• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irish Rail's dark doings at Rosslare Harbour

Status
Not open for further replies.

defitzi

<D
j'accuse: Irish Rail of doing everything it can to close the Rosslare harbour -Waterford-Limerick railway.
A reason why IR dislikes the Rosslare-Limerick link may well that it inherited the line but it did not want it.
Irish Rail's current policies at Rosslare Harbour (IE doing everything it can to find reasons to close the link to Wexford,(no stops no stations) as well as the line to Waterford and Limerick, are, some people say, all part of a nefarious plan to rid itself of both lines. I
Closing the last few miles to the Harbour would get rid of the obligatory slow crawl (man with red flag syndrome) along Wexford's quays and the steep, slow climb from Rosslare Harbour.
Iris Rail has worked hard in the recent past, to downgrade both lines, by deliberately ensuring a lack of rail connections, and latterly, abandoning a brand-new foot passenger platform accesed rail terminal in favour of an internal link to shpys for car and truck freight. It believes it can convince the (ailing and cash-strapped) and near bankrupt Government which is desperate to save money, that Rosslare Harbour is is now a ripe candidate for closure.
Suspicions, most people say, are confirmed by the fact that Irish Rail's parent (holding) company, CIE, which owns the harbour is also the holdig company for Bus Eireann, whose services to Dublin and the rest of Ireland have been hugely increased in recent years also favours closure.
That, of course, many other people say, is because there are advocates in Government and elsewhere, who favour selling-off the Harbour (and therby shedding rail assets-encumberances) as a way of lowering deficits and helping re-fill the currently totally depeted depleted government coffers.
Of course, the network of new motorways throughout the land (some yet to be completed and all to be paid for by a bankrupt nation) has nothing to do with closing rail links.....or so some people say.
Now where has all this been seen and heard before?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

holyflyer

From a local Wexford paper :

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Public meeting over railway line

A PUBLIC meeting is due to take place this evening in Wellingtonbridge over the future of the railway line between Rosslare Strand and Waterford.

The future of the line is in doubt as a result of decreasing numbers of users.

It’s estimated that revenue generated by the line covers only around two per cent of its operating costs.

In the not-too-distant past the line was a major freight line carrying around 300,000 tonnes of beet from Wellingtonbridge to the sugar beet factory in Mallow.

However, the demise of the sugar beet industry here effectively shattered the freight usage of the Rosslare to Waterford line.

Closing the line was one of the many cost-cutting recommendations contained in the infamous McCarthy report.

However, the meeting tomorrow is being organised by people intent on keeping the line open.

Local people say the timetable in operation on the line does not facilitate increased usage.

There is only one train in each direction and none on Sundays.

The current service also fails to link in properly with other inter-city services and according to locals could attract more commuters with additional services.

Labour’s Cllr. Joe Ryan said recently that it’s possible to travel from Wexford to Waterford but not back in the same day.

“The ticket machine at Wexford does not even have a Waterford option – but does have Sligo,” he said.

More than 1,500 people have joined a Facebook campaign to keep the line open.

The public meeting will starts at 7.45 p.m. and will take place in Tir na n’Og.

starrymarkb

Established Member
<D

Suspicions, most people say, are confirmed by the fact that Irish Rail's parent (holding) company, CIE, which owns the harbour is also the holdig company for Bus Eireann, whose services to Dublin and the rest of Ireland have been hugely increased in recent years also favours closure.

CIE is the Irish Transport Authority - part of the Government

Also it really is a case of these routes being very lightly used (54000 per year - some UK halts see more passengers)

IT’S EARLY MONDAY morning, and all that’s missing is the tumbleweed and creaking signs. I’m heading east on the 8.50am train from Limerick Junction to Waterford, officially the least-used intercity rail route in Ireland.

This modern two-carriage train can take up to 105 passengers. This is the first service of the day on this route, which has four return trains daily, and there are only five passengers on board. Iarnród Éireann figures show that 54,000 passengers use this line annually – an average of 17 passengers per trip.

In contrast, the Cork-to-Dublin intercity line carries more than three million passengers a year. First stop on our ghost train of sorts was Tipperary town, where two of the five passengers got off. Apart from several Iarnród Éireann workers in fluorescent jackets, the station gave little indication it was still in use.

Of the passengers who got on, local man Michael Kinane, his wife, Noreen, and their two children made up the majority. They were on a family day out, travelling to Waterford. I asked Michael if this stop is always this quiet?

