• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irish Rail Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornet

From today's Irish Independent.

Transport Minister Paschal Donohoe plans to carry out an in-depth analysis of how services are used. It will "spell out very clearly" the costs involved in keeping lines open and services running, he told the Irish Independent.

He said the move was part of developing a long-term strategy for land transport in Ireland. Given the enormous amounts of public money involved, passenger numbers across the network "have to increase", he added.

A report commissioned by the Department of Transport, 'A Strategic Framework for Investment in Land Transport', found annual investment in the rail network was €291m, and that the situation was "not financially sustainable" given low passenger numbers on some routes.

Mr Donohoe said the cost of operating the network had to be benchmarked against investment in other transport modes.

"The objective of that (€291m) investment was to ensure that the rail network we have at the moment can be kept open and accessible," he said.

"It would be my objective to commence a consultation process next year on railway policy in Ireland, and the use of it, and the opportunity cost.

"I want to spell out very clearly that we are committed to keeping open the rail lines we are using at the moment, but we do need to communicate to the broader public as to the quantity of investment required.

"I think it's very important that we have a broad discussion as to how our rail lines can be used.

"What we have we are going to keep, (but) demand and use on all these railway lines needs to increase."

Iarnrod Eireann has been hit by falling passenger numbers in recent years, with 37.617 million travelling last year, compared with 45.5 million at its peak in 2007.

This represents a modest increase of 2.4pc on 2013's figures, but concerns have been raised about three lines which carry few passengers.

They are the Limerick-Ballybrophy line, which carries just 23,000 people a year; Limerick Junction to Waterford, which carries 28,000; and the €160m Western Rail Corridor between Limerick and Galway, which opened in 2010 but carries just 50,000.

It is understood that the yearly cost of operating all three lines is €15m. This is despite the three lines carrying just 101,000 passengers over 12 months. By way of comparison, the Dart network in Dublin carries more than 44,000 people a day.

Transport sources said that among the issues was that while the Department of Transport acknowledged the network was expensive to operate and in need of investment, under-utilised lines were being kept open, which added to costs. In many cases, it is quicker to travel by road than rail. One source said the focus should be on "growing numbers on the lines you have".

Iarnrod Eireann operates 2,165km of railway line, and passengers travelled some 16.9 million kilometres last year.

Due to investment in the last decade the company now operates one of the most modern fleets in Europe, while a major resignalling project in Dublin will increase capacity through Connolly Station from 12 trains an hour to 20 from 2016.

The World Economic Forum competitiveness report ranked Ireland 31 out of 144 countries in terms of the quality of the railway infrastructure.
http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...t-unless-passenger-numbers-rise-30902564.html

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/c...rnments-will-invest-in-railways-30902565.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DT611

a couple of thoughts.

its not surprising limerick junction waterford has so low passengers with a rubbish slow service with what, 2 trains a day each way now? same with limerick nenagh ballybroaphy which would never have major numbers or frequency, could have had good numbers at least from nenagh. to late for it now and probably lj waterford as they were and are both being left to rot as IE have no interest. i suspect like rosslare waterford was, they are just being kept to throw out as a cut to satisfy the transport minister both now and in the future until they do go. also not forgetting that if phazes 2 and 3 of the WRC did go ahead (which thankfully it looks like they won't be) the lines would have gone anyway as predicted. and then i wonder will it be on to the rosslare line either south of greystones gorey or wexford take your pick? it certainly feels like were heading that way, all though its felt like that for years so who knows.

irish rail and the government only spent money on making the network safe which it needed doing but speeds should have been improved to the highest possible that the infrastructure would allow. instead we've got a shiny new fleet which can't operate to its full potential, is under capacity and can't be strengthened to demand without others losing out. or if your a customer of the rosslare line, you have little access to long distance speck stock and haven't had for years, how much damage has that done i wonder? from my experience a good bit all be it the motor way would entice people away like the rest of the network.

irish rail come across as uncaring about issues people have with services. they seem to bury their heads in the sand and make excuses, pretending there are no issues. the current government come out about how their going to have a review but in general they seem to only fund the railway grudgingly. they don't look at what the funding irish rail gets is being spent on unless it comes to lines and stations that have been left to rot or that shouldn't have been reopened. and as for the so called national transport authority, what are they doing?

200000000 seems a lot but realistically is it? i don't know. its clear better money management both from irish rail and the government needs to happen. irish rail need to start caring and realizing people have issues, and if they can't improve on speed, find other ways in which to grow traffic. competing with the motor way is a goal that should be reached but until the funding is availible to do so find things that cost little but that could improve peoples journeys that the bus or car couldn't offer. surely they exist? oh and diagram sets so the high capacity is when high capacity is needed, like the dart for example. and the waterford line which seems to lose out all the time.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Maybe Ireland should invest a bit,convert their gauge to standard gauge to allow off the shelf rolling stock.Cheaper in the long term.

