• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irish Ticket

Nutmeg

Hi all, I'm a graphic designer in TV and you've very kindly helped me in the past. I hope someone can help me again.
I'm working on a drama set in 1868 Dublin, Ireland and need to create a railway ticket for use as a prop. The specific journey details are not important. It's just scripted as a 'used railway ticket'. The details just need to be correct for the year and location. Can anyone point me towards images of tickets from this time? Many thanks, Mary

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

etr221

At that time, I would expect Irish tickets to be just like British ones, i.e. Edmonson cards, as Ireland was part of the UK, and its railways members of the RCH (Railway Clearing House).

But for more detail, I would point you at the Irish Railway Record Society (they have a London Branch), who I imagine can produce something for you.

WesternLancer

Established Member
If they were indeed Edmondson card tickets in 1868 I would assume examples like this would be in the style concerned.

But I don't think these examples pictured are that old but if the ticket shape was an 'Edmondson' the only variable would be the wording style / style of typeface printed on the ticket

If used, you would expect them to be clipped / punched as some of these clearly are (vast majority of stations would have a person in a booth to check ticket before access to the platform was allowed, and they would clip the ticket. Other clipping of the ticket might happen en route during a check on the train for example, though you must remember that many carriages could not be walked through - either from one carriage to the next or even one compartment to the next within the carriage, so checking tickets at the start and end of journey when entering or leaving the platform

Someone can explain why some tickets get torn in half as in some of the pictures. I think it's probably if they are return tickets and the outward portion is torn off at the completion of the outward leg of the journey, the other half to be used for the return leg.

My search term for images was 'Edmondson ticket Ireland' if that helps.

Nutmeg

Hi there, many thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the Edmondson ticket as I've produced them for various TV dramas.
It seems that finding an image of one from this specific time in place is very unlikely.
I can figure out what details to put on it using knowledge of the lines and stops at this time. But if anyone can give me any helpful information it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi there, many thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the Edmondson ticket as I've produced them for various TV dramas.
It seems that finding an image of one from this specific time in place is very unlikely.
I can figure out what details to put on it using knowledge of the lines and stops at this time. But if anyone can give me any helpful information it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Probably the core expertise would be this society:

see the contact us page
If you are seeking help with tickets etc. in connection with a book, magazine article, TV, radio programme etc , we are always happy to help, but please remember it may take some time to research and provide an answer.
But I would think worth getting in touch as your query may be straightforward for their experts. I suspect they have members that use the forum too.
I note their site also includes this link to a substantial collection held by Birmingham City Library but it does not look as if the collection is digitised image wise

or an archived page with a bit more info: