way Round

There was also the London and Nearly Everywhere else Railway

In Canada, what is now the British Columbian Railway was once the Pacific Great Eastern and became known as Please Go Easy, Past God's Endurance and Prince George Eventually

Any other reinterpretations of railway company initials?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Any shareholders hoping for a quick buck out of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincoln Railway [MSLR] soon discovered it was the Money Sunk and Lost.

Later, it amalgamated into the Great Central and now as a through route from Manchester to London it's Gone Completely.

krus_aragon

Established Member
If you are in to brunswick green and copper, watching these trains from the South Devon coast it was God's Wonderful Railway
Supporters of the Other railway renamed it the Great Way Round

I was led to believe that it was on account of the express route from London to South Wales being via Gloucester, until the construction of the Severn tunnel.

Yew

Established Member
GNER. Great Nosh, Even (a) Restaurant

John Webb

Established Member
I was led to believe that it was on account of the express route from London to South Wales being via Gloucester, until the construction of the Severn tunnel.
The term "The Great Way Round" relates, I was told, to trains to the West Country having to go via Bristol until the construction in the 1930s of the various 'cut-offs' for a route that was considerably more direct from Paddington.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Dredging up some memories from childhood........always liked
London Smashem & Turnover (LCDR)
Muddle & Go Nowhere (M&GN)

Wyvern

Established Member
Any shareholders hoping for a quick buck out of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincoln Railway [MSLR] soon discovered it was the Money Sunk and Lost.

Later, it amalgamated into the Great Central and now as a through route from Manchester to London it's Gone Completely.

Does anyone remember the GCR being called the "Clog and Knocker"? I always thought of it as the nickname of the Stafford and Uttoxeter.

LE Greys

Established Member
The term "The Great Way Round" relates, I was told, to trains to the West Country having to go via Bristol until the construction in the 1930s of the various 'cut-offs' for a route that was considerably more direct from Paddington.

Or in an even more extreme way, you had to go to Gloucester to get to Cardiff before the Severn Tunnel opened. I remember a few cracks about Good Wood Ruined, and Greasy Wet and Rusty, but it is now Gone With Regret.

• The LMS has been 'Ell of a Mess, Loads More Smoke, Let Me Sleep, and Lose 'em, Mix 'em and Smash 'em (the latter being the Goods Department).
  • Similarly the LC&DR became Land 'em, Smash 'em and Over (again from poor goods handling)
  • The M&GNR was the Muddle and Go Nowhere
  • The LB&SCR was sometimes the Long, Boring and Slow Coach Railway, but electrification let to Loud Buzzes and Sparkling Crackles
  • The LSWR was the Long, Slow, Winding Railway, but retaliated with the slogan Luxurious and Speedy Western Route
  • Similarly, the LNWR was the Long, Narrow, Winding Railway, but called itself the Premier Line
  • And I'm afraid the GC is Gone Completely

kennethw

thats so, the Southern route via Salisbury to Exeter was superior, despite the GWR building various cutoffs to shorten their route. Beeching decreed that only one express route to Exeter was needed, if the SR was chosen, then everything west of Exeter would have to negotiate the 1 in 36 to St Davids, then reverse. So the SR became relegated and the longer GWR route retained to avoid this

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Plenty of time while hanging around/stuck on trains to come up with a good few more FCC variants this evening. None of them permissable before the watershed.

Status
Not open for further replies.