“I wouldn’t have a clue, as I haven’t been on this train journey in decades,” he says. “I pass this station on the way to work twice a day, for the last 35 years, and this is my first time on it in that time. My little boy here wanted a trip on the train, and I’ve been promising him for the last year or so. I should be working today, but I’ve taken the day off for the kids.”

It’s well-known locally that this particular service is under- utilised, adds Michael, and by way of reinforcing his point he relays an anecdote about the route. “I heard it said by someone once that if Iarnród Éireann took all the passengers who use this journey off it, hired a limousine to take them to Waterford and back, and then paid for their dinner, the company would still save money.”

holyflyer

Irish Rail have confirmed the closure. If it really does go ahead this is a line ripe to be taken over by a preservation group and run as a going concern, especially if access rights could be gained to Rosslare Strand & Harbour and Waterford Stations. Daily appropriately timed services using a DMU alongside weekend / holiday season steam specials.

From local Waterford paper :

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Angry scenes as railway closure announced
By Brendan Keane

EMOTIONS ran high at a public meeting, which was held to highlight concerns over the proposed imminent closure of the rail line between Waterford and Rosslare Europort at Wellingtonbridge last week.

The public meeting was organised by the ‘Save the Waterford Rosslare Rail link’ group and was attended by representatives of Iarnrod Eireann, including the company’s District Manager, Emmett Cotter.

The meeting was originally scheduled to take place to discuss the ‘possibility’ that the line would be closed, however, earlier that day Iarnrod Eireann made public the fact that the decision had been finalised and that the line would close within a matter of weeks.

The railway company’s representatives cited the economic non-viability of the line as the reason for the cessation of the service.

“Year on year we were seeing the take-up on the service declining and we had to see how we could address that,” said Service Planning Manager, Myles McHugh. “We looked at the cost base and there is only so much saving you can make without cutting the service.”

He said the “pattern of foot-passengers” travelling on the line had changed dramatically and also commented on the detrimental effect the loss of the sugar beet industry had on the line.

He said passengers who used the train to get to Waterford from Wexford for educational purposes would be accommodated by Bus Eireann.

Mr. Oran Kenny, representing Waterford Chamber, said the decision to close the line would result in a fight with 100,000 people across the south east.

“Politicians down through the years have seen the south east as being a soft touch area,” he said.

However, he said that impression might change in view of the opposition being voiced in relation to the Iarnrod Eireann decision.

Further public meetings are planned over the coming weeks as the committee steps up its campaign to keep the railway link open.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's ironic that the West Coast corridor reopening was to improve cross country links without having to go via Dublin. Now rail travellers from Galway will be able to get to Waterford, but no further...except by transferring to a bus, which makes it more likely they will just take a bus in the first place!

Iarnrod Eireann have been trying to suppress any residual on thsi route for years. They are doing the same thing with trains from Wexford to Rossalre. The 'connection' for the 2115 ferry to Wales now leaves Dublin at 1330 and arrive at Rosslare at 1630, leaving the happy traveller roughly four hours to hang around the terminal with not even a shop open! Mind you, it's probably better to walk up the hill to rosslare Harbour 'town', it's almost as far to the terminal from the new station, the siting of which seems another attempt to deter all but the most determined foot passengers. No wonder people have elected to travel by bus instead - there is now an hourly service that takes people right to the terminal steps!

No doubt the loss of the line will encourage rail companies and other authorities on this side of the Irish Sea to pull out of Fishguard, which must be a massive inconvenience!

The irony of this is that the last time I travelled on the ferry from Fishguard a couple of weeks back it had the highest number of foot passnegers I can remember for several years!

Thewanderer

Established Member
The irony of this is that the last time I travelled on the ferry from Fishguard a couple of weeks back it had the highest number of foot passnegers I can remember for several years!

Which all magically disappear once they get to Rosslare as IE claims there is no foot passenger market!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think the answer to that one is that IE have driven them on to buses and taxi's! Hardly surprising when the rail service has been so poor for the last decade or more!

Even going back to 1997, when I first went to Dublin on this route, you were 'recommended' to take the bus back by IE from Dublin, just in case the train was delayed and you missed the boat! In those days, IIRC, the train was due to arrive at 2100 or so and the ferry went at 2150!

