• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inverness - Dumbarton Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

laseandre

Established Member
Hi, I'd like to know the best place(s) to split 1 adult + 2 child singles from INV to DBC.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
If you're using AP tickets, split at GLQ. AP SB is a tenner, plus the single to DBC. (Total: £20 + £6.80 - £26.80 OR £34.20 + £6.80 = £40). This of course deponds on availablity of the Advance tickets.

If not using AP, the SDS INV-DBC via Aviemore comes at £44.90 for an adult. (Total: £89.80)

I would not recommend splitting at any other points as this does not seem to yield any better fares, although I am open to correction :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Get a family railcard.

Splitting at Perth is useful for going to Inverness if not using advance purchase.

Why singles? you save about £1 compared to the cost of day returns. In fact the Perth-Inverness CDR is cheaper than a single.

paul1609

Established Member
Didnt find the Great Glen Way all that interesting myself. The bit alongside Loch Lomond is a bit of a pain on indirect forestry tracks which keep meeting/ are just above the main road A85?
In Scotland I found the West highland, Spey and Southern Upland Way all much better.

djw1981

Established Member
Loch Lomond on the great Glen.....? Loch Ness maybe...even Loch Lochy (my favourite named Loch)

me123

Established Member
Yeah, Paul. Loch Lomond is Balloch sort of area!

Sean, Yorkie's right about the Family Railcard. It'll probably pay for itself over the two trips: if not you wouldn't really need to spend much more. And then you can go just about anywhere with fantastic discounts.

laseandre

Established Member
Paul, the main road's the A82.

And thanks Yorkie and me123, I'll convince my dad to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.