DT611

Maybe Ireland should invest a bit,convert their gauge to standard gauge to allow off the shelf rolling stock.Cheaper in the long term.

as much as i would like it to happen in terms of what it could offer, the cost, the disruption, and the potential damage to passenger numbers due to such disruption would be to much. it wouldn't be worth it.

rf_ioliver

its not surprising limerick junction waterford has so low passengers with a rubbish slow service with what, 2 trains a day each way now? same with limerick nenagh ballybroaphy which would never have major numbers or frequency, could have had good numbers at least from nenagh. to late for it now and probably lj waterford as they were and are both being left to rot as IE have no interest. i suspect like rosslare waterford was

I remember back in the 90s travelling Roslaire to Limerick which at that time was extremely useful for connections to Cork and Ennis, and of course it met with the ferry from Fishguard.

At the time it was loco hauled with two carriages and a guard's van IIRC, but even then it was slow and clapped out. After Clonmel I remember the lights failing but having a great view of the moonlight countryside.

Given that Irish Rail then invested so much in DMUs because they were much cheaper to run and more luxurious (!) than the old coaching stock, I always felt that they missed some real opportunities to develop this line.

Yes, I know the towns along it are fairly small, but I remember the main complaint was that the trains ran at inconvenient times, they broken down often. First time I did that route I was turfed off at Limerick Junction onto a taxi to Limerick because the train had "broken down" - ironically when we arrived at Limerick station the train was already there...

Despite opening of the WRC and introduction of new trains, Irish Rail is extremely Dublin oriented. Even to the point that cutting trains to Sligo were considered because "no-one travels to Sligo from Dublin", forgetting all the other towns in-between; but then again if it isn't Dublin.... I actually think that Irish Rail would stop to Cork service if it could just because it isn't Dublin.

Actually ironically due to the economic problems in Ireland, investing in rail might have been a good idea at the time (Keynes anyone?) - the amounts of money given to the banks probably would have paid this many times over...

t.

Ian

duesselmartin

Established Member
could one not make savings on the Nenagh line if one were to direct two of the Dub-Lim ICs via that line? It would save train staff while keeping up the service and not having to change might attract a passenger or two.

DT611

could one not make savings on the Nenagh line if one were to direct two of the Dub-Lim ICs via that line? It would save train staff while keeping up the service and not having to change might attract a passenger or two.
was tried, but sadly it did nothing for the line. infact i think the timetable was all changed at the same time, probably doing more damage. not surprising though seeing as the line is so slow and parts of it are more or less falling apart. apparently it isn't even tamped in places. but of course nothing will be done
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I remember back in the 90s travelling Roslaire to Limerick which at that time was extremely useful for connections to Cork and Ennis, and of course it met with the ferry from Fishguard.

At the time it was loco hauled with two carriages and a guard's van IIRC, but even then it was slow and clapped out. After Clonmel I remember the lights failing but having a great view of the moonlight countryside.

Given that Irish Rail then invested so much in DMUs because they were much cheaper to run and more luxurious (!) than the old coaching stock, I always felt that they missed some real opportunities to develop this line.

Yes, I know the towns along it are fairly small, but I remember the main complaint was that the trains ran at inconvenient times, they broken down often. First time I did that route I was turfed off at Limerick Junction onto a taxi to Limerick because the train had "broken down" - ironically when we arrived at Limerick station the train was already there...

Despite opening of the WRC and introduction of new trains, Irish Rail is extremely Dublin oriented. Even to the point that cutting trains to Sligo were considered because "no-one travels to Sligo from Dublin", forgetting all the other towns in-between; but then again if it isn't Dublin.... I actually think that Irish Rail would stop to Cork service if it could just because it isn't Dublin.

Actually ironically due to the economic problems in Ireland, investing in rail might have been a good idea at the time (Keynes anyone?) - the amounts of money given to the banks probably would have paid this many times over...

t.

Ian

exactly. all good points. problem is IE don't give a dam about the likes of the rosslare limerick line. rosslare waterford/limerick, and limerick ballybroaphy via nenagh = sacrificial lambs for the WRC. rosslare waterford for phaze 1, and the others for each subsiquent phaze if they went ahead, which they aren't now. but lj waterford and limerick nenagh ballybroaphy will probably be held now to chop to satisfy the transport minister when more severe cuts are looked for whenever. then again, CIE/IE aren't called close it eventually or cycling is easier for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.