I don;t think IE are at all interested in Rosslare!

defitzi

:cry: Ok not nice to be right -depressing but the question remains: why?
What is the real reason for closure? closing harbour station, getting shot of Wexford Rosslare link? Privatisation of harbour perhaps?
Anyway, if predicted massive outcry does happen there shuld be plenty of folk well placed to squeeze the real truth out of Irish Rail!
Freedom Of nformation request for a start.So now it is Save OUR Connecting Railways.
Oh yes and the big-mouthed Greens have some questions to answer for-as usual.It's their Minister now so let's see what they are made of when it comes to reality instead of bullsh*t! :roll:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Why IE aren;t interested is a very good question! Is the Republic of ireland more suited to coaches for cross country flows? If so, why bother reopening the Western corridor?

The shame is that if the Waterford - Wexford section was served properly, it would prove to be a very useful link for the inhabitants of the 'Sunny South East'. To close it would also weaken the Limerick Jct - Waterford section in my opinion. I don't think a decent service level has been provided on the route for three decades at least!

FlyingScot

Oh noes, I have a holiday home near that line! I live very close to wellington bridge station which is on the line, and I also sometimes go to the campile station, which is also on the line. Irish rail are officially evil now. I hope they make it a heritage line, or there name will suddenly pop up on an assinator's list, if you know what I mean.

irish whistle

There's no way in hell a heritage line will be developed there. Where would funding come from? It is extremely unlikely to draw vast amout of volunteers, especially outside Dublin. It is 30+ miles long, with a major viaduct. The UK preserved line model simply doesn't work in Ireland (And 30+ miles is long even by UK standards).

FlyingScot

There's no way in hell a heritage line will be developed there. Where would funding come from? It is extremely unlikely to draw vast amout of volunteers, especially outside Dublin. It is 30+ miles long, with a major viaduct. The UK preserved line model simply doesn't work in Ireland (And 30+ miles is long even by UK standards).
But isnt there a heritage line in Nothern Ireland? And There are interests in making it a heritage line. I'm not saying that all of it will become a heritage line, just a section. So there is a way in hell.

4SRKT

Established Member
But isnt there a heritage line in Nothern Ireland? And There are interests in making it a heritage line. I'm not saying that all of it will become a heritage line, just a section. So there is a way in hell.

I agree with Irish whistle. The scene in Ireland is just too small to support a full-blown heritage line. The RPSI is the only long standing serious force, and even it can only operate out of a shed in Whitehead, with the most disgraceful platform in the preservation world ;). Rosslare > Waterford is too far from the centres of gravity of Belfast and Dublin, and even if it weren't, I suspect the numbers of enthusiasts even in these cities would be insufficient to keep anything going.

I was struck when on the recent (brilliant) MRSI diesel tour to Tralee by the numbers of English enthusiasts on board. I would have said that it was as much as 60%, and this in a short (by GB standards) 7 coach tour. This would suggest at most 150 Irish enthusiasts on board Given that there are probably no more than a dozen serious main line outings per year in the whole of Ireland (not counting short runs mainly for normals), this suggests that the indigenous scene in Ireland is very small indeed, and any scheme would be heavily dependent on the UK market. For this reason it would have to be near Belfast or Dublin to have any chance of success. The Downpatrick scheme is OK, but is very small even by the standards of some of the smaller GB outfits, and hasn't really got a proper line going somewhere as such.

The obvious line for me if any proper scheme were to be possible in Ireland would be a section of the Antrim > Lisburn line, possibly Antrim > Crumlin. This has the advantages of being self contained, close to Belfast for visiting enthusiasts and a large local population, close to Whitehead for loco exchanges with the RPSI, rail-connected (unlike Downpatrick), and still in situ with reasonable (although not brilliant) track, mostly on concrete sleepers.

To those bold Irishmen who are enthusiasts, I salute you. You are operating in a climate of indifference that simply doesn't exist here, and have achieved much despite this. I've been involved with the RPSI in my youth, and they are among the most dedicated enthusiasts I've seen anywhere.

irish whistle

Yes there is the Downpatrick and County Down Railway, but this is on a much smaller scale than many UK lines (But very much worth a visit and with a fine collection of rolling stock). The RPSI has branches in Whitehead and Dublin, but they are mainline operator. There is a group (www.heritagerailway.ie) called looking at the possibility of a heritage railway in the Irish Republic, but as far as I know they too are looking at a relatively small operation if they ever get off the ground. There also a few narrow gauge lines dotted about the country. Again, these are relatively short; the longest of which, the Waterford and Suir Valley Railway, beniffited from some outside funding and is partly staffed by a FÁS (Irish employment agency) funding.

However, it is extremely unlikely a 35 mile (or thereabouts, don't have the exact figure) preserved line could be run in Ireland (lets face it even in the UK it would be very difficult), compounded by the area in question having sparse population outside Waterford itself. The cost of keeping the Barrow viaduct (including opening span for ships) alone could well cripple a potential operator. So there would be few if any local volunteers. And as for using paid staff, where would the funding come from (considering the amount needed for such a long route). That's before considering whether or not the line would be viable from a tourist perspective. And the enthusiast market in Ireland is certainly no where near enough to sustain it.

FlyingScot

However, it is extremely unlikely a 35 mile (or thereabouts, don't have the exact figure) preserved line could be run in Ireland (lets face it even in the UK it would be very difficult), compounded by the area in question having sparse population outside Waterford itself. The cost of keeping the Barrow viaduct (including opening span for ships) alone could well cripple a potential operator. So there would be few if any local volunteers. And as for using paid staff, where would the funding come from (considering the amount needed for such a long route). That's before considering whether or not the line would be viable from a tourist perspective. And the enthusiast market in Ireland is certainly no where near enough to sustain it.

But I said just a section, not the whole line. That would be ridicolous, a line that long.

4SRKT

Established Member
But I said just a section, not the whole line. That would be ridicolous, a line that long.

But which section? If you started in Waterford it would make more sense from the POV of being in a big town, with good rail connections to the rest of the country. However, if you went just to Campile from there, you'd still have the Barrow bridge to contend with, so the major infrastructure obstacle would be a factor. A line truncated short of the bridge would be rubbish and not worth bothering with.

If OTOH you started at Rosslare, you'd be in a part of the country with a few more tourists, but no big town nearby to supply volunteers. I wouldn't have a great deal of confidence either in Irish Rail's desire to keep the line south of Wexford (must be very tempting to ditch the running on the quays in that town), so you could end up with a line that wasn't rail connected.

irish whistle

But which section? If you started in Waterford it would make more sense from the POV of being in a big town, with good rail connections to the rest of the country. However, if you went just to Campile from there, you'd still have the Barrow bridge to contend with, so the major infrastructure obstacle would be a factor. A line truncated short of the bridge would be rubbish and not worth bothering with.

If OTOH you started at Rosslare, you'd be in a part of the country with a few more tourists, but no big town nearby to supply volunteers. I wouldn't have a great deal of confidence either in Irish Rail's desire to keep the line south of Wexford (must be very tempting to ditch the running on the quays in that town), so you could end up with a line that wasn't rail connected.

Good point. Waterford to Campile would indeed involve major expense with the viaduct. A runround loop would need to be installed at Campile (not impossible but costly enough). I suspect Iarnród Éireann want to retain the section between Waterford and Belview port anyway for container trains. As 4srkt says the other end of the line would have little local populace from which to draw upon volunteers (Rosslare is a practically village). Anyway, groups which have/had bases in Dublin have had difficulty drawing large numbers of volunteers, so I don't see how the likes of Waterford or Wexford would supply the amount needed to run a full size railway operation even it where only a section.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I fear that preserving even a section of the line is pie in the sky.

Still, we can look forward to a very expensive reopening within the next thirty years - it'll be known as the Southern Rail Corridor!!!

FlyingScot

Perhaps they could bring in volunteers with a catchy slogan? Jokes aside, this line is going to be a real tyrant to preserve. it's a shame really, if they built it, I would have went.:(

Ivo

Established Member
So has the Rosslare service just collapsed then in the last few years? I was in Wexford four years ago, and watching the 8-car units running practically on-street once every couple of hours really looked quite something. Surely unless this service has fallen flat as well there is no case to close Rosslare? I can't speak for Waterford, sadly, but I would be very disappointed to see the route go. I remember the WSVR stating some ambition to reach Cork! Well, sod Cork; go to Rosslare.

If only they could :cry:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Irish Rail appear to have lost interest in the ferry service, although the traisn to and from Fishguard always seem to ahve a few people on them.

The coach service between Dublin and Rosslare beats the train hands down in terms of frequency!

4SRKT

Established Member
Irish Rail appear to have lost interest in the ferry service, although the traisn to and from Fishguard always seem to ahve a few people on them.

The coach service between Dublin and Rosslare beats the train hands down in terms of frequency!

