• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail first class on Swedish VY Norrtag sleepers

eaet

I've been planning a holiday to Northern Sweden on the night train from Stockholm to Narvik/Lulea. I've been able to book most trains in Sweden using a 1st class interrail pass on the SJ website, but struggled on the Norrtag services.
Firstly it turns out the carriages with first class cabins don't run to Narvik, but even on the Lulea services (91/3962) where they definitely run I can't get the price to change to the interrail reservation fee.

I spoke to SJ customer service, and they keep telling me to add my pass (I've done that to book other trains so know it works, and can see the other seat types change price on the Lulea service, it's just the 1st class ones that don't)

Is anyone here aware whether interrail passes can be used for 1st class compartments on VY Norttag trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

Is anyone here aware whether interrail passes can be used for 1st class compartments on VY Norttag trains?
1st class in night trains can have multiple meanings, depending on the night train. Do you mean compartments with shower and toilet?
IIRC Vy don't offer pass reservations in those compartments, whereas SJ do. Have you asked Vy?

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Vy have chooses not to offer 1st class Interrail pass reservations for 1st class sleeper compartments (ie 2-bed with en-suite showers). It’s a business decision, not a flaw in the booking system.

If you want to take the night train to northern Sweden, you can either use your pass to book a 2nd class sleeper (3 beds, no en-suite) on a Vy train to Luleå or Narvik, or you can reserve 1st class on the SJ night train from Stockholm to Umeå, then change to a Norrtåg train.

Both SJ and Vy have experienced shortages of available 1st class carriages. (All the extra plumbing for the bathrooms is particularly susceptible to damage in sustained cold weather). For some periods in the winter they were only available on alternate trains, or not at all. SJ never normally offers 1st class sleepers on the Gothenburg portion of it’s night train.

Note: SJ trains have a very short booking window. Reservations tend to be open by the middle of the month before travel. Vy night trains tend to be available further out.

Second note: the railway Abisko-Narvik won’t be open again to passenger trains until June. Freight is rolling but the passenger trains will start later.

Last edited:

Zerothebrake!

I've just arrived back into Stockholm from Abisko.

The sleeping cars only started coming through from Boden last week.

Due to the recent derailments they are not carrying passengers over the affected track so there's a bus forward to Narvik from Bjorkliden - but the stock is still going through to Narvik for servicing and crew rest.

The staff have been told that they will know who the new operator will be after December by August.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I've just arrived back into Stockholm from Abisko.

The sleeping cars only started coming through from Boden last week.

Due to the recent derailments they are not carrying passengers over the affected track so there's a bus forward to Narvik from Bjorkliden - but the stock is still going through to Narvik for servicing and crew rest.

The staff have been told that they will know who the new operator will be after December by August.

This winter, there was a lengthy period when (because of the derailments) the Stockholm-Narvik night train ran (instead) to Luleå, and passengers for stations north of Boden had to disembark and change to a connecting train with only seated carriages. This happened very early in the morning northbound and very late at night southbound, which was not appreciated by people who'd paid a premium for the sleeping accommodation. Danish YouTuber and DSB employee Kenny (whose videos can be translated using YouTube subtitles commented on this in his recent birthday trip to Kiruna).

As a resident of Västerbotten, equidistant to Umeå and Vindeln stations, I'm frankly glad to see Vy go. SJ are not perfect, but I hope that they are invited to step in for the emergency contract Dec-24 to Dec-26.

JonasB

Danish YouTuber and DSB employee Kenny (whose videos can be translated using YouTube subtitles commented on this in his recent birthday trip to Kiruna).

Kenny has a great channel. He doesn't post new videos that often, but they are usually well made and a good source of news about what's happening in Denmark. Most of the videos have subtitles as well.

Scottish Youtuber Steve Marsh was also on a trip north to Kiruna recently but made a stop in Luleå on the way.

As a resident of Västerbotten, equidistant to Umeå and Vindeln stations, I'm frankly glad to see Vy go. SJ are not perfect, but I hope that they are invited to step in for the emergency contract Dec-24 to Dec-26.

I agree, Vy hasn't made a great job.

eaet

Thanks all. I suspected it was a specific decision not to offer them but SJ customer service repeatedly telling me to just add the pass made me want to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong!

JonasB

Thanks all. I suspected it was a specific decision not to offer them but SJ customer service repeatedly telling me to just add the pass made me want to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong!
To be fair, SJ's customer service might not know all the details about Vy's rules.

doc7austin

Usually no First Class sleeping cars do run to Narvik.
However, the though-car group to Luleå has them.

The line is closed for passenger traffic, but here is the Ofotbanen from 2022.