• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introduction of VED on zero-emission cars

joebassman

What are your views on the planned VED introduction on electric cars in 2025?

Because the majority of electric cars cost over £40k when new, under current legislation they would also be liable for the extra VED surcharge.

Although I appreciate that eventually VED will need to be charged on zero-emissions vehicles, 2025 seems rather early to start implementing VED when the government is supposedly encouraging the switch to electric cars.

Fortunately, I am able to lease a car without having to pay VED so am seriously considering leasing an electric car as my next car. But if I was buying privately, I feel the government's decision to start charging VED on zero emission cars so soon would heavily discourage me from purchasing an electric car. Especially as the price of electricity keeps rising.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnMcL7

I thought they were only going to charge VED at the standard rate and EVs would be excluded from the over £40K rate which seemed a reasonable compromise given the high RRP of electric cars but I think you're right they're going to be charged the same as other cars above 40K. That's surely going to kill the already weak second hand electric car market given it will mean a couple of years of hefty VED for a three year old car, I've been surprised there are 70 plate Audi E-trons for sale locally less than £25,000 which is already cheap however hefty VED is going to make them less desirable.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I wonder if it will make much difference. Sure, it's an anti-"green" action by the government, but in the overall scheme of things, an extra £180pa is fairly trivial sum. If there is an effect, it's as much psychological as anything, I think; in the same way as "saving" 1p on an item priced at £x.99 rather than £x+1) or 0.1p per litre at xxx.9p on most liquid fuel. It's more trivial than the removal of the new car subsidy which was £5k at one time, I think.

NoRoute

Roads cost money to maintain and so it's reasonable EVs pay road taxes like other vehicles, but that said I don't see the logic for the UK going backwards and making VED completely blind to the size, weight and emissions of the vehicles.

There's no logical reason for charging someone driving a small, lightweight, low emission compact car the same VED as a hulking great 2 tonne SUV or Chelsea tractor, not least because the later does more damage to the roads.