And, I would imagine, in terms of journey time. I drove from Dublin to a place beyond Enniscorthy last year, and couldn't believe how quick it was, now that the road has been fettled up and all the larger towns bypassed.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I haven't compared timings, but I;d be very surprised if the train beat the coach now.

irish whistle

So has the Rosslare service just collapsed then in the last few years? I was in Wexford four years ago, and watching the 8-car units running practically on-street once every couple of hours really looked quite something. Surely unless this service has fallen flat as well there is no case to close Rosslare? I can't speak for Waterford, sadly, but I would be very disappointed to see the route go. I remember the WSVR stating some ambition to reach Cork! Well, sod Cork; go to Rosslare.

If only they could :cry:

I don't believe there's as yet any indication that the Wexford-Rosslare Europort line will close, just the Waterford to Rosslare Strand line. The Dublin-Rosslare service does reasonably well (compared to the Waterford-Rosslare anyway) although the Bus Éireann bus is more competitive (practically 24hour service, hourly until 21:30). There is a least one private bus operator too which increases the competition further. There were some six-car railcars on the route until recently, however these were suburban units as opposed to mainline units, so the overall seating capacity was not that high as one might expect. Eight car railcars are too long for most of the platforms on this route, not permitted south of Greystones. Neither are six-car 22000 Intercity railcars currently allowed, only the three-car version.

Don't recall any statement by the WSVR about going to Cork; they are working their way back in from Kilmeaden towards Waterford itself. (Although I admit a journey from Waterford to Cork behind a 3ft gauge Simplex would be rather novel!)

Bittern

Established Member
The UK preserved line model simply doesn't work in Ireland (And 30+ miles is long even by UK standards).

Just to point this out, there are two mainsteam gauges in the UK. Standard Gauge in Britiain and Broad Gauge in Northern Ireland.

4SRKT

Established Member
Just to point this out, there are two mainsteam gauges in the UK. Standard Gauge in Britiain and Broad Gauge in Northern Ireland.

I would hazzard a wild guess that most of the posters on this thread are well aware of this.

Not sure how relevant it would be even if we weren't, as the Waterford > Rosslare line hasn't been in the UK for the best part of nine decades now!

holyflyer

Todays Irish Times reveals that the Rosslare to Waterford line is to close on 21st July 2010. The line cost 4 million euro to run each year but generates just 40,000 euro. Recent legislation means the line is 'safe-guarded' for at least 10 years. Irish Rail is to "explore the possibility of establishing a heritage railway on the route with interested parties which would be of benefit to tourism in the area."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0705/1224274035308.html

4SRKT

Established Member
That'd be why there were so few passengers then

I went on this line a couple of times in the 80s and 90s, back in the heady days when there were two trains a day. Loadings were OK, but obviously nowhere near enough to support 30+ miles of infrastructure including a very long bridge and 3 passing loops. The raison d'etre of this line was the beet traffic, whose loading point at Wellington Bridge made the line very busy for a short period each year. That's gone now, and the line didn't live long afterwards. Sad but inevitable.

holyflyer

From the Gorey Echo :

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Journey’s end

THE little two-carriage train chugs out of Waterford station, past the derelict wasteland of the North Quays, past the old Abbey Church and graveyard at Ferrybank, County Waterford.

Birds fly up from the reeds as the Suir laps up close, with views across to Newtown.

It is a beautiful riverine journey, taking in the vista of Waterford Castle peering through the trees on its island perch.

The sky is an evening blue and I am on the 5.20p.m. departure for Rosslare Strand, one of nine occupants in my carriage, with acres of room to spread out my newspaper.

But I resist reading today because I have taken this trip for a purpose. While it has been given a stay of execution until September the line was supposed to close on July 21 this train is nearing its journey’s end unless Iarnród Éireann stops in its tracks. It is a loss-maker to the Irish Rail company and the die has already been cast.

So I savour each rattle of this once-a-day train, each swoop of birdlife away from the track, each blow of the horn.

She is a modern locomotive, and smoothly glides past the industrial port of Belview.

There is no need for her to stop here with the Norfolkline and Cobelfret containers on the quayside only freight for lorries these days.

Bearing down on us ahead are the giant chimneys of the power station at Great Island billowing smoke.

The train slows almost nervously and I realise we are approaching all 2,132 feet of the impressive Barrow Bridge.

She teeters at the edge as if of a rollercoaster before moving tentatively across this bulwark of rattling metal, the Barrow water flowing brown and tidal far beneath as it meets the Suir at Cheekpoint.

Once across, the train confidently gains speed and within a few minutes pulls into Campile.

One person alights and now we are eight, a fast disappearing breed, me and my fellow travellers.

Two girls chatter happily, possibly oblivious to the historic nature of this train as it moves ever closer to the history books.

