• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irish Rail conditions 9 and 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
Is it just me being thick? How do these conditions work with oneanother?

Condition 9 states clearly break of journey is permitted, yet condition 10 threatens you with prosecution if you use your ticket to finish short. What is the difference? Do you have to intend to complete your journey and if so, how on earth would this be enforced?

I hate to mention the Irish CoC, as it's a horrible anti-passenger document reminiscent of early BR/The Big Four in its anti-passenger nature and I always fear it may give ATOC ideas.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
Assume you mean conditions 8 and 10 of this

www.irishrail.ie/media/conditionsoftravel1.pdf

Certainly looks a bit odd to UK eyes (where you'd expect to see the restriction for Advance only).

Condition 10 starts with "Subject to condition 8..."

If you break your A-B-C journey at B while validly on-route then (by virtue of condition 8) B is a "station ... for which the ticket is valid " - you're not stopping long of short of B - so you're OK (?)

( .. in which case the 'or short' part of para 10 is really only there to cover stopping short on invalid routes ? :? )

berneyarms

Established Member
The reason for condition 10 is that Irish Rail have different pricing scales based on the type of route, frequency and speeds.

Express:
Dublin-Cork
Dublin-Limerick
Dublin-Tralee
Dublin-Dundalk

Economy 1:
Dublin-Galway
Dublin-Westport/Ballina
Dublin-Sligo
Western Rail Corridor

Economy 2:
Dublin-Waterford
Dublin-Rosslare
Limerick Junction-Waterford
Nenagh Branch

Tickets on the Waterford line for example are therefore priced at a different fare scale than those on the Cork line.

It's to avoid (for example) people buying cheaper tickets from Athy to Dublin for use only between Kildare and Dublin.

I would imagine that either station staff or RPU staff would quickly spot regular offenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.