We speed past rivers and church ruins, ticking off Ballycullane, Wellingtonbridge and the townlands between. We pass through old level crossings on back roads through the farmland of south Wexford.

The sea makes a re-appearance for a few seconds at Wellingtonbridge, the tail end of Bannow Bay and the great wind turbines near Bridgetown wave as we pass.

Bridgetown is like a metropolis compared to the other village stops, housing estates indicating its presence before the voice on the intercom signals our arrival.

It is our last stop before Rosslare. I wonder as we pass through woodland on the final stretch of our journey how many more of these this little engine will make on this track.

As I walk from the platform to sit on the beach and await my pick-up, I realise it’s a pity for many reasons.

Laid-back Rosslare is tantalisingly close to Waterford but certain realities of the train’s current existence make it an impossibility as a destination.

When we pull in at 6.25p.m. the bread and coffee shop I pass is long shut, its pretty tablecloths teasing me through the window.

The warmth has gone out of the sun and the sand is cold under my bare feet, as I watch the holidaymakers who have spent the day here departing for their tea. It is not a train for day-trippers, nor for commuters.

There is no train to meet it and take people on to Wexford town until 7.56a.m.

the next day. It is not much better in the other direction, with only one train a day at 7.06a.m. and nothing prior to that to bring commuters to Rosslare.

Why this line has never been embraced is anyone’s answer. But for the next month it is there and worth the trip. For long enough thereafter, unless the local lobby for its survival breaks through Iarnród Éireann’s resolve, it will be the tramping ground of walkers, until the brambles and bracken that have for so long kept their distance take over.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Further reporting in the Gorey Echo :

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rail revolution for South Wexford

A MODERN, new South Wexford light rail system has been proposed to ensure rail travel continues between this county and Waterford.

A British tram operator plans to have the Red Iron Railway Bridge in Waterford restored to its former glory as part of a plan to save the Waterford-Rosslare railway line.

This potential three phase development could also pave the way for the rejuvenation of the old Tramore-New Ross line via Waterford through a restored interconnecting route.

The British-based operator is hoping its ambitious plan for the line which Iarnród Éireann has applied to withdraw its existing service from, will come to pass.

A permit would be required for the lease or sale of a State-run line to a private operator.

The British operator aims to create a circular light rail loop around Waterford city centre which would service Waterford Regional Hospital, Waterford Institute of Technology and the city’s industrial estates.

“Access across the River Suir from the Railway Station will be by means of the disused Railway Bridge to the North West of the city centre (at Grannagh). A NorthSouth interconnecting service is planned from New Ross to Tramore, utilising the disused rail routes,” the proposal states.

The first phase of the proposal would focus solely on the existing Waterford-Rosslare route, with services running hourly in each direction between 6am and 10pm. “Safety procedures will be implemented for the safe interaction of the light rail vehicles with the existing heavy rail services,” the proposal reads.

“The trams would in fact be operated in Tram/Train mode as determined by the current trials in the UK.”

The proposal outlines that three trams would operate on the line on an ‘end to end’ basis while a further three trains would supplement the ‘end to end’ service between Waterford and Campile.

Park and ride sites would also be provided for at least two locations along the South Wexford line, namely Dunbrody Abbey and Gorteens.

Modifying the line to accommodate trams could, says the interested party, ‘be carried out on a between trains basis, allowing the existing train service to continue until the switch to Light Rail operation was ready to be made’.

Each tram would have seating for 74 passengers, with a total capacity of 180 and would be wheelchair, pushchair and bicycle friendly.

“Access across the River Suir from the Railway Station will be by means of the disused railway bridge to the north west of the city centre. A North-South interconnecting service is planned from New Ross to Tramore, utilising the disused rail routes.”

A meeting has taken place between the interested party and the ‘Save the Rail’ group based in Wexford (chaired by Tanya Fenlon), along with Mark Gleeson of Rail Users Ireland. To date more than one operator has expressed interest in the line, which Iarnrod Eireann has condemned as economically unviable.

Presently only two services operate between Rosslare and Waterford City daily, one leaving Rosslare at 7a.m., with the return journey at 5:20p.m. “The present timetable caters for very few passengers,” Ms. Fenlon said.

“The fact that the train leaves Waterford at 5:20p.m. means that it doesn’t fit in with the normal working day.

“Apart from commuters, many more people would use the line if the times were more logical and if connections to the wider rail network were facilitated.”

The National Transport Authority, (which is currently debating the future of the line as operated by Iarnrod Éireann), is expected to announce its final decision in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.